What time is too early/late to work loudly...

Old 11-01-05, 09:46 AM
What time is too early/late to work loudly...

Don't want to be a bad neighbor....so, need opinions...

I am sawing outside with a power saw and was curious to know what time is a good time in the morning to do this w/out disturbing my neighbors and how late in the night too...what time should I stop?

I am thinking of just talking to them but I wanted to get other peoples opinions first.

BTW I'm sawing laminate wood so it's not a real constant loudness...just short ones....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 10:13 AM
Check to see if you have a local noise ordinance. For instance, domestic tool noise may be a violation between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. and before 9:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Checking with neighbors would be considerate.

Old 11-01-05, 10:16 AM
wow! I didn't even know that exists! Thanks for the info...checking...

Old 11-01-05, 10:20 AM
Ok...so I checked it out and under "construction noise"...7am-8pm Mon-Sat...no Sundays...So is what I am doing fall in this category?

Old 11-01-05, 10:29 AM
i would think of it more along the lines of lawn mowing, since you're not an official "construction company". and i would think Sundays would be okay, too, as long as it's between maybe 9am - 8pm. same for Saturday. 7am is a little early on the weekend.....

Old 11-02-05, 04:58 AM
Based on a "conversation" I had with my wife once when I was remodeling our kitchen (inside work next to the bedroom), 5:00 am is too early. It wasn't pretty All I was doing was sanding!

In our city the noise ordinance is 7:00 am, 7 days a week. Out of respect for my neighbors, I wait til 8:00 on Saturday and 9:00 on Sunday. I may start before those times but I do things that don't make noise like getting set up. I usually don't work past 5 or 6, but that's only because I need some time to relax.

And I would agree with Annette, you aren't really a construction company. I would look at what you're doing as no worse than someone mowing their grass or cotting down a tree with a chain saw.

Bruce

Old 11-02-05, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys...and Annette There is a train that runs behind us so I would think if me and my neighbors can survive that kind of noise at 8:30pm or before 6am, my kinda noise isn't too bad if I be considerate 8-9am or 'til 8pm. Thanks for the tips on time, consideration and "position" ...that I'm not a "construction" person...company...! Actually wanted to work about 5am since I always wake up early but I guess I can just work on something more quiet like pulling out carpet or something 'til the time comes...

Old 12-05-05, 10:18 AM
donia
Visiting Guest
Question

Wow...My Mother always told me not to bother other people before 10am or after 10pm. Looks like that's off on both ends! lol

Old 12-05-05, 11:43 AM
We recently reno'd half a duplex which required lots of cutting and banging. Our hours were 9 AM to 8 PM weekdays and 10 am to 8 pm weekends even though we would rather have gone longer.

Younger kids hit the sack around 8 pm so I think its just considerate to quit then.

Confirmed this with our tenants on other side and they were fine.

In plenty of circumstances we go later but we try to gauge whats appropriate.

Old 12-05-05, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess I'm the a$$hole here, but in the hottest days of the summer, we start roofing at 5AM (before the heat) and I don't really care who likes it or don't.

Old 12-06-05, 06:54 AM
the difference is that you're "in & out" of there, the original poster's main concern is that she has to LIVE next door to her neighbors long after the construction is done. people expect professional roofers & construction companies to start early, not their neighbors.

Search this Thread