gas prices & crazy people

Old 08-31-05, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
gas prices & crazy people

Late yesterday evening I went and got gas for my tractor - $2.61 a gal. [should of filled my truck up] This afternoon it was $3.29 gal. Cars were lined up down the road for a chance to get the 10 gal maximum the stores are allowing. On the way to church this evening I narrowly missed getting in an accident in front of a gas station. 2 lane hwy 55mph - 2 cars from the opposite direction slide in front of me to get the last 2 spots on the shoulder to be in line to get gas. I slam on the brakes to keep from hitting them and almost get rear ended.

I know katrina has affected gas supplies and things will likely get worse but can the price of fuel really jump up 70 cents over night? I know we are a mobile society but why should people lose all common sense at the thought of running out of gas. Of all the stations I passed today a large percentage of the cars where pumping gas into their trunks. Unless the filler tube has been moved [and nobody told me] they had to be filling up cans. Although me and my wife each HAVE TO HAVE a gal or so a day [her to work and me to pick up grandson at school] will life really end if we don't get the last drop of gas?

This post might not serve any purpose other than me venting frustrations about the idiots I've run across today but it is my 2 cents even if it does cost a dime.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-05, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
This post might not serve any purpose other than me venting frustrations about the idiots I've run across today but it is my 2 cents even if it does cost a dime.
That's why this room is called "Chats and Whines"

I think this whole gas thing is a rediculas outrage and is uncalled for. They are raising prices just because they can and it makes me sick.

I'm waiting for someone to blame it on the auto makers because they want to sell their hybrid cars.

Old 08-31-05, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, I try to run on a even keel, but these gas prices have me pretty ticked off and since this is chats & whines,...

It takes about 90 days for a change in oil supply to become a change in gas supply. So the price of gas skyrockets the next day? Our economy is based on confidence. If enough people believe we are going to have a recession, it will happen. If enough people believe we are going to have gas shortage and therefore higher prices, the oil companies stick it to us. BOHICA.

Old 09-01-05, 04:31 AM
Crude oil prices fell

Energy Markets Jittery, Gas Being Rationed
Aug 31 11:39 AM US/Eastern

By BRAD FOSS
AP Business Writer

Crude oil prices fell in jittery trading Wednesday even after the U.S. government said it would loan oil to refiners struggling in the wake of Hurricane Katrina to keep production of gasoline and other fuels steady. But wholesale and retail gasoline prices leaped higher nationwide.

Some of the knottiest issues still to be resolved will be restoring electricity to Gulf Coast pipelines and refineries, which are also suffering from flooding that could very well have left critical electric motors submerged. It will be days before a full assessment of the damage can be done, industry officials and analysts said.

Meantime, wholesale gasoline suppliers have begun limiting the amount of fuel they sell to retailers in certain markets in order to make sure they do not take delivery of more fuel than they actually need.

Light sweet crude for October delivery on the New York Mercantile Exchange fell 56 cents to $69.25 a barrel, down from an overnight high of $70.65. On Tuesday, oil futures settled at $69.81, the highest closing price on Nymex since trading began in 1983, although still below the inflation-adjusted high of about $90 a barrel that was set in 1980.

But October gasoline futures surged by almost 20 cents to $2.67 a gallon on the Nymex. That is almost 75 cents, or 38 percent higher, than they were on Friday.

"There's too much uncertainty," said analyst John Kilduff at Fimat USA in New York.

Old 09-01-05, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=J.M.C.],...

It takes about 90 days for a change in oil supply to become a change in gas supply. QUOTE]

Thats what I always thought. One of the biggest gas sellers in this area [currently with highest price] was on the 11pm news saying they were selling their gas for cost. Who does he expect to believe that!

Old 09-01-05, 08:00 AM
Another business owner like myself were discussing gas prices and he mentioned to me that I'd better get ammunition and canned beans here soon because widespread panic is coming soon. I don't know whether to believe it or take it as a joke.

I don't own a gun but I do like baked beans

Old 09-01-05, 08:26 AM
We live in a pretty honest area. You can leave stuff out in the yard and it won't be bothered. Since this gas thing though, we started arming the alarm on the truck at night. People at work are starting to buy locking gas caps due to the increase in thievery on the later shifts.

Old 09-01-05, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
And of course, leading the parade of crazy people are a bunch who are blaming President Bush's environmental policies for causing Katrina led by none other than the Left's newest media mouthpiece pawn, Cindy Sheehan, and at least one foreign leader. I've refrained from commenting on Ms. Sheehan's anti-war activities in light of the fact that she has lost a son (who, by the way, was an adult who volunteered for, and happened to be proud of, the job he was doing), but this is just a little too much.

The looting in the disaster areas will stop when martial law is declared and the looters are shot on sight, but don't look for that to happen anytime soon - not politically correct.

My $.04 worth (price increased because of Katrina).

Old 09-01-05, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The idea of locking gas caps is a moot point for Dodge Dakota and full size pickups since there is a ball at the end of the filler neck. I have tried siphoning gas out fo both these vehicles (my own!!) so I could drop the gas tank easier. the only way I have discovered to take gas out of these plastic tanks was to drop the tank and then take of the filler neck there, Which does take a bit of time to do. If someone wanted to get gas quicker than that on a non fuel injected truck they would have to take off the lines before the fuel pump which is mounted in the engine.

Old 09-02-05, 03:49 AM
Locking gas caps in thought sounds smart. But. Back in the day I wasn't such a good kid. I never had to steel but very close associates would. They could pop a locking gas cap off in less than a second and have your tank empty shortly after.

The best thing is a good alarm sytem.

Old 09-02-05, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe all gas theives aren't as competent as mattisons old aquaintences. 20 yr ago gas thieves came through the neighborhood and stole approx 200 gals of gas one night. They had curious methods - if they stole your gas - they left your cap, if you didn't have enough gas to siphon they stole your cap. My old ford truck had a lock gas cap and although they did break the cap they weren't able to remove it. I think that was the only full tank in the neighborhood the next morning.

Old 09-02-05, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
They had curious methods - if they stole your gas - they left your cap, if you didn't have enough gas to siphon they stole your cap.

Get me a list and I'l send the caps back.

Old 04-19-06, 10:28 AM
I remembered this thread...so ...I just went to the get gas and right now it's @ $3.05/gallon-reg. I could've sworn last week it was @ $2.85 or so...? Anyway... so now my boss said yeah...by this summer it's going to be right below $4. WOW!

So i got this (Idea that was passed on...) What's your opinion? I don't think it works but is it possible?

We are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by summer. (We're there!) Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united aciton.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!

And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas, But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!

...ok...I'm not going to type out the rest...but you get the idea...

Any opinions...thoughts?

Old 04-19-06, 10:43 AM
The problem is people. No plan will work as long as there are the ones who say "It won't hurt if I do it one time." Multiply this by the millions who will say this and theres the answer. People want "everyone else" to solve their problems because they don't have the time or inclination.
You don't see any Government agencys cutting back on their take of the pie either.

Old 04-19-06, 11:36 AM
The problem is really complex. There are so many factors involved. Lots of greed, some politics, foreign affairs, economics and the envronment just to name a few. Add to that our culture and our famous love affair with our vehicles.

Personally, I'm most disappointed with a government that has done absolutely nothing to help solve the problem in the last 35 years. In the early 70s we had what should have been a huge wake up call but after OPEC and the gas companies flexed their muscles and made their billions, we all relaxed and were lulled into believing that everything had returned to normal.
And I'm also pissed at the tree huggers that oppose any energy initiatives other than solar, the NIMBYs that block plans for new refineries, power plants, hydro dams or even wind generators.

Pogo? - "We have met the enemy and he is us"

Old 04-19-06, 03:46 PM
Boycotting gas stations (selectively) will have no impact on prices. The station owners don't price their pumps based on what they paid for the fuel they already purchased, but based on what they might have to pay for the next delivery. Why? Because they have cash flow issues as do all businesses, and they have to make payroll and keep their customers supplied at the same time, so they hate price spikes as much as their customers do. The last thing they want to risk is getting cut out of future deliveries by higher paying stations.

Old 04-20-06, 09:39 PM
We pay about $4.30 per gallon in Canada. Between my wife and I, we spend about 100 bucks per week. We're taking the Saturn everywhere to save a few dollars.

Notice how hard the RV and trailer dealers are running their ads these days? They must be hurting.

Old 04-21-06, 08:44 AM
ouch...so sorry 4 u! I just heard Pennsylvania (???) has no gas or is running out right now?

I'm getting me a motorcycle