It's HOT outside but turn down the air inside!

Old 10-06-05, 03:13 PM
It's HOT outside but turn down the air inside!

I'm in S.CA...and it's hot...or er warm but my boss loves the air condition as he was born and raised in Indiana. ...he doesn't like conserving energy or is just hot? The air condition gets to 75 degrees but that is way too cold for me...if you touch my body...I mean, my hands or feet...they are frozen! Is it me or is the 75 deezgreez cold? Is there an age thing to our body temps? My boss and I are about 20 yrs. diff in age...dunno...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 03:30 PM
75 is not really cold. I don't know about age having anything to do with it. It may have to do with what you are each wearing. Does he wear long pants (possibly a suit) and a long sleeve shirt? And do you wear dresses or skirts and lightweight tops? His metabolism may be much different than yours also. I guess being the boss has it's advantages though.

Old 10-06-05, 03:39 PM
LOL...haha...I wear jeans and pants and a shirt and everyday, winter or summer, spring or fall...a jacket along with whatever I'm wearing. I even have a pair of plush socks to put on when it gets too cold. He wears slacks and a collar shirt (short sleeves). It seems in the mornings he's not as cold as the day prolongs which should be the opposite?...since usually during the day it warms up? Must be metabolism...maybe mine's bad? Maybe I need to get checked? Metabolism...hmmm...I gotta google that. Other people than come in and out of the office tend to feel the same way he does too. Google time...!

Old 10-06-05, 03:54 PM
Metabolism: the more fat or muscle we have the warmer we are? Yeah, that makes sense if true...I don't have enough covering my bones...but the more we move our body...let's say working around the house mornings and nights...painting, DIY-ing...work reg. hours and care for a child...I should be pretty warm on the inside due to great blood flow right? Dunno...can't make sense of it!

Old 10-06-05, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
I read an article once that said that 98% of people are happy with the temperature when it's 78 degrees. I found that very hard to believe, because I'm like your boss apparently, we must be in the other 2%. I love the air conditioning and run it on high in my truck constantly. When my partner shuts his vents, I get the hint and turn it down, but I think I'd let it blow all day if it wasn't for him. I think a lot of it has to do with how we deal with humidity, and perhaps something to do with our sweat glands/pores. Most guys I know sweat like pigs... from all parts of the body. Maybe I haven't noticed, but I've never seen girls sweat like most guys do. (although I'm sure they do).

I've found that girls are often chilly when I'm comfortable, but that way we can give them our suit jackets to keep warm.

Old 10-06-05, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
the thermostat? or the fan switch?

OK, maybe you haven't noticed this one, but I'm going to bring it to your attention. There are two types of people in this world. Those who use the temperature control dial on their dashboard, and those who use the fan switch.

Case in point: It's hot and you have the A/C on in your car. The person sitting beside you gets cold, so they turn the fan down. I, on the other hand, want the air blowing on me, because I'm hot... so I'll turn the fan back up, but then turn the thermostat a little warmer so that it isn't blowing such cold air!

So which type are you?

Old 10-06-05, 08:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Neither Thermostat Nor Fan. Better Solution.

I would turn off the A/C, roll the windows down and advise the passenger to keep his "Meat Hooks" off the controls... I'm driving the vehicle... And saving gas too.....

Old 10-06-05, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Okay then, there are THREE types of people... heh heh

Old 10-07-05, 04:26 AM
My wife keeps our house at 68 - 70 year round. It can be 110 outside and there I am watching tv with a blanket over me. I'm like Sharp I'de rather have my windows down cause heat just don't bather me at all. Of course I never had a/c growing up till I was an adult and got my 1st apartment.

Old 10-07-05, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
DIYADDICT,

As important as temperature is to comfort, humidity level will have a major bearing on how you "feel" in a space.
The main determining factor in what your space humidity will be is the running time of the a/c unit.
This is why it is important an airconditioner is sized correctly.
Too small and it will run too long and remove too much moisture from the air.
The only thing that can be done to correct this is to somehow improve the insulation value of your workplace or raise the temperature.

What would be a big help is if you purchased a digital thermometer/hygrometer to get an accurate reading of the temp and humidity.
If you move the meter to different spaces, like your home, you will soon figure out what levels are comfortable to you.

Old 10-07-05, 08:45 AM
GregH:

Just realized the vent thing on the ceiling is blowing right at me and there's none near my bosses desk. Think we need to trade spots. Do you think drugs have an impact on body temp? ...that's prob a new thread to be added! There are times when I do get warm or hot and he's cold...I actually just bough a hygrometer so maybe I should check out what you said. Maybe I should just move my desk near a window with the sun shining on me. Seems people's temps ranges and we just have to deal with it and whoever is "boss" has control of the switches-boo hoo! AT least at home I'm the boss so everyone can sweat it out..haha

Old 10-07-05, 10:29 AM
Just realized the vent thing on the ceiling is blowing right at me
there's your answer right there. see if you can get him to approve installing a vent deflector. that's what we do here. it diverts the constant breeze. you'll instantly feel warmer.

Old 10-07-05, 10:32 AM
Yup...but getting him to do anything is another thing....maybe I'll just do it myself and he prob won't notice ...or I could just bring in a portable heater for under my desk!...or I could put up a cardboard as the deflector? Hee hee

Today it's 80 degrees outside and I'm wearing my scarf. I look kinda ridiculous...but fashionable...whoo hoo!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-07-05 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 10-18-05, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
I notice the humidity makes a big difference to me. Fortunately, I'm the one who gets to set the thermostat.

Old 10-18-05, 04:28 PM
u must be the boss...?

Old 10-19-05, 04:04 AM
Or single.

Old 10-19-05, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Not the boss and not single.

Old 10-19-05, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
Not the boss and not single.

Us married men are always the boss when the little lady is away or when she lets us

Old 10-19-05, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
On THAT topic, here's a little audio clip:

http://www.seanmorey.com/audio/the-man-song-clip2.mp3

The full song is a scream.

Old 10-19-05, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
OK, I should clarify:

I'm not the boss. I'm the second in command, but the boss spends little time in the office, so I get the thermostat.

I pay the bills at home and it seems to me that he who pays the bills gets to set the thermostat. When my wife tries to change it, I change it back and threaten to make her pay the heating/cooling bills.