Nightmare to dream

Old 08-12-05, 07:42 AM
Nightmare to dream

I didn't want to tag onto Dragon77's post but his reminded me of a remodel experience I had in Ohio.
Hired a company to add a second floor addition to my house. I got MORE than 3 stooges. They tore off the roof and started framing the addition. Around quitting time, I mentioned that it looked like rain and asked if they were going to hang tarps. Lead guy says " Nope, ain't gonna rain". 8 P.M. I am on the phone with the President of the company during a torrential downpour. 9 P.M. the President and Vice-President are at the house in suits, hanging tarps. I showed them all the ceiling tile damage that had occured so far. They said it would be taken care of.
Next day they are still demolishing old stuff. Cut-off section of old attic falls and bounces off my aluminum siding (huge gash) and also takes out a section of basketweave fence that is no longer available. Call President, he says " We will take care of it".
One of 3 helpers trips over the cast iron pipe stub for vent so he hammers it down into the floor. Broke off connection to kitchen sink and vent connections. Call President. Says "We will take care of it".
Job is finally completed. Knock on the door. Guy says he is here to fix damages caused. Shows me 5 interlocking ceiling tiles (type I had) and asks which style I want. I asked (kiddingly) which was the most expensive. he showed me and said if I wanted that one, okay. He replaced tiles in a 10 x 20 living room, 10 x 12 bedroom and 8 x 11 kitchen. Took almost a week to complete but was done nicely. Next day Plumber shows up and repairs all broken lines plus repairs drywall that had to be removed to get to pipes. (not sure if he is the same one that connected the "hammered" end and ran the vent out the roof). Says he will be back to finish drywall and painter will be there later in the week. Two other guys come and replace section of fence (had to go with another style) and replace siding sections.
I can't see how they stayed in business but I was happy in the end. I even had them do another addition a couple years later that went much smoother.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
WHY IS GOOD HELP SO HARD TO FIND? I'm retired now but when I was still in business I always made more money when I did all the work myself. When you hire a good tradesman they don't show up half the time [especially when you really need them] and when you get someone that shows up on time every day, they are either less than competent or lazy. Glad to hear that in the end you were a satisfied customer.

Old 08-12-05, 01:18 PM
Well, I can only hope that mine ends just as good.

I just really find it hard to take a company at it's word anymore - I don't want to have problems "taken care of" - I want to make sure that they don't occur in the first place. I just don't see anything wrong in that.

--- Dragon77

Old 08-13-05, 07:12 AM
I agree that it should be done right the first time. Thats why you are paying to have it done by a "professional".

Old 08-15-05, 09:21 AM
Professionals

My sentiments exactly, but it seems that many (at least in this area) don't share that ideology.

We'll see how things go today. The installed was *supposed* to have come out on Friday to double-check all the measurements and fittings, but never showed. I've expressed my concern, because the coil is not the same one that he originally based his measurements on, and neither of us took into account the fact that the air cleaner moves the stack position a couple inches to the right, so it's not lined right up with the opening in the ceiling, as we thought it was. In addition, the height of the equipment stack (not including the felt padding that I added to the bottom of the air cleaner, ~1/16th-1/8th) is 77-1/2" (7.5" air cleaner, 40" furnace, 30" coil) - and the opening of the nich is only 77-3/16". I'm certain that I'm going to have to cut out more of the ceiling, in the shape of the coil, but not being able to precicely position it, I'm not cutting the ceiling until its position is confirmed (because I want finished edges around it, not raw drywall - yeah, I'm a perfectionist). So I *know* that the installer is going to have to come out again - and this is what I wanted to avoid in the first place, but they wanted to do it the hard way. To complicate matters, the plenum is going to have to be skewed off an inch or two to the left of the coil - I tried to illustrate, but the formatting won't allow.

I just know that it's going to be a problem

--- Dragon77

Search this Thread