Is buying tools an addiction...can it be?

Old 01-28-06, 01:26 AM
Is buying tools an addiction...can it be?

I've been wondering this. I've always enjoyed electronics and photography. The only reason I don't own more stuff to plug in is my wife has settled me down a bit. Being a new home owner...it's opened my eyes to the wonderful world known as power tools. This site is very helpful and I appreciate all the help and advice I've received. It does however, prompt me to constantly look at other threads regarding other tools. I then look at sites that sell tools. Eventually, I start to want these tools. So...I ask...can buying tools become an addiction?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 04:03 AM
Yes
Warning signs:
Lying about tool purchases
Hiding tool purchases
Avoiding other normal activities/social events would enjoy to purchase tools
Purchasing tools to make you feel better because you had a bad day
Purchasing tools because you had a good day
Getting new credit cards (that the spouse doesn't know about) just to purchase tools
Paying other bills late or the minimum on CCs because the money was spent on tools

As the tools have more of a "reasonable" excuse (in the mind of the addict) as opposed to shoes or dollhouses (look honey, I can fix stuff), it can be quite a problem
And as with most addicts, it's not the tool purchases affecting thier lives so (again, in the addicts mind), it's always something else

Old 01-28-06, 05:15 AM
Hiding tool purchases.

That's the one I use often.

Old 01-28-06, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you got to have an addiction its not a bad one to have

Old 01-28-06, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
My list of warning signs (with apologies to AA):

1. Do you buy tools because you have problems? To relax?
2. Do you buy tools when you get mad at other people?
3. Do you prefer to buy tools alone rather than with other people?
4. Did you ever try to stop buying tools or buy fewer of them?
5. Have you begun to buy tools in the morning, before school or work?
6. Do you buy a lot of tools all in one big purchase?
7. Do you ever forget having bought tools?
8. Do you lie about buying tools?
9. Do you ever get in trouble for buying tools?
10. Do you ever buy tools even when you were only looking and didn't intend to buy them?
11. Do you think it's cool to hold your tools?
12. Do you buy tools to forget?
13. Do you buy tools to feel better?

If you answer yes to more than three of the above, you might be a tool buying addict.

Old 01-28-06, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Hi, my name is mitch and I'm a tool buying addict.

Old 01-28-06, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Hi, my name is mitch and I'm a tool buying addict.
great reply

Old 01-28-06, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
tow guy

Is #14 you get the shakes when trying to do a job with the wrong tools?

Old 01-28-06, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Negative, the cure for having the wrong tools is to have a cold beer and then go buy the right tool.

Anybody heard the song parody "At Home Depot..." by Sean Morey:

http://www.seanmorey.com/audio/luv-t...home-depot.mp3

The entire song is a scream (as is all of his material).

Old 01-28-06, 02:27 PM
just have to convice wifey there for something she wants done

were getiing ready to remodel our kitchen so of course every tool I buynow is needed for the kitchen remodel

I was looking at a new chopsaw the other day ...gotta have it to trim out those new kitchen cabinets

Old 01-28-06, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Anybody heard the song parody "At Home Depot..." by Sean Morey:

http://www.seanmorey.com/audio/luv-t...home-depot.mp3

The entire song is a scream (as is all of his material).
No but that was pretty funny
I went to the site and listened to some more clips
LOL

Old 01-28-06, 06:47 PM
Addiction, affliction, whatever it is....it feels GOOD. Just putting that new tool in the cart brings visions of all the stuff you can now build because you own it. The pyramids were nothing compared to what you can cut out with that new tablesaw. A math major would have trouble calculating how many angles you can achieve with the mitersaw you just got. Mental pictures of all the great stuff your wife will have since you are capable of building it for her. If I ever loved obsession, it would be of that for tools.

Old 01-28-06, 06:54 PM
if you've ever looked at a pair of rails containing the full array of snap-on 1/4" sockets in 6 pt, 12 pt, metric and sae and had the expression of a woman that was just handed a string of pearls.. then your in deep, and easier to pick out of a crowd than Pavlov's dog. and it won't ever stop

Old 01-28-06, 10:21 PM
Logic significant others sometimes go for.

If I do X myself, we can save $xxxx.00 but I will need to buy some tools. In the end, we have X done AND we have all these tools that we can use to save even more money!!! PLUS, tools are deductible. They are the best investment we can make!!

Its still a good idea to hide new tools. Best to pay cash so there is no paper trail.

Old 01-28-06, 10:35 PM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. It's coming around to where I can tell my wife I absolutely need the tools. She commented today that I've been buying these tools and haven't started anything yet...I told her I wanted to make sure I didn't have to buy anything last minute . It worked this time...but I better start on something for her soon, or I won't be lucky for too long. Cash = hide it better = "I've had that for at least a year (picked it up 1 week ago)"

Old 01-29-06, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
It's best to start some projects because you can then claim that you need to buy this tool and that tool to do the job.

Old 01-29-06, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the rest of the lyrics, slickshift. [Site says "Free Lyrics", so I assume it's okay to post them]:

AT HOME DEPOT
by Sean Morey

When this old world starts getting me down and even
my garage wonít cheer me up
I drive right down to a place that Iíve found where
problems drift away like old sawdust
At Home Depot itís a world for guys
to hang around and fondle building supplies

Let me tell you now
when I am feeling henpecked and whipped
I go down there and buy a new vice grip
(at Home Depot)
a real man needs a place that is his
sometimes the employees even know where stuff is
(at Home Depot)
Thereís the electric sanders and nail shooters
and thereís that cute check out girl with the bigÖcomputer
Letís go to Home Depot

I go down there to buy a screw
I might as well get a riding lawn mower too
(at Home Depot)
I fill my truck with tons of gear
now I wonít have to come back for an...hour
A 2000 dollar table saw means that
I can build a $6 spice rack
Letís go to Home Depot

Old 01-29-06, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am not an addict. I am not an addict. Say it a few hundred times and you will feel better. As I have posted before, if you buy a tool, take it out of the box before you leave the store, take dirt, rub it in your hands and rub over the casing of the machine. That way when your wife asks, "is that new", you can swear, "heck, no, I've had that for over a year!" Your nose will grow an inch, but you may get away with it, who knows. You may have to sleep with your tool, too, so be careful.
I have been fortunate to have inherited alot of my big tools, and have enhanced my shop to where I just don't "need" any more. But like Majakdragon says, Gosh it feels good!!

Old 01-30-06, 12:05 PM
OMG ~ you guys are PATHETIC!!!

don't you EVER give women a hard time about buying SHOES again!!!

and now you know why WE love shoes so much and need so MANY of them.........
just like tools, each one is just a little different from the next one,
each one serves an entirely different purpose, and no matter how
much weight you gain, they always FIT!!!!

(...okay, maybe that last one about fit doesn't exactly apply to tools,
but you get my drift..... )

Old 01-30-06, 12:44 PM
But shoes don't DO anything except take up space. UNLESS, you have a husband with tools to build more storage space.

Old 01-30-06, 12:48 PM
shoes are a necessity. you have to wear a pair every day! all day long! i bet you don't even use a tool every day!!

Old 01-30-06, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you wear shoes every day, but only one pair. In a lot of cases, tools are specialized. I fail to see how this thread justifies shoe mania, let alone explain it.

Old 01-30-06, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I remodeled our bed rm I added a small walk in closet. My wife loves shoes so I built a set of small shelves to accomadate 16 pair. Sounds reasonable to me - I've never had more than 3 pair of work boots, 1 pair of cowboy boots and 1 tennis shoes. Well to make a long story short, 3 years later she has doubled up the shoes and still has a big pile on the floor besides the ones that are in the boxes on the floor

I know I own a lot of tools and some are only occasionally used for specific jobs but don't see how they can be compared. Like me my wife only has 2 feet and can only wear 1 pair at a time. My honeydo list is constantly growing and not from lack of work on my part. I have no doubt that some of her shoes [like her vast array of clothes] are never or only worn once before eventually being given away. My tools are however always used sooner or later and are only replaced when worn out.

just my nickel - inflation you know 2 cents wasn't enough

Old 01-30-06, 03:46 PM
Attack of the Moderators
Score...
Shoes - 1
Tools - A modest 98

This makes me almost wish my wife loved shoes...then I'd have ammo.

Old 02-02-06, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Re: Shoes

1. Tools never go out of style.
2. Tools "go" with anything.
3. When you break one (at least for Craftsman) you run down to the nearest Sears and they give you a free replacement.

Old 02-02-06, 10:51 AM
1. Tools never go out of style.... not true for shoes.
2. Tools "go" with anything..... not true for shoes.
3. When you break one (at least for Craftsman) you run down to the nearest Sears and they give you a free replacement.... certainly not true for shoes! and that's WHY we HAVE to have so MANY different (seemingly the same to you, though) pairs of shoes!!!!

i just want us all (men & women) to come to an understanding about this shoe thing, and comparing them to your tool collections is a good start. it's not that we just WANT so many shoes, please understand - we HAVE to have them - each pair only goes with a couple different outfits! you guys only wear pants, jeans & shorts. you only need a couple different shoes. we gals wear jeans, too, but we can keep them casual or dress them up, we have dressy shorts & casual shorts, dressy pants & casual pants, long dresses, short dresses, long skirts, short skirts, and then double everything for winter & summer! it's crazy - i agree!! but remember, we're victims! victims of fashion, all to look as cute as we can......FOR YOU!!!!

Old 02-02-06, 11:07 AM
It's really much the same with tools. You buy the basics (just like a new outfit) and then you need to accessorize them. Bits, blades, guides, jigs. Just as you have to change shoes for each outfit, we have to change bits/blades on our tools to make the right cuts or contours. We are victims too. Of technology. We buy tools to keep up with all the fancy stuff that we build... for YOU.

Old 02-02-06, 11:12 AM
that makes sense to me. and i accept that. and it seems, you understand the shoes. so why can't you (men in general) understand & accept our shoes? why must our shoes (and clothes, and jewelry, and makeup...) be the butt of so many jokes & eyes rolling?

and i just thought of something......tools DO go out of style. they keep inventing new things to keep you all buying, like laser levels and cordless this & rechargeable that & dremels & new & improved gadgets......all to keep the consumer coming back for more. if tools never went out of style, the tool companies would go out of business!

Old 02-02-06, 11:18 AM
I guess make-up is like stain. You can finish pine with oak stain. Sooner or later the piece will get scraped or dented and you will know what is really underneath.

Old 02-02-06, 11:20 AM
HEY NOW! our makeup isn't hiding anything ~ it's ENHANCING!!!

Old 02-02-06, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Annette, you weren't Imelda Marcos in a previous life were you?

Majak - STOP! You're killing me!

The rest of you fellow tool addicts, try this with your significant other: "I'm sorry, Honey, I would really like to ____________________________ for you, but I don't have the right tool(s). See how many times you can get away with using that before it's her idea for you to buy a/some tools.

tg

Old 02-02-06, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
try this with your significant other: "I'm sorry, Honey, I would really like to ____________________________ for you, but I don't have the right tool(s). See how many times you can get away with using that before it's her idea for you to buy a/some tools.

Only one problem, she's seen my shop and some of my tools and her closet [including the ones in other rooms she uses] doesn't compare.

Annette

My wife has fessed up a time or two to buying a pair of shoes identical to good pair she already owns.

Old 02-03-06, 01:05 AM
This is funny! Majak...that stain comment was classic .

No points earned for shoes. Points given for the commitment to the cause

Shoes = 5
Tools = 121

Old 02-03-06, 07:28 AM
cambece
Visiting Guest
yeah, you might want to get on the took patch its will make cravings much more managable...

Cambece

Old 02-03-06, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
I bought an air compressor and a couple nailers last fall. First time my wife saw it was when I brought it to her office to put toe kicks on cabinets we had recently installed. She looked at the stuff when I walked in, asked what it was and replied "Nice" when I told her and explained how it was going to help. Diplomacy: the art of letting someone else have your way.

Old 02-03-06, 11:12 AM
mitch...that reminds me of something that just happened Wednesday...

My wife knew I needed to run some speaker wire (she also wanted me to). I took paneling off the wall and the baseboards. I ran the cable behind everthing. I purposely left the compressor out. She came home and asked what it was doing out. I explained what I used it for...she didn't know the uses for the compressor....score a point for future tool purchases

Old 02-03-06, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr
My wife has fessed up a time or two to buying a pair of shoes identical to good pair she already owns.

You've never bought a tool you already had one of???

Old 02-04-06, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Only when I had use for 2. Well maybe when one got misplaced....

p.s. I only pick on my wife because she's the only one that will put up with me.

Old 02-04-06, 09:04 PM
I tell you where you can relapse if you have "abstained" from buying tools is Harbor Freight. You would not believe how many people I have told about that place, they go one time and all I hear from that point on is that they are going on a weekly basis buying all kinds of stuff.

I cannot get out of the store without spending a minimum of $100. I am sure I would fail every 12 step program as soon as the fliers/catalogs show up in the mail.

If I was a carpenter instead of a plumber I would like to have one of those lasers they have that shoots a consistent red laser line under $40 with suction cups and levelers. Sure beats the ole chalk line on the wall method. I'm thinking you could set that device away from you when hanging cabinets, figure out your studs and shine that into the cabinets while the doors are opening while you are running the screws in, saaaaaaaweeet! No more guessing where to hit a stud.

Old 02-05-06, 04:55 AM
This has got to be one of the best threads I've seen in here in a long time.

Shoes vs tools.

The way I look at it, my wife can buy as many shoes and get her hair done every week and whatever else her little heart desires as long as when I need something that's important "like a tool" that the money is there.

Search this Thread