Worst remodel experiance of my life.

Old 12-15-05, 02:29 AM
Worst remodel experiance of my life.

Just finished tearing out and replacing the floor in the bath and bedroom of a friends mobile home. On a house this was a day and half job , two days tops. I spent seven days on this thing. I know why you dont see contractors advertising to do mobile homes and why you dont see mobile home owners looking for someone to work on them. To have any remodeling done on one would cost you a fortune. That is if I was bidding the job knowing what I now know. Sorry folks just had to rant and blow off some steam. Thanks for listining.

Jim

Last edited by majakdragon; 12-15-05 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 04:17 AM
I've done quite a few remodels in houses, but never in a mobile home. What was different about the mobile home that that made it so much more difficult?

Old 12-15-05, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MHs are a different animal. They are built with speed and efficency which means they use a lot of products that aren't readily available. A lot of the materials used in MHs are specifically made for it. Then add the fact that they aren't assembled in the same order as a conventional home.

The use of particle board floors, funky plumbing and the fact that most don't have overhangs to help keep the rain water from seeping in the walls can make working on MHs a lot of fun

Most of the MH work I have ever done has been for friends and family. I doubt the average customer could afford to pay what it's worth to work on one.

Old 12-15-05, 08:30 AM
Electrical in my Florida Mobile was different too. I had a rocker type light switch that went bad. At the hardware store, the clerk saw me pick up a switch that "looked" identical to my bad one. He asked if it was for a mobile home and when I said yes, he told me it would not work and I would have to go to a Mobile home supply place. Never found out what the difference was. Lots of MH water heaters feed the cold inlet water through the bottom of the tank instead of the top like regular homes have.

Old 12-15-05, 10:06 AM
My dumb butt volenteered to help my cousin replace hi MH water heater. What a pain in the rear. You hade to remove siding from the putside and remove it that way.

Old 12-15-05, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
majakdragon

only difference I've seen in electrical on MHs is some times they use odd sized boxes but I've never had problems installing regular devices.

mattison

I feel your pain. I replaced my stepsons 30 gal, it was in a closet - access inside BUT lowes was out of MH water heaters and I used a conventional heater - plumbings different and you know I had to go back and get more adapters and lines.

Old 12-16-05, 01:20 AM
One of the biggiest problems I had with the flooring on this one was the partical board was put down with a gazillion staples in it and it was glued onto the joices as well. When you pulled it up it came up a chunk at a time and then you had what the glue was holding left ontop of the joice. Had to take a cat claw and chip that away. Onec I got the old floor off the joices I had to then put bracing in that they didnt do at the factory. I could not beleive how time comsuming this was. My buddy's wife wants whirl pool tub put in now. They are going to look at them and get one today. I'll let you know how this goes if everyone lives.

Old 12-16-05, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jim123
My buddy's wife wants whirl pool tub put in now. They are going to look at them and get one today. I'll let you know how this goes if everyone lives.

Maybe you need a new circle of friends

Old 12-17-05, 07:24 PM
Without asking questions on a mobile home water heater replacement, I throw a labor price of $400 to install. And they still have the audacity to ask me if that includes the cost of the water heater too. ?!?!??!?!??!?!??!??!

I've done numerous replacements, all of which are extremely difficult. And to think I was going to direct mail mobile homeowners. I'd rather pass on this.

Old 12-18-05, 06:42 AM
Jacobsen 1990
Visiting Guest
We bought a mobile home to flip a few years back...got a great deal...everything smelled fine the night we bought it but when we came back, it reeked of cats....(I love cats, I have 5 but they are outside cats. We live in the country. This was in a park and she kept them in all the time. I think they told us, she had about 12 in there. I only saw three when we were there.

We had to rip out everything. We ended up with just the shell. Floors, walls, insulation, everything, smelled bad so it all had to go. Even the kitchen cabnits had a funny smell that nothing would get rid of so we had to replace the whole works... We got it for $1000, spent about $1500 on everything else, (my husband is a sheetrock hanger, finisher, etc....so labor was free and some of the things we needed were bartered for. HIs brother helped with the plumbing and the hauling off. There was a lot of that.

We worked on weekends and such, took us three months...sold it for $7500...so we made a tidy profit and got some good exercise and experience. We will never buy another one that has an odor though.....learned a valuable lesson.

Old 01-03-06, 02:20 AM
Ahhh, the trailer house nightmare continues. After I got the new floor put in the bedroom and bathroom I told my buddy I was ready to set the new commode. My buddy said he would like to have regular plumbing pipe put in for the new commode and plans on having the whole house done since he has had so much trouble with the plumbing installed when it was built. This was the first I heard of this so I start asking questions about the problems of the past with the plumbing. (open mouth insert foot) He starts telling me his nightmare story and (Drum roll please) The house is done with "quest plumbing". This was my first experiance to deal with quest and it didnt take me long to learn to hate it. Nothing interchanges with it. I tell my buddy he has two choices. We replum the water lines with new quest or go to copper. Has to be one or the other. I'm now running copper.

Old 01-08-06, 02:29 PM
I just had a water heater replaced in my moble home and didnt have any problems with it. I got a regular type water heater put it instead of the moble home type ones changed the water lines and it purrs like a kitten.

Old 01-15-06, 01:48 AM
How old is your trailer? All my experiances have been with trailers that were 10 yr and older. They do not wear well with time and they are not built to be repaired easily. For example: The floorunder your carpet is glued and stapled to the floor joices that have little to no bracing. If you have a plumbing leak and have to replace the floor you will damage the joices taking the flooring up because of the glue and this triggers a chain reaction to every thing connected. What little bracing you have on the joices will be disturbed thus leaving you to replace floor joices, add better bracing(might as well since its all torn apart already) and replace the particle board flooring the factory installed with 3/4 plywood. You will also damage or ruin some insulation that is in the floor and this will have to be replaced as well. I'm not a fan of trailer houses at all and I feel sorry for the young couples that you see handing over their hard earned and saved down payment to buy these things. Just curious, what did the person charge you to take out the old water heater and install the new one?

Jim

Old 01-15-06, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would never try to say that a MH is better than a conventionaly built home but they do serve a purpose. For many aquiring the great american dream would be impossible without MHs. They do take more maintinence and are usually harder [and frustrating] to work on but it is often better than renting.
I've always said I would rather own a shack than rent a mansion.

My youngest son was able to purchace a used MH right out of high school and now has it paid for. He is now trying to save up to buy and move it on some property.

The biggest problem with MHs is a lot of zoning ordinances discriminate against MHs [especially single wides] limiting where they can be set. Most anyone can gain a lot of satisfaction from having a debt free MH while their friends still have mortgages.

Old 01-15-06, 06:23 PM
Not to defend MHs but I agree they have their place.
My father sold his house and lives in a mobile home at a lake resort for the last 10 years. He used money from his house sale to buy a mobile home in Mesa where he winters. He lived in a house for 65 years but figures its no big deal to MH it and he could never have afforded the Arizona place otherwise and he's happier than a pig in stuff.
I thought I could never live in one until I bought one on a lakefront lot. Within about 2 days I forgot it was a MH.
Yes: poorly constructed, cold/hot and tough to level but cheap and liveable. ON the other hand, I never minded cutting out walls or doors or whatever, its tough to ruin a MH.