?What should I do, if anything?

Old 03-09-05, 10:06 AM
?What should I do, if anything?

In class today, we took our mid-terms. Before the instructor came into the classroom, someone found the answer key and rattled off all the answers to the class. I say more than 95% of the class cheated. It was obvious when grading papers since everyone in the class, with the exception of two people, made 100% on the mid-term.

Where does my program of honesty and morals end in this? I didn't cheat, but if I let the instructor know that most cheated on the exam, doesn't that fall into the category of me 'confessing the sins of another'?

I am also a member of the honor society. Am I upholding my oath to the school and community if I keep my mouth shut?

Sheesh, why is trying to be moral and responsible so confusing to me?

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 10:18 AM
before i cast my vote on this, let me get this straight: someone rattled off all the answers, so you heard them. so how are you saying you didn't cheat, when you heard the answers?

Old 03-09-05, 10:37 AM
Yes but it wasn't answers in that sense, only the letters that represented the answers. The tests are always multiple choice, and there were 20 questions.

I didn't want to cheat. I want my grades to be mine - good or bad. A classmate and I were talking during this since she didn't want to cheat either.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 10:40 AM
Oh, and I guess I should add that I'm really good at blocking out things I don't want to hear. Comes from years of being a mom with some really talkative kids and loud music that I've just learned to block out.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 10:42 AM
did you get one of the 100%?

Old 03-09-05, 11:03 AM
No, I can't seem to get the megabytes and gigabytes stuff straight. Missed the same silly question on the chapter test, too.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 11:25 AM
did you at least get an A? what i'm getting at is, if it won't benefit you to cause everyone to have to retake the test, then do nothing. you have a clear conscience, you know you didn't cheat. don't be a rat. just let it lie. it doesn't happen very often that the answer sheet is left lying around, especially right before a test, so [most] everyone enjoyed a surprise one-time break. let it go. it was only 20 questions and multiple choice. everyone knew the test was coming (not a pop quiz) so most everyone studied, so most everyone probably would've done pretty well anyway. right?

that absent-minded teacher sounds like a real winner! speaking of which, instead of even considering ratting the class out to the teacher, you ought to be considering reporting that teacher to the department head or higher-ups. leaving the answers to a mid-term laying around in the classroom? brilliant!

however, if you flunked the thing, then rat them all out like there's no tomorrow, retake the test, and enjoy a better score the second time around!!!!!!! ha!

BTW, when did you take any "oath to your school & community"??? could you maybe be making too much of this? you're on the honor roll because you've worked hard & made good grades. that doesn't mean you've been elected Queen Police Watch Dog over Everyone.

most of them cheated & that sucks, but it just goes to show you that, if given the opportunity, most people will take the easy way out if they think they can get away with it. at this point in time, you're better than they are. just keep it that way. don't turn around & become "the snitch". then you'll feel guilty about THAT, won't you?!?!

Old 03-09-05, 11:53 AM
Very few people studied for the test, and even fewer knew the mid-term was today since he didn't tell us until Monday at the end of class, and a lot of students weren't there. I even forgot that we had our mid-term in that class today. I mean, I studied, but not with that in mind. At my age, I have to review often to ensure that it isn't in short-term memory, but actually embedded in my brain for the long haul.

I'm not just honor roll, or Dean's list, but a part of the Honor Society. I was inducted at a ceremony last week, we took an oath, and signed the register (the equivelant of signing the oath). It honor to be asked to join the Society, and it took me having a 4.0 and at least 15 hours to be invited, plus another member or sponsor has to approve you based on your reputation, ethics and morals.

I don't think it should matter if the test key was left on the table for someone to find or not. School policy is that there is to be no cheating, whatsoever. What's the difference, then, for someone to look at another's paper while taking the test? Its there, visable and available. Still doesn't mean that its right.

From a parent's point of view: what about those kids that cheated. Are we as adults cheating them out of being responsible by allowing this to happen, and are we cheating them out of knowledge they need to gain in this class? I can sit down and do every bit of my child's homework, but how is that going to benefit my child in the future if she/he doesn't know the material? They could study the stuff long enough to take a test and pass it, but what about the long term effects. There will be none other than they are sent out in this world without actually knowing what they need to know to survive or move forward in this world since they have a shakey foundation of knowledge at the start.

From a studen'ts point of view: is it fair that I, as others, spend countless hours with our noses in books, learning the materials to earn our grades, while others get the same grades and never do anything but show up in class and cheat on the major tests?

I think that I will approach the instructor since its not only unfair to me and the students that actually study and apply ourselves in class. And as a parent, I don't think its fair to the students that cheated to allow them to cheat and get away with it. This will lead them to believe that its okay to cheat as long as they don't get caught. As an adult, this latter reason is the most compelling reason for me. As an adult, I cannot turn my head and allow children to fail themselves or be failed by adults like me (if I turn my head and ignore this).

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 12:02 PM
see? i knew if you talked it out enough, you'd come to a decision that's right for you!!!

but i still say the instructor needs to be told on, too!!!

Old 03-09-05, 12:14 PM
Its not uncommon for an instructor to leave papers on his desk. I mean, the students have no business being at his desk rummaging around.

I leave my car unlocked sometimes. If its okay for someone to rummage around a teacher's desk then its okay for someone to open the doors and take stuff? I mean, its either right or its wrong. There are no gray areas, no matter what the scenerio.

I've talked to my kids (separately) about this, 20, 17 and 12 years old. They each agree that I should let the instructor know what happened. The youngest said "if adults don't look after the kids, who will?"

I like his way of thinking. Too bad adults don't feel that way. I'm not on a soapbox about this, but its the little things like this that adults tend to ignore and/or brush off. Our kids today are the one's paying the price.

Kay

Ps. I'm not worried about my grades. I have an A in all my classes except for one. Its a C. I now have a tutor in that class because I struggle so much with it. A 'c' is passing for my major, but I know I could do better with a little help. Its a personal thing for me. Took me 20 years to get to go to college, and I'm not going to just 'settle' for a grade. I plan to continue to do the very best that I can.

K.

Old 03-09-05, 01:05 PM
you're right. you really are.

and i'm sure those "kids" will be thankful for your honesty & wisdom in showing them the error of their ways and "looking after them" by setting the record straight with their instructor. i just hope they don't express their gratitude & appreciation by slashing your tires!!!

okay, that was sarcastic, but it could play out that way, if they figure out it was you who ratted on them. and being "the older student", you will be suspected first. just be careful & sure that's what you want to do. a lot could've been riding on that test for some of them, and they might not take too kindly to having to retake it.

i know that what you're wanting to do is right, i'm just not sure it's what you should do. why not ask your sponser or another HR member & get their opinion?

Last edited by Annette; 03-09-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 03:13 PM
I've thought about that, too. You know, he could just flunk the whole class. My classmates will hate me forever, too. I mean, they are that childish in class, they'll be that hateful in other ways too.

Oh well, have had my tires slashed before, and windshields broken out of my car. No biggie. I just hope they don't discover who told. I will use a friend's email account and not sign the email. We will just have to see what happens.

I doubt any of the kids will learn anything from this now, but maybe they will take notice later in life.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 04:33 PM
Or as one teacher said in high school..

NOBODY likes a tattle-tale.. NOBODY.

Old 03-09-05, 09:45 PM
tae
a few thoughts.....
by college, you will not change anyones mind about "cheating" or right and wrong.
these are not "kids" but adults already.
if you cant openly and proudly "tell", then you probably dont really believe in what you are doing.
there is a difference in getting a passing grade, and actually learning something.
instead of "ignoring" them as they told the answers, you should of spoken up right then, and insisted that they stop it.
do you really care that they cheated, or that they got a better grade than you?
before you do anything, do some soulsearching, and be honest with yourself. for the rest of your life you will know what to do, and what you can live with(yourself)
you've got to be happy with yourself.

A byte is usually enough to indicate a single character in a file -- say, a letter or a number. A grouping of 1024 bytes is called a kilobyte (KB); 1000 KB, or 1,024,000 bytes, equals a megabyte (MB). Larger units include the gigabyte (GB), which equals 1,000 MB, and the terabyte (TB), which is way up there at 1000 GB -- 1,024,000,000,000 bytes.

Old 03-10-05, 03:56 AM
Personally Kay, if I knew that I got my grade honestly then I wouldn't let it bother me. The cheaters will pay for their deeds in the end when they have to use the knowledge they don't have. If you do decide to inform the teacher do it in private for sure. Either way you know you earned your grade and the cheaters will always be cheaters.

Old 03-10-05, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
The pain of not doing the "right" thing would be greater than the sum of each students wrath it you were found to have ratted them out.
Their lives will not be altered in any way by this good mark. Kinda like winning twenty dollars on a lottery ticket........... so what!

But, whatever you do I'm sure it will be right for you, just don't get caught.

Old 03-10-05, 07:39 AM
Now that I've slept on it I've come to one conclusion. I am an old naive person. I can't change anyone in this, just make my life miserable. As Annette said, the test key should have never been accessible like that anyway. It was, afterall, sitting on top of his desk.

I guess the only good that can come out of this whole incident is that I did get a chance to get my kids' view on it, and maybe it will help them in the future. As far as the class, all I can make is a room full of resentful young adults.

I guess I was feeling guilty too. Why didn't I stand up and say something while they were getting ready to cheat? I've been a mom too long, but have to remember that these aren't my children. I'm still stuck in this mode that I feel so honored to be able to go back to school. I hate that I waited this long. These kids have an opportunity of a life time in their hands, and their wasting it - yet I didn't say anything at the appropriate time. Its just one of those I have to accept, and leave it alone.

The question on the test that I missed was: a billion bytes. I chose megabytes, which was wrong. Should have been gigabytes. Like I said, I missed that same question on the chapter test earlier this semester.

Spring break is coming up next week. Apparently I really need a break!

Kay

Old 03-23-05, 12:22 AM
Update:

Apparently I didn't need to do anything anyway. He figured it out on his own. Our class is the worst of his 3 classes, yet our class did great on the midterm. He didn't even figure in the midterm test grade when posting our mid-term grades. He still hasn't decided if he's going to have us retake the exam or just let our class grades tell the story for the part of the semester.

Kay

Search this Thread