USA flushing all at once???

Old 03-02-06, 11:58 AM
USA flushing all at once???

Would anything happen if every single toilet in the U.S. was flushed at the exact same time?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 12:56 PM
Rapture,

Before we can consider your question, are urinals included?

Don

Old 03-02-06, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Rapture:

Shouldn't you be out buying tools?

Old 03-02-06, 04:20 PM
California would disappear?

Old 03-02-06, 05:46 PM
The inertia from all those swirling bowls would rotate the country approx. 17* counter-clockwise

Old 03-02-06, 06:48 PM
I cannot believe you all didn't see the halftime flush website pop up during the superbowl. Of course, it has to do with plumbing so I guess I shouldn't expect people's ears to perk up on these sorts of things.

Here's a snipet, this gives you an example of how it flows.

THE BIG GAME HALFTIME FLUSH LEGENDÖ

Legend has it during halftime of footballís Big Game in February, more than 350 million gallons of water will flush through our toilets as an estimated 90 million people use their facilities. That amount of flushing equals seven minutes of water flowing over the Niagara Falls

Old 03-03-06, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Rapture:

Shouldn't you be out buying tools?
Who said this question doesn't lead to a plumbing tool question??? Nah...it really doesn't, but I thought I'd throw one of those "why are you even asking this" questions out there.

I was at work tonight looking for anything broken I needed a tool for. I felt like going to HD and couldn't

Old 03-03-06, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by dwcurry
Rapture,

Before we can consider your question, are urinals included?

Don

Yep...everything.

Old 03-03-06, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
The inertia from all those swirling bowls would rotate the country approx. 17* counter-clockwise

This is actually what I was wondering...to an extent. With all that pressure from flushing, would people feel it...sorta like a mini earthquake?

Old 03-03-06, 04:44 AM
But see south of the equator the toilets flush backwards so it would even out and the earth would continue on it's natural axis.

Old 03-03-06, 05:57 AM
Lol...
As per DUNBAR PLUMBER's reply, the story goes that this has actually been a problem in big cities during the first commercial break during the Superbowl
What I've read over the years was the pressure would drop during the first 5 minutes of the first commercial break
Apparently this is less of a problem now, as the Superbowl ads are almost as anticipated as the game, so the flushing is a bit more spread out

Old 03-03-06, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Back when I was a young Devil Dog on my first overseas assignment, I lived in some fairly ancient quarters with, of course, fairly large community heads (bathrooms to you non-Naval pukes). Water pressure was a real problem and it was fairly common to get a surprise in the shower when someone flushed a toilet as the water temperature had a momentary rise of several degrees due to the drop in cold-side pressure. Some of the folks would even set people up - the adjoining toilet stalls had no doors ("You want privacy you shoulda joined the Air Force!") and if three or four people were on the throne at the same time (and water could be heard in the showers) the ringleader would get the other's attention and count 1-2-3 and everybody would reach back and yank the flush handle. Loud SCREAM from the showers as someone got second-degree burns in the shower.

At least that's what I heard that they would do.....