Quite an experience

Old 02-28-06, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Quite an experience

Thanks to all those who wished me well on my trip- we made it back yesterday after 2 long days of driving. Its not exactly what you want to do when you're tired and sore. The part of Louisiana we were assigned to was the Houma area (pronounced home-a, like Okla-homa). Our crew was made up of spiritual friends mainly from Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Alaska, and a few from other states as well. There were about 25 people assigned to each work crew and we mostly worked on roofs- tearoff, repaper, reshingle, cleanup. Our crew averaged about 1.5 roofs per day. We did one house (20 1/3 sq) in 2 hours 10 minutes! It was a lot of fun meeting others, trading stories, working with new friends and encouraging those who have lost so much.

The housing in the Houma, LA area was not damaged as badly as other areas, so we were actually assigned to a relatively "easy" area. There were many houses along the bayous that were damaged by flood waters. These houses needed mold remediation, the lower areas of drywall replaced, and all the trim and finish work that would entail. I was on an interior crew installing trim for 2 days. We spent 8 days roofing and parts of 3 days touring.

The damage in certain areas of New Orleans is unbelievable. Its very sobering to see the damage in person. We also visited the Bay St. Louis region, near where Katrina came ashore, and much of the housing there has also been utterly destroyed. It was shocking to see articles of clothing strewn about in the trees, or pieces of furniture lodged in the branches. Piers with no houses atop them. Cars strewn about like litter.

Seeing such things prompts me to realize that our material things are not the most important things in life, neither are they permanent. It reminds me of the portion of Scripture that follows the model prayer, at Matt 6:19,20 that says "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven". Our possessions might be here one day and gone the next.

At any rate, I was glad to be able to have a small hand in helping others, and my wife and I look forward to visiting there again, perhaps when the reconstruction of New Orleans gets underway.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-06, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome back. May God bless you as you have blessed those affected by the hurricane.