Hall of Shame.

Old 07-19-05, 04:02 PM
Hall of Shame.

I have a friend (ouch that hurts). His tools are a rust bucket.

All his new wood speed bores are so rusty, that I could not even drill thru a 3/4" pine board without strong arming it and spintering thru! Every carbide saw blade is rusty to the point of barely cutting, circular, miter, all !. Every chisel is worthless. All tools that start out as shiney, are nothing but orange with rust. Metal sharpening files,,,useless with rust. Drill bits,, ha! His power miter saw blade guard doesn't work,, have to hold it with your thumb.

And cheap skill saws! Don't even go there! The motor housing is hinged so low that you can barely cut 3/4" boards with a 3/4" lumber as a guide!!! I know I am being tested Lord. I will survive!

His cheap hand drill had the trigger broke off. I duct taped a tiny block of wood in its place so I could use it!!!!!!

And just try, I said, JUST TRY and open ANY of his diagonals or pliers!! Rusted tight!!!

Every, (not most) but every tool tool is shameful. Slide squares don't slide, knives don't cut, rollers don't roll, pliers don't open.

The only thing that works are the pencils, but you need a sharp razor utility knife to sharpen them!! Ahhhhhh!

He has won the

Hall Of Shame Award!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty sad, Lugnut. He must haul his tools around in the back of a pickup truck in the rain, huh?

Old 07-19-05, 08:10 PM
My downstairs neighbor left his chop saw and drill press out all winter
Outside
Just outside the door of (his half of) the shed
In the snow

Too bad his wife cleaned up last week, it'd make a good contest
I'll bet I can still find enough stuff to take pictures of to make you wince

Let's have a photo contest

Old 07-20-05, 11:37 AM
Red face anyone else thinking the same thing as me here?

hmmm........with a name like "Lugnut", i'd think you'd have at least a FEW of your OWN tools!!! you mean to say you don't own a basic hand drill? or power mitre saw? or even a simple CHISEL of your own??? you're borrowing his PLIERS?!?! you know what they say - beggers can't be choosers! if the quality of your FRIEND'S tools aren't up to your high standards, how about you start your own collection? good grief! at least HE bought all of his own tools - he just doesn't know how to take care of them!

did it ever occur to you that maybe he lets his tools get rusty in hopes that you'll stop mooching off of him?! SHAME on YOU, Lugnut!

........just kidding! hee hee

Old 07-20-05, 12:57 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
I think Annette should stick with decorating.

Old 07-20-05, 05:42 PM
tae
Actually, i'm with Annette.His tools are his business. If you are going to help him, you know to bring your own. And, at the least, maybe spend a saturday helping him clean up his tools,(he is a friend, right?) and lubricating them. i never go anywhere without the wd-40!

Old 07-20-05, 08:07 PM
I've respected tools my entire life, Yes it is this guys business how he treats his tools but when you make a living with them it kinda turns your stomach to see them in this kind of shape.

Old 07-21-05, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree they are his tools and his business but.... I hate to see good tools ruined. I've spent 35 years aquiring the tools I have and would hate to replace them for any reason other than wore out. I have a stepson who as about a 1/3 of the tools I have but seldom takes care of them. I guess easy come easy go. I probably have a small tool box full of tools he was going to throw away because they were left out in the rain too long.
The only bright side I see is with all those that let there tools ruin - well maybe they help to keep the economy going.

Old 07-21-05, 06:07 AM
Now that's a positive attitude Mark.

Old 07-21-05, 03:25 PM
I've been out of town. Back now. Annette, I like your sense of humor, and fear not, I never take things the wrong way. I'm always eager for an opening to brag about my tools. Sigh! But alas, it's beneath me. Suffic to say, I am afflicted with tool-itis. However in the interest of tool talk, maybe we could share tid bits about our private collections. But I wouldn't dare go first. But if I were to go first ( ) I would merely mention the unusual number of catagories of tools, i.e. auto, welding, hvac, elect, sharpening, wood, paint and so on.

When I was learning to master the art of sharpening tools, I bought a stereomicroscope so I could see the magnified razors edge. (A tool-itis attack) My pet peeve is a dull or damaged cutting edge. And most every tool has one somewhere. So when I see rust on everthing, I know every cutting edge on every tool is ruined. Kinda gets me,,, right here..

Old 07-21-05, 10:12 PM
Lugnut,

I have a toolbox to go in the hall of shame right now. Over the years I have collected tools on an as-needed basis. Cannot tell how much I've spent on them. I left them out in my shop because I didn't need them anymore or rarely used them. My well-used tools stay in a box in the house since I mainly do home improvement now instead of automechanic work.

My dear son would come and borrow tools from me. I didn't mind, at least they were being used. We went out to clean up the shop last summer and discovered that the roof leaked more than we thought. We knew the spot, so nothing was to be put in that corner. However, ds decided to put my toolbox in that corner. I never noticed. Went in there this summer to find all my tools looking just like what you described in your first post. I only discovered it because we were cleaning out the shop to tear it down and rebuild it correctly.

The toolbox is a rubber deal, 2 levels with wheels. The top seals on it. I kept it in the back of the blazer and that was easier for me to load/unload when needed. (I was taught in school -common sense filled in the blanks- how to clean and care for my tools after using them, and to oil them on a regular basis.) Needless to say, the lid was not on there, and the tools are ruined.

I probably would have felt better about putting them in the shop on the wall for easy access (theft from kids/neighbors) than to see them in a pile, rusted together like that!

When we rebuild the shop, I've decided that it won't be nearly as large. It seems that it turned into such a storage spot that I couldn't even notice what was happening to my tools without digging back that far in there. Oh, and there will be a lock on it this time!

Kay

Old 07-22-05, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
kaybryd
Try soaking the tools in a bucket of oil and kerosene [or paint thinner] You may be able to salvage them. They will never look as they once did but may become usable again.

Old 07-22-05, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnut
When I was learning to master the art of sharpening tools, I bought a stereomicroscope so I could see the magnified razors edge.
AHAHA! Now THAT is a perfectionist .

I know a guy who's very particular about how all his tools and storage area are organized, and what condition they're in. Everything clean, organized, and exactly where it should be. After getting his garage floor epoxied, he refuses to roll anything across the floor, for fear of damaging the floor. I thought the point was to protect the floor from this, but he apparently just wants a pretty garage floor .

Old 07-28-05, 08:22 AM
Cavediver
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marksr
kaybryd
Try soaking the tools in a bucket of oil and kerosene [or paint thinner] You may be able to salvage them. They will never look as they once did but may become usable again.
I recently cleaned up a couple of tools that had misplaced a while ago. They weren't absolutely trashed, but they were pretty rusty. Anyhow, I bought a gallon of white vinegar at the store. using a 50/50 mix with water, the acid in the vinegar ate a lot of the corrosion away. Of course the good metal gets slightly pitted, but at least the tools are back to functional condition. A good brass brush will remove the worst of the corrosion. Follow it up with a neutralizing bath (baking soda & water) and then some WD-40.

Old 07-28-05, 08:47 AM
Right now the tools are in a bucket of oil. Some I went ahead and chunked since they were rusted a rusted blob. I will try soaking them in vinegar to see if that helps.

I've got to do something with them soon since we're tearing down the shop and have been moving everything into storage and I don't want to move a bucket of tools/oils into a storage unit!

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can salvage some of these things afterall. Thank goodness I didn't just give up and toss them.

Kay

Old 08-06-05, 11:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Lugnut, this will bring a tear to your eyes...

I made a living doing plumbing for parts of the last 2 decades... My grandfather and father were both master plumbers... I am very particular about tools, not only maintenance but quality as well, of course... I had a saddle box on the back of my truck with all my large tools and also precision tools, like my laser levels, multimeters, etc, etc... In the back of the truck, I had 3 additional tool boxes for different plumbing purposes... One solder box for all the MAPP gas, hoses, strikers, flint, brushes, flux, etc, etc.... Another box for all my faucet tools, and a third for all my standard tools, i.e, channelocks, screwdrivers, and all manner of cutters and such that pertain to plumbing along with my standard sized, sharp-toothed, well-oiled pipe wrenchs.... *sniff*.... Anyway, you get the idea... So on the way home from a late night job at a nursing home at 3 a.m., a young girl in a Diamante hits me from behind on the interstate doing 80+ mph... The impact knocked me sideways into the concrete median wall... My helper and I had injuries but nothing life-threatening... My tools however took a fatal blow... ALL THREE BOXES in the back no longer had tops... They all broke off the hinges or cracked down the middle... Virtually every tool was GONE... My saddle box broke off the bed and slid 200 yards down the road slingin' tools out like a tornado in the tool corral at Lowe's... The power tools that had been in the saddle boxes were cracked, scraped, or just plain missing... Because of the spin of the truck, the entire bed was empty... All the ladders were on the road, and of course had been run over... All my drill bits were gone... Never saw my Dewalt recip saw again... Milwaukee hammer drill was ground down flat on one side from the slide and never worked again... 4' level had all the bubbles broken, my hand tools took out another half dozen vehicle tires of the people behind me that dodged me but couldn't avoid the hailstorm of flying debris... Of course, the truck was totaled... I looked up and saw my Mapp gas (propane mix) rolling down the road still... Firemen and policemen came up and handed me pieces of my tools... I did manage to get back a wood chisel that my grandfather gave me over 25 years ago (best chisel I ever had, btw)... The police wouldn't let me stay on the scene for my safety and the fact that I had I-75 South through the heart of Atlanta backed up for 10 miles or I would have scoured the woods and median for every tool I could recover... Instead, I went to the hospital and the next day went back to the scene to see only pieces of tools anywhere to be found... It took me months to get her insurance to cover my tools, because they wanted pictures of them all... When I finally got a new truck and new tools (much lesser quality than the old school stuff), I opened up my binder that that had been behind the seat of my old truck, to write up a bill for a customer and noticed that the rings in three-ring binder were flattened from the accident, and the face of my calculator for figuring bills was cracked and no longer worked... All-in-all, I lost about $4k in tools that I considered irreplaceable... I was appalled at how little I was able to recover... I take some solace in the fact that I must have been a sight to behold spinning down the expressway at 50 mph slinging tools and supplies in every direction right up until I hit the wall... And of course that my helper lived and wasn't injured badly... and I got to go home and see my wife and babies... And I did get some joy out of starting my tool collection all over again... ...

Old 08-08-05, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ragnar
I know what you mean about the quality of new tools versus old. Over the years I have replaced several crasftsman tools only to get in return an inferior tool - ofcourse it does work and still garrunteed. Good to hear, after all said and done - you're doing ok.

Old 08-09-05, 09:36 AM
My nephew brought his truck over so I could help him replace his clutch.
After we finished I was wiping down my tools and puting them away whe he told me how much he admired my S-O War Wagon and how could he get one.

I told him, "Chris here's what you do. You watch the newspapers and when Sears has a sale on their Craftsman tools, you go up and buy the 131 piece set to start out with. Then, as you're driving home on I-94, you roll down the window and start chucking the tools out the window. Now don't throw them out all at once. Make sure you toss them out one at a time, do this all the way home."

My nephew gave me this look like he never noticed the Third eye I have in the middle of my forehead.

Then he followed that up with this beautiful piece of visionary insight, "Why in the He!! would I want to do that?"

"Well it's like this... (paused as if to allow both my brain cells to collide) You'll never appreciate them until you lose them."

To this day he still recalls the one time Unka Tom made any sense (with-out drooling on myself).

Old 08-10-05, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by pucker factor
Then, as you're driving home on I-94, you roll down the window and start chucking the tools out the window. Now don't throw them out all at once. Make sure you toss them out one at a time, do this all the way home.
Funny you should say that. About 20 years ago I was on a road crew on I-94 and found almost the entire set. Thanks. Do you still have the case?

Great story P.F.

Search this Thread