If a democrat is the next president....

Old 04-02-05, 07:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If a democrat is the next president....

If a democrat is the next president, would republicans complain about the election being stolen, like the democrats complained about when G Dub won. I kinda think that this partisan bickering is funny, since I always vote Libertarian for president even though I think that the Libertarians have just as much chance of being president as Saddam Hussein does. Just curious about other opinions, but no thesis please.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 07:44 AM
In my 20 years of voting "yes I'm that old" I have never paid any attention to a party label. I've always voted for whoever I felt would serve us best regaurdless of Dem,Rep whatever.

It is intresting to think about though. If we had the chad problem in Fla last year, and the problems in OH this year then just imagine before all the tech we have today how altered the results probably were in the old days.

Old 04-05-05, 01:15 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Question Yes of course

Yes I would, now that I know the Minorty can just squeek loudly & make a mockery of Majority rule. It looks as if that part of Democrocy is dead.

If Hillery & Billery make it back in I'm going to leave, & go where Alec Baldwin went. Where did he go anyway, does anyone know?

Just kidding of course, I Vote! Then make the best of who we get. After all it's like the radio, our form of Government is, in 4 or 8 years we can always change the channel

Partys should be fun & that's why I go to parties, not to join one

Old 04-06-05, 09:24 AM
If Hillary becomes president in 2008, I may be tempted to change my national anthem to "O Canada". Could she become president legally? She already seemed to be when Bubba was in there. I couldn't blame him for cheating on her, but I did for lying about it, kinda like "I never inhaled".

Old 04-30-05, 09:25 AM
president?haha

Derogatory comments not beneficial to the post.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-30-05 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-30-05, 10:12 AM
To try to answer the original posters question, it doesn't matter which party gets elected, there will be complaining. Going back to FDR, a Democrat, the Republicans changed the rules. Now there is complaining. There will always be complaining about the OTHER party. Now we have DeLay. If the rules get changed, later there will be complaining. The whole problem is that we are being governed by polititions. Ever notice that the first motions passed in Congress or the House is THEIR raises? So, in answer to the question, YUP, there will always be complaining.

Old 05-02-05, 01:17 AM
Group Moderator
Well said, dragon. If the dem's ever get control of the Senate back, can't wait to see the fireworks when the Republicans try to block judicial nominees. The Republicans will be "obstructionists" and "putting their own politics ahead of the good of the country" and "bigots" (if the nominee is a minority). A lot of the griping from the left is because they apparently have no new ideas to attract voters (or get them back), so they resort to personal attacks using accusations of wrongdoings that 95% (on both sides of the aisle) of them would be guilty of if investigated.

Professional politicians will eventually be the downfall of our country. Term limits are long LONG overdue. If we limit presidents to 8 years of service, I see no reason for senators and representatives to be allowed to grow roots in Washington for more than a couple of terms. Does anyone really think that having Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, and Jess Helms (r.i.p.) having permanent residence in the senate serves for the betterment of the nation?

Old 05-02-05, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget the lobbyists. (read bribery).

Old 05-02-05, 04:26 PM
We have term limits. Go to the polls, vote someone else into office.

Old 05-03-05, 06:39 AM
It's funny.. I don't recall any charges of the election having been stolen when Clinton was elected, and prior to W's presidency, the most recent case of obstructing judicial nominees was Bush Sr.'s nominations for the supreme court.

So I think that history suggests a little different answer.

Old 05-04-05, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Term limits via the ballot box is a nice theory, but in the real world the chips are stacked heavily in the favor of incumbants, which got even WORSE with the so-called campaign finance reform. Campaign-finance reform in the form of stacking even more chips in the incumbants corner; yeah, that really made things better. A lot of people who would otherwise be out on their butts in a fair fight are simply re-elected because they have name recognition and a bully pulpit (complete with taxpayer-funded campaign mailings disguised as "newsletters"). I was encouraged with Tom Daschle's having been shown the door, tho.......

Old 05-10-05, 12:36 PM
How about execution if these politicians go past certain time limits. It would save the country money on pensions for these pork barrelers.

Old 05-11-05, 05:38 AM
censorship

i guess you can't speak your mind in this forum without being censored, what a shame, or is it that ******* is a huge bush fan? either way.

Last edited by mattison; 05-12-05 at 04:01 AM. Reason: No name calling. Thank you.
Old 05-12-05, 12:01 AM
stevemp, Guess I should have saved your derogatory comments to Post Archives.
We don't censor members. We do not allow "bashing" of any type. Be it a manufacturer or a person.
Now we are at the Bolton selection. It will be decided along party lines. Show me 10 people ANYWHERE that totally agree with ANYTHING and then you might make me believe that following party lines helps our government and the people. We are back to polititions.
This is along the same lines as some of the Bills that try to get passed with something totally out of line included in them. If I want to say that a cow can't walk down the road, and make it a law, why should it include the provision that motorcycles must have seatbelts?
We live in an age of political control. The nation is run by them. We pay for them, we can control them. It's all a matter of voting.

Last edited by majakdragon; 05-12-05 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-12-05, 04:03 AM
This thread can be fun and informative, but will be closed and deleted if it becomes a battle ground.

Keep it clean.

Old 05-17-05, 02:39 PM
Didn't mean to start a firestorm with this post. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 05-17-05, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness".

-John Wayne (Fort Apache, I think, w/Henry Fonda)

Old 05-23-05, 10:28 AM
Go to www.*********.com and see why stolen elections are possible and you may have seen the last untainted (although they are never completely untainted) election was when clinton got in. Nixon had a good case for vote tampering when Kennedy got elected. But really? why has there been no congressional investigation into why the vote tallys in numerous counties in ohio and florida don't add up and a striking number of exit polls were off (but ONLY.. in counties using the diebold black box. Greed is king here. I vote to have a truthfull government whether I agree with the program or not. When the supreme court rules restricting money in elections is the same as restricting free speech I have to wonder if these guys have any intelligence at all. Live by the golden rule.

Last edited by mattison; 05-24-05 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Sorry no links to outside forums please.
Old 06-01-05, 09:59 AM
It would be interesting to see hackers make the Democrat and Republican parties bankrupt and donate all the Republican's money to Planned Parenthood and the Democrat's money donated to the NRA. Just adding a little humor, although could you imagine the reactions of both parties if all their money went to these two causes?

Old 06-01-05, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Stop, Hirsch, you're killin' me!

Biggest circus right now is the senatorial judicial nomination goat-rope. For some reason I don't ever remember the Republicans expending 1% of the time, effort, and money (when they were in the minority) that the Dems are right now in trying to block nominees, probably because they didn't.

Ironic twist: Didn't Robert Byrd (one of the Dem's favorite Senators) who is now in the thick of the non-fillibuster fillibuster also fillibuster the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts back in the 60's? Just goes to show he's non-partisan, I guess; he can oppose both liberal and conservative causes with equal vigor. Or maybe he sees things more clearly now that he doesn't have a sheet over his head.

Old 06-02-05, 04:00 AM
Please explain.

My wife attempted to explain this to me, but it kinda flew in one ear and out the other with her big words.

What in the world is a filibuster???? I picture it as a guy that breaks horses so they can be ridden.

Old 06-02-05, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
You never saw the old classic Jimmy Stewart movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington?

Old 06-03-05, 04:01 AM
Never saw the Stewart movie. To old for me.

Old 06-03-05, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
A fillibuster is nothing more than someone having the floor and then talking continuously or in the case of multiple participants talking until they are tired and then recognizing only one of their fillibustering cronies to take over. The person with the floor is supposed to remain standing while they address the senate. The effect is to block any and all actions, including a vote, on any particular piece of legislation. The practice has been [email protected] in the 21st century in that now, those intending to fillibuster merely inform the rest of the senate of their INTENT to do so, and the rest of the good old boys just say, "well. guess that issue is dead...". It takes, I believe, 60 votes to override the fillibuster which for all intents and purposes is impossible. It was never meant to allow a minority of senators to block the judicial nominations of the sitting president, contrary to what any says.

Rent the movie, if it's available; one of Stewart's best.

Old 06-13-05, 01:13 PM
One reason that Robert Byrd is the Dems favorite senator is that he is the king of pork barrel spending. Check out the book "Adventures in Porkland". It is frankly disgusting what most of our Senators and Congressmen spend taxpayer money on.