Surgery is done! And I feel miserable!

Old 03-18-05, 09:51 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Surgery is done! And I feel miserable!

Well, it's now 11:52 pm and I can't sleep. The anestesia has finally pretty much worn off.

I'm in a lot of pain/headache and my teeth hurt.

He put splints in my nose which will be removed next friday.

I won't type a lot in this post because I'm on a lot of drugs, including Vicadin.

When I breathe in, I can feel that my passage ways are a lot clearer. He said it was as lot worse than he thought. I had a sist and my bone was pushing over on "Something" I dont know the techical name, and that is mostly what was causing me not to breathe.

It has been very difficult for me to stay asleep more than an hour or so. I keep waking up and sniffling, which I can't help but to. He did 5 different procedures, instead of 3. I don't have the technical names right now, as all I can remember is the name of one. "Septoplasty"

I'll catch up further with details either tomm "Sat" or Sunday.

See ya!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-05, 01:56 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Well, here I am again, a few hours later at 4 am.

Can't sleep once again, so I figured I'd pull my paperwork and tell you, ALL of the procedures I had done:

1. Left Sinus Endoscopy
2. Maxillary Antrostomy
3. Bilateral Terbinate
4. Cauterization Septoplasty
I can't read the 5th one.

All of those equal OWEEEE

Too bad they don't use easier words like "Roto Rooter Job"

He said it's going to suck for the first few days and then it will get better.

Old 03-19-05, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
This is a good thing that you are miserable and feeling some pain...................Much better than if you were feeling nothing.

Get well soon.

Old 03-19-05, 05:40 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Greg,

It's now 7:45 and still not getting much sleep, but I am feeling a bit better.

I would have to say that unless someone NEEDS this surgery, I'd really think about it before hand and plan on taking a week off of work. Definately have someone with you for at least the first 24 hours you're home. Remind them that they aren't going to get any sleep either.

I had/have a lot of anxiety from learning how to breathe with these splits in my nose, so that was part of the problem with me not being able to sleep. It was mostly the pain.

Old 03-20-05, 12:58 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
its now 3 pm. "Sunday. I just took two vicadin,anixity meds and antibodics. I can hardly keep my eyes open,so im outta here.

see ya

Old 03-20-05, 03:15 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
It's now 5:20 pm Sunday and I woke up again, but am slowly starting to feel a bit better. I don't know "Exactly" what all of surgeries meant, but my girlrfiend won't tell me just yet on how bad it really is/was because I've been under so much anixity that I haven't been able to due much of anything but keep waking up and feeling like crap. It's been so bad, that I've been on a sleep medication called Ambien before the surgery and that use to knock me out in less than 5 mins and now it does nothing.

I know a lot of my postings right now are in a way useless, but I would like others know what someone is experiencing first hand from this surgery.

Annette, I do believe one of surgeries that I had was one of them that your husband was afraid to have. Like I said, I don't know the full detials just yet and this screen is blury to me as I'm typing, but I'm bored out of my mind too.

Old 03-21-05, 04:06 AM
Glad to see you're better and sure hope I never have to go through that.

Old 03-21-05, 07:23 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Believe me mattison,

Unless you were in a position like me where you had no other choice, I would find alternative methods first. I wouldn't allow yourself to be put through a ringer like I was.

Am I able to mention my Doctors name who did a great job on my surgery? Or is that promoting? I was told about the pain, etc before hand, but I truly believe he did a fanomanal job and I'm very happy with the results so far. I will be recommending him to everyone I know.

Old 03-23-05, 12:20 AM
Mike,

I haven't had this surgery, but have contemplated something similar since I suffer from severe sinus pressure/infections on a regular basis. I know of two people that had surgery to relief this type pressure and they said that after the surgery they wondered if they had made a mistake because they were more miserable than before. However, after they healed, they both highly recommended it and said that it was the best 'suffering' they'd ever been through. It solved their severe sinus pain/pressure and they felt so much better all the time after having the surgery. They also mentioned that they slept better at night.

I do hope that you are feeling better as I post this. I can't imagine trying to suffer through that type of pain. You had such invasive (sp?) procedures done. Try to rest easy, and remember that the pain won't last forever. One day you will feel better than you have in a very long time and life will be good again for you!

Kay

Old 03-23-05, 01:56 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

I still feel bad, but not nearly as bad as when I origionally wrote that post.

I had A LOT of anxiety. So much to the point that it's been advised to NEVER have elected surgery ever again. Elected= Surgery that isn't a necessary thing or a matter of life or death.

There are these little breathing tubes known as Stints or Packing. They are meant to keep your nasal cavity in tact during the healing process and they come out one week later. It could vary from Doctor to Doctor.

I can honestly say that even though I'm still going through the healing part, I can already take a deep breath and breathe completly in and out without feeling any blockage.

You can't blow your nose at all, and you're not supposed to sniffle either. Ya, I'm thinking what the heck too. How am I going to get that stuff out of there, well, I cheated a little and when I take a hot shower, it loosens it up and I lightly blow my nose. "Just barely" If nothing wants to come out, I don't push it. I have also used almost two bottles of saline spray to keep it moist.

I tend to get a raw sore throat and also raw in the top, back, roof of my mouth. There really isn't much that I know you can do about it. I've eaten more ice chips in the past week, than I have probably in my whole life. It was also an excuse to get ice cream too. i.e. Push-ups and Dreamsicles. Mmm mmm mmm.

You won't feel like doing ANYTHING for probably the first 4 or 5 days after surgery. Some people probably recovered faster than I, but I have a real problem with trying to adjust the way I breathe.

I have a sleep disorder, so I'm on Ambien "You've probably heard of it or seen commerials for it". Let's put it this way, I have so much anxiety, that it doesn't put me to sleep, nor does it make me tired. I have so much anxiety that it fights it off. Before the surgery, when I would take it, I'd be asleep in about 10 mins or less and then be able to sleep for at least 7 hours. Now, with or without Ambien, I'm lucky if I get 3-4 hours of sleep and even then, it's not well rested. Like right now, I went to bed at 11 and I got up at 3:30 to take a shower and try to clear my nose.

Thank god I only have til Friday until the stints come out. He said, once they come out, I'll notice a world of difference.

After speaking to several people about how I feel the medical people before my ENT Dr were treating me, they said, "I got Screwed" and that they kept me around for revenue. Pretty sad when every person you tell the story to says the same thing as their diagnosis.

My ENT guy is wonderful. I didn't know how to react when he told me after being in his office for 10 mins that "........." is the reason you can't breathe and you need surgery. I didn't know whether to hug him and say thank you or go back to those other doctors who put me through the ringer for the past 3 years and tell them where they can shove their diagnosis of my problems.

It still amazes me how they can take a camera up there and also their tools to clean out all of the areas and fix whatever needs to be fixed. That has to take some steady hands. When I first saw him, he showed me on the camera with the thing up my nose, "See how I'm able to move it down into these areas, but now watch on this side, I can't get my camera past the begining point" Deviated Septum" Crooked. He said, "You would think that if one side is bent over and closed, that would leave the other side wide open. I said, well ya, he said, no, it's actually the opposite. It closes it also.

I really don't think there was much more he could have done to my sinus cavity to clean it out and fix it. I pretty sure i had just about every sinus surgery there was.

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 03-25-05 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 08:32 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Well, here we are, Day 6. and one more day until the stints come out. Stints= "The things that hold your nasal cavity in place while healing" They're sutured in.

My ENT says that when he removes them, it will be a world of difference for the way that I breathe and in time with the healing process, it should be a great thing.

Having these things in, keep you miserable. We went to Max and Erma's last night and after drinking some hot tea "Some funky herbal brand" I about lost my stomach at the table. It's probably because I still have anxiety going and I can't fully relax or sleep more than about 6 hours at one time, which is very little for me normally. "Sawdustguy" needs his beauty sleep.

Old 03-24-05, 09:31 AM
Mike,

Could you please describe for me the anxiety you feel? During the day I feel fine, but I have noticed that night time, especially bed time is when my thoughts run 150,000 mph and I start what I call "fretting". I have the worst time going to sleep. Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Kay

Ps. I've had a sinus headache and pressure that last couple of days, and the sinus meds seem to aggravate these feelings. I even am frustrated in my sleep while on meds.

K.

Old 03-24-05, 10:31 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
It's like learning how to breathe all over again. It's having a constant stuffed up/runny nose and not being able to blow your nose to clear it and you just have to deal with it. Then having the pain of my teeth, headache and if I move my nose just a little, it hurts because of the stints. It's trying to do anything to relax and feel comfortable and not being able to do it no matter what I try. All of this should come to an end tomm after he removes the stints.

As mentioned, the surgery process stinks, but there is definate light at the end of the tunnel.

If you've tried nasal inhalers and meds, etc from your regular doctor and nothing is working, it could be a good time to get a referal to go see an ENT.

Don't allow your doctor to continually give you different meds in the hopes that it will clear it up. After a few meds and maybe some tests, I'd demand "poiltely" to get a referal to an ENT. If the doc won't, then call up your ins co. and find out who's "In the network" and find out what your benefits are for nasal surgery, if needed.

I have blue cross blue shield of Illinois PPO. Surprisely enough, they covered the surgery 100% and I'm only responsible for my $250.00 deductable. From talking to people, they say I got VERY LUCKY and have great coverage.

A lot of people want to skimp on what their insurance policy will cover and understandabally because it's so expensive, but you never know when you're going to need it.

Old 03-24-05, 11:34 AM
I know the feeling of having doctor's constantly wanting to test and try different things on you. All of my doctor's want to blame my allergies on the sinus pain and pressure. That can't be true since the worst ones are like what I'm experiencing now. It is due to the pressure changes in the weather. We had a storm, pretty bad one, come through a few days ago. Tornadoes, etc. I've tried to pay attention when certain types of sinus pressure/pain hit. This one has affected the sinus cavities at the top of my skull and right behind the bridge of my nose. Of course, it has now started affecting my sinuses on the right side of my face, behind the cheekbone/eye.

The doctor's want to dismiss what I already know. I've had two top teeth extracted from that side because of the simple fact that the teeth were rotting from the inside out AND my roots are literally millimeters from the sinus cavity. This has stopped about 75% of the headaches, which use to occur weekly. I get a sinus infection and it would cause my teeth to become infected as well. I also get ear infections from this crud as well.

I've also noticed that if it is pressure related, then it will not move from the right side of my head to the left. However, if its allergy related then eventually both sides become infected and even though it moves from the right to the left, at one point it will be both sides at once.

The pain makes me frustrated and causes me to panic. After awhile you just can't believe that the pain will ever go away. There are times that I can't get the pain to even subside.

I may set up an appointment with my doctor specifically for him to refer me to an ENT. This way maybe I can find out exactly what's going on in there and if surgery is a worthy option. Who knows, it could be something simple or it may end up needing surgery. Somethings got to give though. They are becoming more frequent (headaches, pressure) even with me taking antioxidant vitamins and trying to eat healthier, etc.

Kay

Old 03-24-05, 07:16 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
If that's what's going on, without further adue, I would set up an appt with an ENT. For a long time, I didn't want to find out why I couldn't breathe, because I thought it might be Throat Cancer or some other type of cancer from all of the chemicals, dust, toxic fumes, etc that I breathe in from doing this for a living and how many years I haven't worn a mask.

It got to a point where I couldn't handle it anymore and had to find out why I couldn't breathe.

Old 03-25-05, 07:29 AM
I tried something different last night, and actually got a good nights sleep - which makes coping with the little bit of pressure and pain I have today a lot easier.

I took my claritin yesterday morning, sinus meds during the day, but last night I took a sleep aid that is nothing more than benadryl by another name LOL. I actually slept all night, and the pressure/pain this morning is either a lot less, or I'm so well rested that it doesn't seem as bad.

I will still check in with my doctor about seeing an ENT because I would rather not have to rely on medications all the time just to feel better and/or sleep!

Kay

Old 03-25-05, 08:09 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Well,

I'm heading to get these pesky Stints out of my nose here shortly. ::Ahhh::

Sure will be nice not to have to use Saline to keep my nose moist anymore.

I bought two different types of Saline. One of them is a plastic bottle that you can either drip in your nose or squeeze the bottle. The other works on compressed air. I like the compressed air better. It puts a finer mist into your nose and doesn't have a real bad salt taste to it that ends up burning your mouth and throat.

Old 03-25-05, 10:28 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
OMG WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! My nose is still raw, but obviously to be expected. My gosh does it feel wierd! It hurt a little when he took the stints out.

I about freaked when I saw how long they were. Those suckers were about 3" long x 1/2" wide! Looking into my nose, I thought they were only about 1/2" long x 1/4" wide.

I just blew my nose and what a wierd feeling! Feels like a big open tunnel. lol

My nose is now squishy by the nostils now. I guess that's what happens when your nose is in the right place!

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 03-25-05 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 09:56 PM
Mike,

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling so much better and that the stints are out!

Let us know how you sleep tonight!

Kay

Old 04-11-05, 06:50 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Didn't sleep that great the first few nights, but was better than what I was discoverig.

As time has gone on and each day passes by, I can tell that it's slowly opening up and I'm breathing easier.

So far. for people who need this similar surgery and have no other alternatives, I would highly suggest you do it and find someone who specializez in that field and board certified.

Old 04-11-05, 07:05 PM
I will take your advice and make sure of their certifications. That's on hold until I can figure out how to afford braces for all 3 kids, at the same time

I'm glad that the surgery is looking like a success! How does it feel to get more rest at night?

Kay

Old 04-11-05, 07:13 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I'm still a bit stuffy, but when I blow my nose, liquid now comes out, vs before when it was dry and wet blood.

He said when my terbinates go down, the stuffiness should go away

Little by little it's getting better.

He also told me to stay away from al spicy foods, chocolate, cafienne and alcohol because of the reflux. He believes that the thightness in my chest is due to all of those items and because I'm a few lbs extra. In addition to that, all of the stress from the self-employment doesnt help at all.

The thought of exersize. Blah.

Old 04-11-05, 08:06 PM
You have gone through alot man, I think its cool how you stuck with it! Keep going your doing great!

Get better soon...

Old 04-12-05, 04:08 AM
Stay away from spicy foods!!! That must be terrible!!

So you don't suggest I use the "Any surgery for $199.95 guy?"

Glad to see you're feeling better.

Old 04-12-05, 07:43 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I probably wouldn't suggest the $199.95 guy, but maybe the $199.96 guy would be better.

I'll tell ya man, if things keep progressing for the better like they are, it was well worth the misery I went through the first week.

I'm just glad it's over and done with!

Old 04-12-05, 07:47 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I will take your advice and make sure of their certifications. That's on hold until I can figure out how to afford braces for all 3 kids, at the same time

I can attest to the braces thing. I just got done doing Invisaline and wowza was it expensive. The problem with invisaline is that it only straightens your teeth, it doesn't tip them in or out. Because of the problem I have with my jaw alignment, I would need to have re-constructive jaw surgery. Basically they cut your jaw apart and screw it back to where it should be. Man, I'm in the wrong business!

I'm glad that the surgery is looking like a success! How does it feel to get more rest at night?

I haven't persay noticed a difference in my sleep, but when I wake up, Im not so stuffy. Also, I mainly notice it day by day and during the day time.

Old 04-12-05, 08:22 PM
I guess with the sleep, it will come easier over time when you are assured that you're not going to suffocate in your sleep or feel like it.

Elizabeth qualifies for invisaline, but if its that expensive then I think I'll put her in full metal like Ian. Meagan has yet to go to the dentist so I'm not sure what her's will require. Ian, poor guy, has an extra tooth in his mouth and teeth are setting in front of each other.

Now that I have all the root canals and major work done, they will go for cleanings and then will be assessed for the orthodonsia (sp?) work. Ian needs it the most, but Elizabeth is 17 and I would like to get it done soon for her. Hers is necessary beause of the assault. The teeth reseated in her jaw, but not aligned perfectly like they should. One of them may have to be shortened and capped.

Kay