Here's a hot chat starter....

Old 10-14-05, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a hot chat starter....

I was saying this long before gas hit $3 a gallon. In a hundred years or so (likely a lot sooner) nuclear power will be THE energy source. Waiting 50 years to start DOING something about it is NOT a good plan. One of the few regrets in my life is that I won't be around 150 years from now when the only thing the middle east has to sell us to buy food is sand for our sandboxes.

==========================================================

When I say the word ‘Nuclear,’ you say what?

Let’s start with word association. When I say “nuclear,” what do you say?
How many of you said, “Power plant, the source of electrical energy we must turn to as fossil-fuel supplies decline and burning oil, natural gas or coal products becomes prohibitively expensive”?
Okay. How of many of you said, “bomb”?
Just as I thought. Nuclear power has an image problem.
Progress Energy Florida is going to have to clear more than a few hurdles to build a planned nuclear power plant somewhere in Central Florida. So far, four counties remain in the running: Polk, Seminole, Osceola and Highlands.
If all the permits (and there are many) can be obtained in a timely fashion, the plant could be serving electricity to vast areas of the state a decade from now, according to Progress chief executive Bill Habermeyer.
Progress already operates the nuclear generating plant at Crystal River in Citrus County, opened in 1977. If this one is built, it would be the first since Florida Power & Light opened a second reactor at its St. Lucie nuclear complex near Fort Pierce in 1983.
There’s a third nuclear power plant at Turkey Point and these three facilities now produce 15 percent of Florida’s electricity.
The problem for Progress is the perception that a nuclear power plant is a terrorist target ripe for bombing. The problem is also a history that includes Three Mile Island and Chernobyl. No matter that nuclear plants are safer than other types, all things considered.
This might be a tough sale.
But it shouldn’t be. The quicker our country can free itself from dependency on foreign oil from unstable nations, the better. Our own oil peak passed in the early 1970s. Since then, the Middle East with all its volatile problems, and Venezuela with its problems, have fed our oil appetite.
At this time, burning fossil fuels remains a viable way to produce the energy our country demands. But oil hits its global peak this Thanksgiving, after which demand will forever exceed supply. Expect sporadic shortages and escalating prices.
We need to prepare now for a future without cheap oil.
Nuclear power (and some limited use of solar power) is the only answer experts offer us as an oil alternative. And if we don’t start building needed facilities now, we’ll face a crisis where there literally isn’t enough oil to produce the energy to build the alternative energy plants.
Progress gets an “A” for its proposal. Now, let’s see how the company handles those who will say that we’re all going to glow in the dark, that the environment will be doomed, that cancers will explode in 20 years, and that we might as well paint a bull’s-eye for Bin Laden on the ground.
And let’s hear what alternatives the “not in my back yard” folks propose as the clock ticks the end time of cheap oil.

Credit Bob Bowden, Sun_Herald 10/14/2005

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like it wasn't such a hot 'chat' starter, instead you made us think.

Old 10-18-05, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
49 "lookers", but nobody speaking up. Thought I might stir up the no-nuke/China Syndrome/Chernobyl hysteria crowd. Maybe all my fellow diy'ers are more thoughtful than I expected.....

Old 10-18-05, 02:31 PM
it's pronounced, "nucular", silly! don't you listen to the President?!?!

Old 10-19-05, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
49 "lookers", but nobody speaking up. Thought I might stir up the no-nuke/China Syndrome/Chernobyl hysteria crowd. Maybe all my fellow diy'ers are more thoughtful than I expected.....
Heh, heh...Yeah I used to be that way, but then I started paying my own way
lol
Now that I'm older, paying bills and taxes, and my neighbors friends and relatives work at the Nuke plant, you get a different perspective
It may not be ideal, but it beats burning dead dino juice

My kick lately is that any economy based on dead dino juice is a bad idea
The simple fact that it will run out someday makes that so
Of course, to get the conversation started I usually say that high gas prices are good
That usually wakes people up, and ticks them off
I truly believe if gas were 6 or 7 bucks a gallon, there would be much more incentive to come up with something else

BTW- I don't mean starting tomorrow, I mean if gas was now 7 bucks, more of us would be working closer to home, riding the trains, we'd have more buses, etc.

As I may be moving to Cape Cod this winter, I have found this fascinating:
http://www.capewind.org/index.php?e1
Cape Wind
An off-shore wind farm slated for Cape Cod
There's some great video of one in Denmark on the site, and some other good info
There is opposition to the farm, and it's not a done deal as of yet
But the idea is pretty cool

Old 12-19-05, 09:03 AM
i don't see what the problem is. dilithium crystals have been around since the mid 60's. guess the auto makers bought up the technology just like the 100 mpg carburator from the 50's

Old 01-07-06, 11:56 PM
Red face

Up here the the cold country,we have been seeing a definite increase in the propoganda ads brought on by the nuclear suppliers.(government run)As previously mentioned "dino juice" is starting to pinch hard.( just shy of $4.00 a US gal)Riding a bike is not a bad idea,15 miles uphill after 12hr day.I think I'll drive the car,for now......thanx for making me think though.
If we could only come up with a use for the uranium after it is used up in the nuc plants...........maybe send it to Africa with all our used up computers...

Old 01-09-06, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I personally feel that the people that we voted for should not be allowed to vote or have a say in the issue until they learn to speak the word properly. I have done some reading on the subject and basically it seems like a fancy way to boil water.

Old 01-09-06, 06:16 PM
" I have done some reading on the subject and basically it seems like a fancy way to boil water." isn't that what they said about the first steam engine ?
not to get too political, but i preffer a president with a mispronounciation than one who doesn't know the deffinition of sexual relations... i'll probably get ******for that

Old 01-11-06, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Amen, flop.

A microwave oven is a fancy way for boiling water, too, but not too many people are likely to ever give theirs up and go back to using the stove for everything.

Search this Thread