contractor gripe!

Old 04-28-05, 08:52 AM
ms_shanti
Visiting Guest
contractor gripe!

ok....my bathroom has been done and paid for for a week, but i have some gripes that i wanted to run past anyone that was interested.

first, the guy underbid the job, he agreed to the contract and signed it. then he proceeded to b*tch and groan for the whole 3 weeks the job took (about 1.5 times what it should have taken) about how he could've gotten much more for this particular job. he weaseled out of doing a couple of things that were noted on the contract, (even came right out and told me he wasn't going to do one of them!), but i didn't push the issue cause i just wanted him OUT after 3 weeks.

then, on the last day, while my teen son was in the kitchen cooking something, he brought one of my neighbors INSIDE MY HOUSE to check out the job he did! i didn't find this out until the next day, after he'd been paid and was done. i went BALLISTIC when my son told me that he turned around and saw this guy following contractor into my new bathroom!!! mind you, i don't speak to this neighbor and would NEVER let him in my house. he's a frickin nosybody and i know he just loved that he was able to see inside my home.

i called the contractors license board and they said it wasn't in their jurisdiction, i'd have to make out a police report if i wanted to complain about this! is this par for the course? imo, this is highly unethical!!

*rant over* thanks for listening!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 12:41 AM
You're best off to write him off and make a note to self not to use him or reccomend him in the future. You could call write him and let him know you didn't feel it was appropriate what he did and that he is never welcome in your house again.

Old 04-29-05, 05:43 AM
playing the devil's advocate here:

i've heard it's difficult to bid jobs. it's hard to predict exactly what will be involved. when problems or situations arise that will require more time & money, what other choice do they have but to either charge you more, or delete some jobs - and of course, it'll take longer than anticipated. is that what happened?

bringing the neighbor into the house was a bad choice on his part, but maybe the neighbor walked up & started chatting with this guy & was interested in having him do some work for him as well, so the guy told him what he'd done for you & wanted to show off his work. harmless enough, and your son WAS home, so it wasn't like he brought him into your home when NO one was home. he couldn't have known you weren't on good terms with this neighbor. right?

how'd you get his name in the first place? was someone actually happy with his work & recommended him to you?

i think the best thing you could do is put in a bad report to the Better Business Bureau and tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW about the cruddy job he did - (if it was indeed cruddy - was it? or was the work fine, but you just didn't like the way the project went?) word of mouth is the best advertisement - good or bad.

Old 04-29-05, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
bringing the neighbor into the house was a bad choice on his part, but maybe the neighbor walked up & started chatting with this guy & was interested in having him do some work for him as well, so the guy told him what he'd done for you & wanted to show off his work. harmless enough, and your son WAS home, so it wasn't like he brought him into your home when NO one was home. he couldn't have known you weren't on good terms with this neighbor. right?
I think she has every right to be furiuos. I would have the same reaction. The contractor is merely doing work in the house - he does not live in it. He has absolutely no right to invite a stranger into a home that is not his.

The fact that he did not know whether or not she was on good terms with the neighbor makes such a galling act even worse, IMO. What if the neighbor took something from the house, or damaged something?

Old 04-29-05, 10:08 AM
I think she has every right to be furiuos. I would have the same reaction. The contractor is merely doing work in the house - he does not live in it. He has absolutely no right to invite a stranger into a home that is not his.
i agree - it was a bad decision on his part, i'm just saying it's not the end of the world. like i said, i'm just playing the devil's advocate. she did leave the Guy in the house alone - with her teenage son! what if the Guy stole or broke something?? i don't think that's really a concern.

my main concern is what kind of WORK did he do? there's been no mention of the quality of his work! did the bathroom turn out okay or not?? that's the important point here. how was his WORK? she hired a contractor to do a job, not become her best friend & lifelong companion! in other words, she doesn't have to like him, just his Work.

Last edited by Annette; 04-29-05 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 02:44 PM
ms_shanti
Visiting Guest
annette,
thanks for responding....fwiw, he did an "OK" job. it wasn't as exacting as i would've liked, but i'm satisfied.

it started out that i was going to just have him remove my tub/acrylic surround/fixtures and replace it with the same. we agreed on $400 to do it - i supplied the materials. we even went to home depot and picked out the items the day before. well, the next day he calls me to tell me that he didn't have a truck to pick it up and would have to rent one from uhaul (what contractor doesn't have a truck??). of course i had to pay for it (well, half). THEN he callls me at work to tell me that while loading the tub unit, the home depot guy noted a crack in it, so off it went. who knows who cracked it and when??

SO...i told him on the phone to just pick up a porcelain steel tub. he found one that was half price cause of a chipped flange that he said wouldn't show when finished. the tub was in the house when i got home. on saturday, he said that he thought it would be easier for him to tile the surround rather than put swanstone up (my first choice)....for the SAME price! of course, i jumped at it, who wouldn't? i asked him if he would tile the floor for more money and he said he'd do the whole thing PLUS install a new toilet and vanity for $700. voila! instant remodel! the extras included a light fixture too, and of course hooking up the plumbing under the new sink.

after we BOTH signed this (remember, he bid this job), i noticed about a week later, as the job was taking awhile, that there was NO END DATE. so i couldn't really hold him to anything. he said he was at my house every day, but my bathroom is very small and three weeks is a LONG time for this imo. he even said it took twice as long as he expected.

also, he made a lot of mess in my house, and it was up to ME to get rid of the mess outside from the tiling and demo. he wanted to leave without installing the vanity, but i insisted that he do it - it was on the contract! one thing i didn't do was ask for references, but we talked while at home depot and he mentioned all of the commercial buildings that he had been involved in re construction, so i felt that he was probably ok. in retrospect, of course, i would ask for references.

finally, as i said, this particular neighbor has always been involved in everyone's remodels in this neighborhood, but he's too nosy for me, and i'm a very private person, so i'm not friendly with him. he's the type of person who is always puttering around his own house and stands on the sidewalk just staring at my house (he's in the house directly across the street). i don't like the man and i don't want him in my house!!!! it's called invasion of privacy to me and trespassing! i wouldn't THINK of entering someone else's home without their specific permission, particularly if had a problem with them. i felt violated. i'm sure that that's the way he got in, but chatting with my contractor. it's his pattern to do this.

anyway...there are more things, but this has gone on too long, so i'll refrain. like another poster said, at this point i guess i'm just going to chalk it up to experience and move on. i doubt he'll mention me as a reference and i won't either.

peace