Utility company working on utility lines

Old 01-12-06, 12:06 PM
Utility company working on utility lines

Have no idea where to put this so...it's here

So I get a note from one the of utiliy companies that they will be working on the utility lines that's in my yard (the ones that's underground/under the dirt). They didn't state on the note what they were doing exactly except they had to dig. I completely understand they have a right to do it but my problem is...I dug up the old raggedity grass that was there and tossed it, placed covering, sand and rocks in the area so nothing else will grow there, trimmed the area with bricks...isn't it going to take them a lot of work to dig in that area? Do I have to move it myself or something? The note did state that the area needed to be accessable (which technically it is) and they'd work in a professional manner and when they're done with whatever they're doing they'd put everything back the way it was or better...really?

I know I should just call and ask but I don't want to. I just figured I'd let them figure it out themselves. Think that's ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-06, 12:31 PM
Many utility companies have an easement so they can work on their services. This can decide what they do after the work is done. If it is your property and no easement granted, then they would have a responsibility to put it back the way it was before work started. It would be advisable to take pictures so there is no argument as to what the property looked like before they started. Good luck.

Old 01-12-06, 12:36 PM
Thanks for that tip about the pictures. I better take one asap!

Old 01-12-06, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whether they have an easement or not utilities are usually responsible to bring the affected property back to its original condition.

Access just means you can't build on it and if you got your rv parked in the way they want it moved.

Old 01-13-06, 05:47 AM
if you are not around to watch them during the clean up portion of the job, they will slap it back together to resemble its former condition. they are not landscapers and do not usually hire them to do clean ups for them. expect to have to redo the area yourself and also expect settling of the ditches over time as they usually do not tamp soils back very good.
j.m.o. based on previous experiences.

Old 01-13-06, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
"My Two Cents"

Hello: DIYADDICT

For the most part, rest easy. Utility companies, in most areas depending upon circumstances, etc. also take pictures before work starts. Doing so helps avoid homeowner expectations of getting better than existing final results once all work is completed.

In cases where landscaping is extensive, outside sub contracting to specialty companies are used to help insure area is back to original conditions as best as reasonably possible.

No homeowner expected labor or costs involved or very little. Problems arise when homeowner expectations exceed original conditions. That's where pictures help and help resolve issues of before and after differances often times. Use to deal with these types of issues often.

Old 01-13-06, 06:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All this reminds me of a problem I had with the phone company in fla almost 20 yr ago. They dug a big hole in my front yard ... and left it. 2 months later I did the phone tag thing and finally got the right supervisor. After a day of research he called and said it would be filled tomorrow. He even called the next evening to see if it had been done. When he found out that they didn't lay new sod he said they would tomorrow. I came home from work the next day to find a big hole in my front yard, figuring maybe there was a problem I let it slide for a week before calling the supervisor. He was livid, said those#@*#%[email protected] idiots. It was filled the next day but they never did sod it.

I'm sure my experience was the rare exception of the rule. It doesn't hurt to let them know if you're not satisfied when they finish. The worst they can do is say no [I think ]

Old 01-13-06, 09:21 AM
Hmmm...lot said!Thanks guys.

I was just kinda concerned and felt bad if they really expected to put the things back to normal when they were done b/c I really put a lot effort in that area laying the plastic, sand and rocks. I was just wondering how they were going to remove it in the first place and then put it all back.

What I did in the area is not considered "building" though right? As I just "layed" things on top of the area...?

Sorry about your bad experience Marksr! See...that's what I don't want to have to go through! But I should at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-06-06, 12:13 PM
Since my first post on this on 1/13/06...they have not showed up or done anything yet...is that unusual?

Old 02-06-06, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Plans change so they might come tommorrow or next year or maybe not at all. Surely you know they figure you don't need to be kept informed. Ofcourse according to Murphy's Law they will show up the day after you quit looking and when it is the most inconvienent

Old 02-09-06, 11:42 AM
utility

i have worked as a lineman for a utility for 25 years, the advice that you got about taking pictures before and after is priceless, when the lineman get finished with the job the area will definitly need further attention in the future, like added dirt because if settling, also, the utility may have an easement, but, they must leave your property the way they found it.