Why ask why when I ask why?

Old 02-13-06, 09:02 AM
Why ask why when I ask why?

I just told my boss the printer was working. He asks me what am I trying to print! Why does that matter? AND how does that make it NOT work???!!! I asked him to try and print from his computer but he tells me that it hasn't printed for a while. ???!!! Then he asks me why I think it's not printing... What the....????!!!! Doesn't he think if I KNEW why it was working I should be able to solve the problem? He solved the problem finally but it's just sometimes these conversations are meaningless!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I can see how that might be a little frustrating. Here's to hoping my employees think I'm a better boss than that.

Old 02-13-06, 09:27 AM
Sounds like he doesn't have an answer but won't admit it. Answering questions with questions is a good way to skirt the original issue. Do you walk away after one of these conversations or pursue it?

Old 02-13-06, 09:48 AM
Sometimes I just answer his dumb questions, sometimes I play along with it, sometimes I laugh at him, sometimes I just get mad and say nothing. This happens all the time...I sometimes think he just doesn't want to work or even be here! At times when I don't answer him he gets even dumber so I just shrugg my shoulders and act stupid too.

Old 02-13-06, 10:30 AM
i'm sure you were frustrated but in all fairness your boss likely has other things on his mind. not knowing your network, what you are trying to print could be an issue. as i give more autonomy to employees i get fewer questions and things get done faster. don't forget who puts the cash in your pocket and see to it that person percieves value in your position.

Old 02-13-06, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
I'm always irritated by people who can't admit it when they don't know something. There is no one on this planet who knows everything, it's not possible. Not knowing is called ignorance. Ignorance is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means you don't know - if your job is to maintain and repair printers, this should be right up your alley. If your job is to do something entirely different, it would be reasonable to be ignorant of what's wrong with the printer and how to fix it. How is admitting that so hard?

Old 02-13-06, 10:45 AM
Flopshot: That's true but the printer also puts money in his pockets so if he can't get it to work, then there's no work right?

mitch17: I totally agree with you! I find that A LOT of people in the work place will hardly ever admit they are wrong or can't do something so hey, if they can't admit it then they need to take care of it.

Old 02-13-06, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
I never thought about that - you can't ask for help if you can't admit you don't know.

Old 02-13-06, 01:56 PM
agreed. one reason my boss consults with me as much as he does is because i will tell him i don't know. i was just trying to make the point that if my boss knew everything i knew, and could do everything that i do, he'd be useless to ME i'd rather keep him on task. as far as what mitch said, i knew a very wise business owner who once told me " ignorance i can fix, it's stupidity i can't do anything with."

Old 02-13-06, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Oh yeah, ignorance and stupidity are entirely different things.