Forum question

Old 04-01-05, 11:27 AM
Forum question

Trying to figure how to find a post from a while back. When I search on my user name, I get a maximum of 28 posts and the one I want is not there. I could not figure out how to make the number higher than 28 results. Is there a way to find all the threads where I have had answers?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 11:39 AM
Click your name, click Find All Posts, scroll down to bottom of last post on page. See in bottom right corner "Page 1 of ??" Click next or click the number of the next page. Continue through all pages until you find the post for which you are looking.

Old 04-01-05, 02:08 PM
Didn't work

Thanks Twelvepole for responding. When I clicked on "Find All posts", I get this error message:

"Tyger52, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

This feature is exactly what I was looking for, I hope this error can be resolved. Thanks.

Old 04-01-05, 04:15 PM
Hmm, it sounds like a glitch of some sort. Thus, I recommend that you PM Forums. He handles the technical problems on the website. You should be able to access your own profile and posts.

Old 04-01-05, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
The computer gurus are messing around with the software so maybe the permissions got messed up.

When I do a search on my posts I only can go back 500 which takes it to last November.
Bummer......................they must be trying to save bandwidth.

I can see all your posts.
Do you know the title of the one you are looking for?

Old 04-04-05, 09:20 AM
Not sure

Originally Posted by GregH
The computer gurus are messing around with the software so maybe the permissions got messed up.

When I do a search on my posts I only can go back 500 which takes it to last November.
Bummer......................they must be trying to save bandwidth.

I can see all your posts.
Do you know the title of the one you are looking for?
Hi GregH,
I wish I knew the title. It was in electrical and had to do with putting in a new panel and upgrading service to 200 amps. I'd be able to find it if I could see a few posts in the thread. Any idea if this feature will be fixed? I sent a message to Forums, no reply so far.

Old 04-04-05, 09:49 AM
The "Find all posts" function is only available to moderators right now.

Old 04-04-05, 11:13 AM
Is this the one you're looking for?? http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=206144

or this http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=196483

or this http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=194893

It has to be one of these three.

Last edited by mattison; 04-04-05 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 04-04-05, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
There are two separate search functions that are not available to members.
One is the search "new posts" at the top of each forum page in the blue bar and the other is "Find all posts by xxx" that is visible when you click on a members user name.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Old 04-04-05, 05:38 PM
Found it, thanks!

Originally Posted by mattison
Thanks, it was one of those.

Old 04-07-05, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by GregH
There are two separate search functions that are not available to members.
One is the search "new posts" at the top of each forum page in the blue bar and the other is "Find all posts by xxx" that is visible when you click on a members user name.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Greg,

It would also be nice if they fix the "search the Archives" feature that used to exist. This was really valuable to me, and many others, to be able to go into a particular forum, and search for "icemaker won't work" and see what previous posts had said. 99% of the time, I could find my "fix" by viewing previous posts.

Old 04-07-05, 10:40 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Smile If we don't learn from the past

we have to ask the question again & that makes someone answer the same question twice or more we hope. I don't see how you could not have access to all the past questions & answers in a Do it yourself Forum, that dates back to the mid 90s.

I can only guess at how much knowledge I have seen in Forums like Tech Support Guy.com A Computer/Software Forums with a massive Archives filled with info dateing back to 95.

My active threads do not work, this is now a check all threads you wrote in or lose a good answer you may need. Most Forums send you an e-mail for PMs & posts. Well they say you either use the tools you are given, or find a Forums that you feel works for your best interest. DIY has some interesting subjects.

Old 04-08-05, 02:48 AM
Most Forums send you an e-mail for PMs & posts
You can set it up in your profile to have email notification sent to you if there is a response to one of your posts. This will set your default on future posts, but you also have the option when posting a new thread or responding to someone else's thread whether or not to receive email noticfication.

When posting, look in the area right below the 'submit reply' & 'preview post' buttons. This is where you'll find the email notification options if you haven't chosen the default within your member profile.

Also in your profile you can set whether or not you are notified by email for PM's and some other options you might be interested in.

Kay

Old 04-08-05, 12:20 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Missed it

Thank You Kay, I must have missed that .

I read:
The "search the Archives" feature that used to exist.)
It seems that if there were an extensive archives it would save both Members & MODs a lot of time. Also if this was used at DIY before. Why would it now be unavailable today?

When I said:
"Well they say you either use the tools you are given, or find a Forums that you feel works for your best interest."
Now what I mean is if all you have is hoe not a shovel you can still dig the hole. It just may take longer.

All things given DIY has a lot of good info, there are alot of smart folks out here. I am just a weary traveler moving about in search of knowledge, here today gone tommorow.

Mike

Old 04-08-05, 12:33 PM
I didn't mean to sound so coarse when I posted. Sorry about that! Shouldn't be trying to respond to people when I'm that tired. Just thought you might want one more 'tool' to work with!

I believe, and may be wrong, that the reason some of the search features have been disabled is due to the fact that there were so many ways to search that it was becoming extremely confusing. Too broad of results when someone would search or no hits when there should be at least one or two.

Code has to be rewritten to consolidate some of the search features, but still allow specific searches within it which should make hitting your intended topic at lot easier and more within the range that you are searching. Until the code can be done, the features have to be removed or it could cause mass confusion and frustration. So...hang in there everyone. Seems that this minor inconvenience will reap some really great things to come!

Please don't hold me to this any of this LOL. Have been trying to research what is going on with the changes here and have brain meltdown from so much reading lately. I may be confusing some changes with others taking place.

Kay

Old 04-08-05, 08:41 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Smile No Bad

No problem Kay You did give me another tool, & believe me I know tired, oh yes indeed.

You said:
So...hang in there everyone
Sounds good to me

Mike