Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays

Old 12-23-05, 10:43 AM
Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays

Is anyone else sick of "Happy Holidays", holiday trees, holiday decorations, holiday hams at the grocery store, etc, etc, etc??

I've noticed most stores won't mention Christmas, but you'll see thier ads decorated in red and green, they advertise stocking stuffers and countdown how many more days to shop to the unmentioned Christmas, which is what brings so much money to them.

Merry Christmas

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-05, 11:08 AM
PERSONAL OPINION: Happy Holidays is a "politically correct" greeting for the season.
The season is Christmas. Named for Jesus Christ's birth. If you don't have faith or belief in that, don't observe it or make money from it. I searched, and could not find, which political party Jesus belonged to. Obviously, he did not belong to one or the other because both now say there has to be a seperation of Church and State. Strange how so many polititions run on their religious beliefs. Even our President tauts his spiritual beliefs but sent out "holiday" cards. (self righteousness?)
Bottom line is to NEVER argue religion or politics. There will be no winner as both are BELIEFS and unproveable opinions as to what is best for us.
It is MY opinion to believe so I wish everyone a Merry Christmas OR Happy Holidays (whichever you want). Oh yeah, and the rest of it...Peace on earth, good will towards men (and women).

Old 12-23-05, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
I tailor my speech to my audience. If I know a person celebrates christmas, I'll say it. If they don't, it's usually have a good weekend or take care, as I don't like the sound of 'happy holidays.'

Old 12-27-05, 01:16 PM
I agree with all of the above but regardless of what anyone tells me during the "Holiday" season...I always say "Merry Christmas". Until this year it became a BIG issue, I never realized what came out of my mouth or even others...it was just always said and done. But now it blows my mind on this outrageous stuff. You notice all the "Holiday" words everywhere...on the streets, stores, cards, etc.

In the dictionary "Holiday" is defined as:

1. a day set aside for special religious observance
2. a day of freedom from work;esp: one in commemoration of an event
3. Vacation

So with that said...maybe "holiday" it is not an inappropriate word for Christmas unless you ask the person what definition they are talking about! With that said, Christmas is defined IMO as #1

Old 12-28-05, 07:28 AM
good grief!

i've been saying "Happy Holidays" for years, but not because i was avoiding saying the word "Christmas", i just thought that the phrase "holidays" encompassed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and all the others! by saying "Happy Holidays" i meant "Enjoy ALL the various holidays to come at this festive time of the year". it's just shorter & quicker than saying "Happy Thanksgiving, and in case i don't see you, have a Merry Christmas and happy new year, too!". that's all.

the real problem, as i see it, are the people who either don't believe in God, (or say they do but then don't bother to ever go to church), and still celebrate Christmas. they're not celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, they're celebrating the "coming of Santa Claus with his sack full of toys". that's NOT what Christmas is truly about.

Christmas has become too much about Santa and not enough about Jesus. too many Santas & reindeer & snowmen and not enough nativity scenes. there needs to be a better balance.

Old 12-28-05, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
Christmas has become too much about Santa and not enough about Jesus. too many Santas & reindeer & snowmen and not enough nativity scenes. there needs to be a better balance.

I totally agree

Old 12-28-05, 10:10 PM
It should be Christmas - Not Happy Holidays!

As I came upon this, I think I'll say my peace about it.

I was raised in a home where parents were parents. Nowdays, being a parent is trying to get the how-to-be-one from a book, a talk show or a bottle of wine! My parents explained to me about Christmas and it's meaning. It became more prominent, in the process of being confirmed.

Not that I am declaring I am a christian or an athiest (excuse the spelling) but the use of Happy Holidays, particularily this year has been an issue all over.

As you can tell by my signature, I didn't want to offend anyone, so here I am using it. Do I agree with using it? Heck no!

I think people, the crazy ones, have started to make society use odd phrases or instill their will on the majority. It literally is tearing the country apart. Christmas has always been important. Religion, in general, is a money maker for all and if opportunity strikes, people will do whatever to cash in. Obviously, we all take advantage of it i.e. Xmas sales - before and after Xmas!

The use of "Politically Correct" should actually be phased "Politically Corrupt or Politically Wrong" This is someones idea of a big JOKE!

We seem to have a very hipocritical society - The issue of separation of Church and State is a joke! Look at your dollar bill, the words on the Supreme Court building, etc. The issue of being a christian - if anyone declares they are, usually is a total jerk 6 days of the week and goes to church on Sunday to try and make up for their screwups! Politicians are good for this - looks good for publicity but falls short of pacticing what they declare they are!

Christmas a special time of the year but we take too much for granted and disregard what really is important or what Christmas really means. We have become too greedy, too selfish, too much in a hurry to enjoy life! As Annette says - you either celebrate it due to Santa Claus and the gifts or you celebrate it due to the religious base it was founded upon. My parents raised me to do both and it can be done.

In todays world, it seems that most don't know the difference, so making up new phrases or rules is just because many are just plain lost within todays world! Sad but true.

So have a Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-05, 01:40 PM
Hey Doug...you started off with "It should be Christmas...not happy holidays" and ended with "Happy Holidays"...

I just had to put in a few more words so here goes...

First off, if I can do this...here's a site for others to read if interested in
Santa Claus, Christmas, St. Nick, etc. It's just a history lesson...
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

When my son was younger I told him Santa Claus was not real as I most always, tell the truth. Until this year, I have learned Santa Claus is indeed real and had to hear or read further information about him so I can speak the truth...that he WILL NOT come down the chimney, fill our stockings, ride in the sky with his sleigh and reindeers, etc. (OH! Sorry for spilling the beans to those that just found out from reading this. I apologize. )So, all in all, all the shopping and gift giving is not entirely bad or wrong, it is what's in our heart as we give during the Christmas season and know why we are giving and celebrating. And for those that do not know the meaning of Christmas, it's ok too...buying, making, giving to one another is a start anyway. I do believe there are still ungreedy, unselfish, good people still out there.

Old 12-29-05, 02:55 PM
DIYADDICT,

True, but I did throw in my disclaimer though,

"As you can tell by my signature, I didn't want to offend anyone, so here I am using it. Do I agree with using it? Heck no!"

I agree with you!

Search this Thread