Seatbelts & Kids

Old 10-18-05, 11:07 AM
Seatbelts & Kids

why am i still seeing sooooo many little kids in cars NOT strapped in with seatbelts???

do these parents have no conscience at all? why are they so willing to play Russian roulette with their childrens' lives in the event of an accident?

is it really THAT hard to get kids to buckle up? mine were buckled into their baby carrier car seats from the day we brought them home from the hospital, and every day since then. they don't know anything different. it was never a point to be debated or argued or even discussed. i can't even remember them ever asking if they could go for a ride without them! my oldest is able to fasten his own belt and if i even begin to roll backwards before his belt has clicked, he hollers, "WAIT!!!! I'M NOT BUCKLED IN YET!!!"

what's the deal??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 11:36 AM
You're no the only one. I've seen the adults in the front with their seatbelts on while holding an infant in their lap with two or three more climbing around in the back. I called once and all the dispatcher had to say was if I was willing to go to court and testifie then she would take the liscense number.

Cincinnati Police at their finest.

Old 10-18-05, 12:33 PM
Yeah, sad situation. Adults too. I can remember telling my boyfriend every single time, "Put on your sealtbelt!"...Dunno if I was worried about him dying or getting a ticket.. j/k! Anyway after 50 million times of repeating that...he finally got a ticket for not wearing one. Yahoo!!! I was actually quite happy 'bout that cuz now he wears his seatbelt without having to be told...ever! Hopefully all those parents who don't strap their kids in gets tickets before something bad happens...

Old 10-18-05, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
I call the police when I see this. I have never been shrugged off like mattison was, they've always taken me seriously. Once, I even got a call back from the dispatcher thanking me.

Old 10-18-05, 01:47 PM
really? what do you say? you give your location & the car's description & license plate number? do they say they'll track the people down, or what?

is it akin to reporting child endangerment or something?

i've thought about doing that on many occasions, but i figured the police wouldn't have/take the time to follow up.....maybe i'll give it a try next time.

Last edited by Annette; 10-18-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, I tell them where I am, describe the vehicle and give the license # and tell them where the vehicle is heading. Most of my driving is on the interstate and I'm calling on my cell, so I'm dealing with the state patrol. Whether they follow up on it is not something I know.