Tow Guy going on Vacation

Old 06-10-05, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Tow Guy going on Vacation

Hold down the fort while I'm gone. Taking our teenage daughter to Yosemite for a week; Mom gets to stay home with the little guy. Daughter has never flown and never been west of the Mississippi; should be an interesting week.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 07:15 AM
Congrats!

Be sure to get a seat that is not over, nor just behind the wing so she can see the view. I also pick seats on the right or left of the plane which is intended for being on the opposite side of the rising or setting sun for even better viewing.

The last few times I flew, some (many) of the jets have been retro fitted with flat TV screens mounted in the middle (of 3) seats. Newer jets, have them in every seat back. If you get one of those, (since you can never hear the instructions on board), for about ?? $5 or $8 bucks, you can buy a earset and watch the (preselected) movie they show. Might be able to watch it for free if you have your own cheapy earplugs. I don't know cause I couldn't hear the instructions, lol.

Old 06-10-05, 08:10 AM
actually, those seats right over the wings are the best for those who get air sick! less motion from turbulence when sitting there. and you can still see everything fine - you just have to look over or under the wing. but actually, watching the wing itself is pretty interesting - lots of little mini-wings going up & down on them!!

have fun!!!

Old 06-12-05, 06:53 AM
Take lots of pictures!

Old 06-12-05, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Have fun...

Nothing beats a good window seat.

Next time you fly to Europe get seat "A" and don't fall asleep. Take a look out the window half way through the flight. The aurora can sometimes be incredible.

If traveling with a "newbie" a small pair of binoculars are fun. There are lots of interesting things to see when crossing the country.

Old 06-13-05, 01:36 AM
You may want to, check out Sequoia about 100 miles south.
I think the trees may be the largest in the world.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/shrm_pic.htm

http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm
The lower left corner of the link has an web cam link.

Old 06-19-05, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Aaaaaaaaaand, we're back.

Great trip. Already knew all the flying tricks; 27 years in Marine Corps aviation and I saw three lifetimes of the inside of airplanes. Everything from DC-3's to C-5's and 747's. Daughter wasn't terrifically interested in my wealth of knowledge about everything aeronautical, but she LOVED Yosemite. Impressive amount of water going over the falls, even for Yosemite. They said the snowfall this year was 180% of norm. Side trip to Sequoia wouldn't have fit in, but we did take in the big trees at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite.

Just working on the pics today; between us I think we took about 400 photos. THANK GOD FOR DIGITAL CAMERAS!!! Left my old 35mm at home this trip; already have lots of 35mm stuff from last visit, c.1984.

Flew American Airlines all legs, but unfortunately it was on McD-D MD-80's which have essentially nothing for amenities. Daughter didn't know the difference, but we both decided next trip we take along her laptop for entertainment.

Only really bad glitch on the trip was a delay at DFW for an electrical problem that got us into San Jose about 30 minutes after the rental car counter closed. Had to taxicab to our starting point (planned overnight stay at Holiday Inn Express in Fremont) and then back to the airport first thing the next morning to get our car for the drive.

For anyone who has never been, you have to see Yosemite sometime in your life.

Old 06-19-05, 09:01 AM
Good to hear you had a good time.

Unless Yosemite is featured on the National Geographic channel, I doubt I will ever have the pleasure. lol

Old 06-19-05, 08:59 PM
You know this might be a little off topic but this thread was worth responding to.

I have a serious back condition that keeps me from doing nothing but save it for work and that is it. Can't drive long trips, go to concerts, sit in ballpark stands, hell, couldn't even work for McDonald's even if they paid me $200 an hour; cannot consistently stand for all that time on concrete.

Chronic pain is life changing and thank god for the internet. Reason being is that I get to view everyones hardship to go take the pictures that took walking, riding, flying to snap that picture, and I know firsthand that I pratically damage my body if I do things like these. I know this because I work everyday and I damage my back doing so as a slow process. Not trying to be a downer but I am glad others take the time to view, take pictures of these beautiful sites since I cannot myself enjoy them in person. I must change my desktop background once a week of a beautiful landscape or ocean view someone snapped.

I guess I can say that I save money sort of in this situation, but I am greatly thankful for those behind the camera that snap these shots so that I can view them sitting in a chair without much effort.

Nothing beats the real thing but a picture comes in at a close second.

When they get spaceships I will consider day trips though, rough roads will then be eliminated, just going to have to watch out for fly-bys.

I guess I am just like the Oswalds.

"Wow, that is so cool. Okay kids, get back in the car."

Old 06-20-05, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Are you familiar with this website:

http://www.webshots.com/homepage.html

They have a free desktop wallpaper and screensaver programs, plus free downloads of some really great pictures. Additionally you can create your own photo set, which is what I did with a lot of our trip pics, so now I get a new desktop photo every hour from the trip. Look really good as desktop wallpaper.

Search this Thread