How many times have you hammered your thumb?

Old 11-01-05, 03:46 PM
How many times have you hammered your thumb?

Crazy question but it's painful...I was tapping in the laminate wood with the tapping block and hit my thumb twice so far (same day)-durrrrh... but...ouch! Must mean it's time for a break or something. Any tricks on not letting this happen again besides uh...moving my thumb away...far far away? Not to mention...I should probably wear shoes when I'm installing the floor cuz I stepped on the hammer too... Doh!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 06:09 PM
Many moons ago I worked at a cultured marble factory. My job coming in the door was to knock sinks loose from their molds. On occasion while holding the mold up with one hand I would whack my hand at full swing with a rubber mallett. I feel your pain.

Old 11-01-05, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you use a hammer often enough you will eventually hit something you wished you didn't. Same thing with a knife - sooner or later the wrong thing will get cut.

I would think the only way to never get hurt would be to never do anything - wheres the fun in that

Old 11-02-05, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Not worth going into why, but as part of an explanation, I ask all my adult patients if they've ever hit their thumb with a hammer. I'll let you know if someone ever says no.

Old 07-23-06, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heres a OLD thread but thought I would reply I've hit my thumbs lots of times and it hurts.You get the blood bubble that forms afterwards. After I hit my thumb theres always some fun audio to follow if you know what I mean. And the hammer is thrown about 30+ feet.Dave posted a tip to avoid hitting your thumb heres the link

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=267569

Old 07-23-06, 05:26 AM
Lex, Guess that makes 2 old threads. This one was 9 months old.

Old 07-23-06, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Lex, Guess that makes 2 old threads. This one was 9 months old.
So whats wrong with that. Post don't expire at least not in the chats and whines section.

Old 08-10-06, 03:07 PM
Angry tips to avoid hitting your thumb with your hammer

adequate lighting,do not stretch or overreach.I was on a ladder clinching on corner bead with a rubber mallet,just a few feet to go,stretched out at an awkward angle and bingo the mallet slipped off the head of the clincher and broke my hand.

Old 08-11-06, 07:22 PM
Angry

yep hit my thumb on a cold morning stapling romex nail was black for months before it came off OUCH!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-06, 11:25 AM
6,000 nails into my workshop and didn't hit my thumb once. God bless the inventor of the pneumatic nailer.

DWC

Old 08-13-06, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pneumatic nail guns are great and while they reduce/eliminate the chances of hitting your thumb [or whatever] they pose a new set of risks - nailing or puncturing something you shouldn't

Old 08-17-06, 06:54 PM
hammered

just to answer the question: one time more than i ever needed or wanted to.

barry