Why can't i use the search feature???

Old 06-12-05, 08:12 PM
Why can't i use the search feature???

Everytime i try to use the search feature since i registered on the forum i can't use it...i keep getting this:

LOS7883, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

It's already been a week or so and i still can't use it. I tried IM'ing a couple of MODS but i haven't gotten a response back. Sorry if this is the wrong forum but didn't know where to post...

>>>Web Site Host & Forums Monitors Note:<<<
This post has been moved into this topic. Moved from a non interactive topic.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-14-05 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 10:43 PM
I probably shouldn't even be typing this, but this post just made me think of it and I'll probably never get this chance to say it again.............so, here goes..............

The search function on this website is the absolute WORST search program on ANY message board/forum that I visit. I don't even bother using it anymore.

.......whew....there. Got that off my chest. I'm better now.
Back to your lives.

Old 06-20-05, 08:22 PM
I agree. No offense to the board, I love the info and people here, but the search feature is lagging.

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-21-05 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Posting entire quote is distracting and redundant
Old 06-20-05, 09:09 PM
well see the thing is i can't even use the search feature...if i could at least use it then i could comment on it, but it won't even allow me to get to the search part of the forum...anybody>?>>>

Old 06-21-05, 05:03 AM
This isn't exactly a new gripe .

I've brought the subject up multiple times in the "Chats and Whines" section of the "Lifestyle" forum. Don't worry - you are not alone. The search function only works for the mods right now. It is turned off for regular members.

I forget the reason. Possibly they believe it uses up too much bandwidth?

Old 06-21-05, 05:56 AM
I can still use the search function and I'm not a mod.
Not that it actually pulls up what I am looking for , but at least it pulls up a bunch of info.

Old 06-21-05, 05:58 AM
man this site would be a lot easier to use if we had a search function that actually worked for everyone...that's kinda odd that everything else works but this doesn't...especially since it's been an issue with quite a few people and still hasn't gotten fixed...

Old 06-21-05, 10:57 AM
I'm not talking about the search function at the very top of the page ("Keyword Search"), I'm talking about the built in vBulletin forum search function. If you left click on a user's name and click "Find all posts by XXXX", you'll get a message that says you don't have permission to use this feature. That function is a subset of the vB search function. It's far more specific, and brings up much more useful info.

Those who have frequented other vB boards will know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-21-05 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Posting entire quote is distracting and redundant
Old 06-21-05, 06:51 PM
I don't know the answers to your questions. I do know that if I click your name and click all posts by your that I can read every post you ever wrote. This is how I eliminate advertisers' posts.

I never have problems with the Search Engine on this website. I can go back and find my old posts to responses (knowing key words for search is important) and then copy and paste for the new questions.

One thing we have learned over the years is that folks tend not to use the seach engine. This means that we mods and the frequent DIY helpers tend to have to repeatedly post the same info. Tom keeps his files in Note Book. I am a very fast typer, so I simply quickly retype the same answers.

We have had glitches in the DIY system from time to time as we make improvements. Please try again. If you have problems, then you need to contact Admin.

Old 06-21-05, 08:11 PM
The problem i'm having is going to the search engine that will search previous threads that were opened up for various issues, not my old threads. If i could use the search function it would probably cut down a lot on any reposting that i may be doing in the near future...if bandwidth is an issue i would think the time saved on enabling the search function would be better than having to repost the same topic that was asked months before.

I have never been able to search and i have already IM'd a mod but gotten no response, anybody know who i can talk to, to get my search function enabled?

Old 06-21-05, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by air biscuit
I'm not talking about the search function at the very top of the page ("Keyword Search"), I'm talking about the built in vBulletin forum search function. If you left click on a user's name and click "Find all posts by XXXX", you'll get a message that says you don't have permission to use this feature. That function is a subset of the vB search function. It's far more specific, and brings up much more useful info.

Those who have frequented other vB boards will know what I'm talking about.
I know what you're talking about. I assume it's been disabled. Most of the other VBulletin boards that I frequent have disabled some functions like that one. In at least 2 of them, it was because some members were being spammed, harrassed, or otherwise bothered by others on the board.
Yes, I understand that it can be done anyway, but some of those functions seemed to have made it much easier for them to bother others.

I'd like to see it enabled also.
We're all good people here, right?

Old 06-22-05, 06:45 AM
bobrod
Visiting Guest
This has been discussed before on the forums, but I'll address it again.

The forum search engine has been disabled to members. Only moderators and administrators are able to use it. The reason is to preserve bandwidth.

If you look at the very top of the page, you will see the global search engine that DoItYourself.com provides. You are able to search in not only the forums, but the entire DIY site and store. You will notice that the first section of the site you can search in is the Community Forums. Type in your topic, and click the search button, and you should be able to find past posts.

Old 06-30-05, 07:58 PM
Founder
Why do we block this type of search? Info Requested!

The reason we had to turn off the search of the database is because of the number of simultaneous visitors using it. These forums are running on two dual processing machines, BUT since we have expanded to over 100 Forums and about 3/4 of a million posts, allowing a few hundred people at once to search created lag time. We have had over 2,000 visitors on the site at the same time...

The Keyword search on top can actually search over 6,000 professionally edited articles covering a great many topics in step by step detail. Simply use the option to search the entire website.

Should we request articles from visitors to further expand the content? Should prizes be awarded based on visitors judging the entries?

I will look into further beefing up the forums, BUT EVEN IF WE CAN, ONLY REGISTERED USERS WITH VERIFYABLE EMAIL and IP ADDRESSES can be given search access. Open access to search by member has in the past lead to some abuses...

Old 08-03-05, 11:36 AM
Please whatever you can do to enable the search would be great. The search is invaluable and has saved me $$ in the past. It also saves extra posts because most of the time I can find a previous post that answers my questions. Now I have to submit a new post for topics that probably have been answered countless times over.

Old 12-31-05, 08:57 PM
Kaye
Visiting Guest
Wink Looking for forum

Thanks for the info... I thought it was me since I'm a newbie here.

I'm been trying to get to a forum posted in the year 2000 re: bathroom remodel and pink tile.