Pawn shops & stolen property?

Old 07-29-05, 02:56 AM
Pawn shops & stolen property?

I'm going to throw this out here for sugestions or ideas or if you were or still are a owner or employee of a pawn shop please give my your expertise

Last week my house was broken into and they helped themselves to a Hobart 4500 generator/stick welder - 4 custome made E-GLASS fishing rods - 1 cstome made 9' Lamiglas fishing rod. This rod alone was $380.00 - Craftsman 10" portable table saw - A one of a kind custome made sword given to me by my now deciesed younger brother. All rods had Abue -Garcia baitcaster reels on them.

The police came out (i live way back in the woods) dusted for prints with no luck and I filed the report and that is the last I have heard. Now, I have decided to do the leg work myself and I figure start with the pawn shops. How do you call or how do you initially aske on the phone whether these stolen items have been brought to their shop. I dont want to lose what little ground I have right off the bat. Lets hear your ideas or similar stories.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-05, 03:47 AM
Where I live there's probably a hundred pawn shops spread out over the city. But when my mothers house was broken into we were told by the police that if we did find any of it at a pawn shop we would have to pay them what they paid for it. So that means if the seller used a false ID then you are going to have to pay for your own property again.

We'll see if any owners or experieced pawn shop people chime in but I would just casually visit the shops every so often.

Old 07-29-05, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
If the Police told you that you would have to pay for a stolen item I think they were trying to get out of a bit of work on their part.
If you have given the Police an accurate description of an item that is proveable in court and it turns up in a pawn shop, the owner could be guilty of receiving stolen goods.
A pawn shop has no right to buy anything that does not belong to the seller.

Last edited by GregH; 07-31-05 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:40 AM
The rods have my name on them done in a signature just above the reel seat on the blank as well as the name of the persons buisness "KountryKatfishing". The sword has it's original etchings but the company's logo that my younger brother worked for is also etched in the blade making it a one of a kind. I'm sure I could come up with something for the other items. So is safe to say that so far no one would call or go the pawn shops and explain that your house had been robed and your trying to recover your property?

Old 07-29-05, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
No, telling them you are on a hunt for stolen property would not be the thing to do.

I regularly visit pawn shops looking for tool bargains and have got to know a few shop owners.
I know that there is a perception that pawn shops are set up to serve the crime trade but I do not believe that is so. Pawn shops that I am familiar with do not want anything to do with stolen items.
They make their money on the rediculously high interest rates they charge to loan money. They cater to people who use their services as a means of financing.
The few I know have about three quarters of items pawned redeemed.

However, pawn shop owners are human and I'm sure that there are a number of shop owners who are not upstanding citizens.
Because of this you would do well to keep your intent to yourself when looking for your items. If you see something that is yours I would suggest you keep quiet about it and contact the police officer who is handling your case file and tell him where it is. The pawn shop owner is under no obligation to return your item if you claim it is yours.

If your items have been purchased outright then they could potentially be on the shelf for resale immediately, but if they were pawned, keep in mind that there is a waiting period where the person pawning can buy it back.

Keep an open mind when visiting the pawn shops because maybe you will find a bargain.

Old 07-29-05, 06:23 AM
Greg, I agree with all you said. I to frequent the shops looking for a good deal on tools and things. I also beleive as you do that a lot people look at a pawn shop as a place to get rid of stolen merchandise. Pawn shops have taken a bad rap on this and I beleive for the most part most would call the police as soon as the discovered something they purchased was stolen. I wil take your advice and spend some time just shopping the stores. I guess I have about 3 more weeks before their pawn tkt will be due and the stuff is just going to sit in the back for now anyway. Thanks guys.

Jim

Old 07-29-05, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
For further comment on stolen merchandise, there are occasions when a pawn shop owner knows he has stolen merchandise.

Keep in mind I live in a small town and everyone knows everybody.
I have several times been in a shop and someone will come in claiming that an item they have on the shelf was theirs, that their son, cousin, spouse, or whoever, took the item from their home and pawned it.
The pawn owner wants nothing to do with the item and offers to give it back and take the loss but it has to be done through the Police.
Or, he would sell it to them for the amount of the original pawn.

You would be surprised how many just walk away and leave the item.

Old 07-29-05, 03:37 PM
tae
Pawnshops are a business just like any other. But unlike many other businesses, pawnshops have a special set of laws that keep them on the straight and narrow. Pawnshops are specially licensed and cooperate with police to prevent the movement of stolen merchandise. When you pawn an item,usually they take your name and address, verify it with your valid driver's license and then inspect the item carefully. If there is a serial number on the item, it's also recorded on the pawn ticket. There are three reasons for this level of scrutiny: Every day, or once a week, they must submit a list of all merchandise received, including serial numbers, to the police. The police compare the serial numbers against records of stolen merchandise. Anything stolen is recovered this way and returned to the owner. If a stolen item is found in a shop and the item was not reported to the police by the pawnshop when it came in, they can be charged with receiving stolen merchandise. Quite simply, it’s in everyone’s best interest to keep stolen goods OUT of pawn shops!

sounds like the stuff you had stolen would easily be kept for personel use or sold to a friend. one of the simplest ways to get it back is to post a want ad for an item like you had stolen. dont describe it perfectly, just say you want a good used welder preferably the brand you had, that you want to buy some good used fishing rods, or looking to buy a sword cause you are a collector.
crooks are usually greedy and stupid.

Old 07-29-05, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by GregH
If the Police told you that you would have to pay for a stolen item I think they were trying to get out of a bit of work on their part.
If you have given the Police an accurate description of an item that is proveable in court and it turns up in a pawn shop, the owner could be guilty of receiving stolen goods.
I asked the same questions. I looked up the law and that's how it is here in Cincy. If they make the effort to get the sellers info with a acceptable i.d. then they are entitled to the money they shelled out.

Old 07-29-05, 07:47 PM
Tae
I like the running the ad idea. That will be covering a large groupe of folks that I otherwise never would have had contact with. Thanks again folks.

Jim

Old 07-31-05, 05:33 PM
Its a good chance the items will show up on e-Bay.
From someone in your city.

Old 08-01-05, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know about this thing with the pawn shops that they have to send a report to the police of what has been pawned or sold to them in their store? I was told it's every 30 days they report anything they have loaned on or bought. Is this a law or just a participate if you want to thing? Is it law for all states (I live in Texas) If anyone knows the real deal please share.

Jim

Old 08-01-05, 01:58 PM
i dont know the law, but a friends shop was robbed in granbury and the police found the stuff in a pawn shop in cleburn. the shop owner returned everything no questions asked. maybe it showed up on this report they must do.

Old 08-01-05, 02:22 PM
tae
Yes. Pawn Shops are licensed under State laws and must also comply with Federal laws regulating certain sales.

FUN Historical Facts:
The Nursery Rhyme "Pop Goes The Weasel" refers to pawning. A weasel
is a shoemaker's tool and to "pop" is to pawn. "That,s the way the money goes... Pop goes the weasel."

Queen Isabella of Spain pawned the crown jewels to finance Columbus'
voyage to America.

The word pawn originates from the Latin word "patinum" which means
cloth or clothing. The French word "pan" refers to a skirt or blouse. In the early centuries, the principle assets people had were their clothes and borrowed money by pawning their clothing.

The universal symbol of pawnbroking is three gold balls and is one of the
most easily recognized in the world. The Medici family in Italy along with the Lombards in England were money lenders in Europe. Legend has it that one of the Medicis in the employ of Emperor Charles The Great fought a giant and slew him with three sacks of rocks. The three balls or globes later became part of their family crest, and ultimately, the sign of pawnbroking.

Last edited by tae; 08-01-05 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 08:15 PM
Although they deny it, eBay is the forum of choice for stolen goods. Last year, they busted a cop here in San Diego. Since he knew who all the crooks were, he took advantage and opened a shop in his garage. Took in anything and everything the hoods would bring him. He then sold the stuff on eBay. Supposedly was making $20K a month. Got busted when some fairly specialized computer stuff was taken, the other cops ( the ones who weren't so stupid!) went looking for it on ebay. Sure enough they found it and that led to the demise of his empire.

Old 08-29-05, 09:35 AM
i suggest visiting pawn shops in person to see if they have any of your items and if you find something then call the police.

while it may stink to have to pay for you items (if found), hopefully you had insurance money to use.

Old 08-30-05, 07:49 PM
I bet that the hurricane down in those 3 states affected will turn out a ton of stolen product. I feel sorry for individuals and businessmen/women of the like.

I heard they are floating plastic garbage cans full of stolen merchandise from storefronts. The cops cannot arrest them because there is no way to contain them, jail is flooded, no court is in session.

I can see stealing food to survive, but not go karts and garbage cans full of jewelry and Ipods.

Old 09-03-05, 07:15 AM
Well its been well over a month and I havent recovered one thing. The detective assighned to my case has called me one time and that was the initial phone call that I guess he had to make. There was a add came out in a small paper for ads that covers the county I live in and the add was for a generator/stick welder just like mine. I called the detective and told him about it and he tells me I have to go see the generator positivly determine it's mine and he can then go get it and put a hold on it. Then me and the person that had it would go in front of a judge and I would have to prove it was mine. I'm still trying to figure out what this detective is getting paid to do. Went and looked at it and it wasnt mine anyway.

Old 09-03-05, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Jim,

I think you can safely say your stuff is gone.
I also think your expectations of the police are a bit high.
I know your valuables are important to you but put into the scheme of things, I don't know if at this stage having the police do this kind of leg work would be a wise use of what limited police resources we have.

Old 09-03-05, 09:45 AM
That's true what GregH stated and more than likely it was already sold and collecting dust in someone's garage. Check ebay but it is probably in use.

Old 09-03-05, 02:37 PM
Guys I will have to agree with you. Everything that was stolen can be replaced and will be in time. What makes me fighting mad about the whole thing is anyone that looked at the things taken and where they were taken from would know that these are things this guy uses either to make a living with or for daily use here on his house and farm and then for that person to just take it. Makes me fighting mad.

Old 09-06-05, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by jim123
...he tells me I have to go see the generator positivly determine it's mine and he can then go get it and put a hold on it. Then me and the person that had it would go in front of a judge and I would have to prove it was mine.
What a dumb thing for the cop to suggest. "Please go to the criminals house and see if you can find your stuff". Let's just hope that he doesn't figure out that it's actually your stuff.

Old 09-10-05, 11:33 PM
I swear on my little brothers grave that's what he told me I had to do. Get this man, the Hobart that was advertised in the paper was exactly what I had that they stole also, so when I called the guy to set up a time to look at it. I had to use a fake name because every one of my fishing rods that they stole had my name on them. LOL LOL

Old 09-27-05, 08:15 AM
Don't know what the procedure is in the 'Big City', but I worked dispatch for a small town police department for a number of years.

We received a daily report from pawnshops in the area listing items they had purchased. This included drivers license ID, SS #, address, as well as identifying numbers/marks on the item.

It was the dispatchers job to run these items against an NCIC database listing stolen goods.

"Hits" were then turned over to the officers for further investigation.

Serial numbers, identifying marks such as you mentioned would confirm the property as yours. The officer/detective (with this information) would pick up the items and the owner would pick these items up at the police station.