is there a void of honest hard working people?

Old 03-06-06, 08:33 AM
is there a void of honest hard working people?

I have seen more and more in the service industry that there is a void or lack of...of people that are actually willing to do hard work for their money. I have found it interesting that many people even have trouble showing up for work all together..or on time. Once there, again, they do lousy work. This forces wages down and hours up to off set the loss in productivity. Were the labor is poor and is going to take much more time than a skilled worker. To my amazement more and more employers actually do not care of the quality of work their employees produce. Most are just happy with a warm body. With more and more companies doing pay raises based on cost of living and not the actual performance of the staff..i do not see a end to this. Most have the attitude well if i know im going to get a 50 cent raise if i do a good job or not..why should i care?

I posted this not as much to complain about it, but rather try to wake ppl up to what is happening in our country.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-06, 09:44 AM
Where I live it is very evident. We have 4 major employers that workers "travel" through. Most plants here have a 60 or 90 day rehire program. People work a while then quit or get fired and within a year, they are back. Never ending procession. Being from up North, I never saw this before. Once you left a job, there was no going back.
One thing I did notice though. When a bunch of the big companies moved South to save labor costs, they didn't know that lower wages came at a price. Absenteeism increases at the beginning of hunting season. Employee thinking is that "Fire me, I'll get another job and be back here in a few months". And it's true.

Old 03-06-06, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
We've also found it's harder to get tenants into our rental units who are going to pay their rent on time and live within the rules of the lease. Our society is seeing the percentage of people with no self responsibility rise quickly.

Old 03-06-06, 10:07 AM
On top of all this...if and when a good job is done...there is no reward. Just got a recent "newsletter" from a contract company we do services for. Been in the contract for over 1 year...worked every day they needed us to. Worked over Thanksgiving, Christmas..when no one else would or could. Went thru endless battles over being paid for services and in that 1 year..even thou they said we have maintained one of their contracts better than anyone else has in 80+ retail stores. There has been no thanks...no mention of a job well done. Nothing...Absolutely nothing.....Ill remember that next time my wife to be doesnt want me to work over the holidays. Or when i get woken up at 0515 this morning..to have to go cover when someone is sick.

Old 03-06-06, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Although retired now, I used to own my own business with a few employees. Finding good help is next to impossible. I have found that the employees that always show up are the ones that are either real lazy or just incompetent Every good hard working painter I have ever hired has either been unreliable or expected to be paid more than me. The best employee I ever had was a little girl that worked hard, not a lot of skill but enough for the job. She worked for me for 2 years but I don't believe she ever got a 40 hr week in. Either she would show up late or leave early.

Sub contractors can be just as bad - there are many that worry more about getting paid on friday than about doing a good job or having a good reputation.

Old 03-06-06, 11:37 AM
DocDuck you framed that quite nicely. And Mitch17 I have the same feelings about certain tenants as you do, they try to make me feel if they can't pay on time it's my fault. I never hear from them when there behind (on rent) but soon as they pay they complain about everything under the sun. People are so outstanding at deflecting their shortcomings its simply amazing. I deal with so much of this at work I feel at times like hiding from these goofballs on my days off!

Old 03-06-06, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
rentem:

I don't want to play one-upsmanship here, but our tenants don't wait til the rent's paid to start complaining about anything and everything.

Old 03-06-06, 09:09 PM
Paying your rent should be a priority right? Its nice to have a place to live. But it takes me 2 months to get someone out for not paying. Oh to have a low vacancy rate so you could pick and choose.

Anyway, we digress.

Yes it seems the customer service focus of the 80's has gone down the tubes. I remember the mantra "every customer matters". It felt good to excel at customer service and you had the support of the company. Remember Tom Peters?

Now, "big" and "merge" to get even bigger is the in thing. Its all about dividends and stocks. Who ever talks about customer service these days?

Most companies have figured out that they have a million customers and it is more profitable to just lose a customer rather than go an extra mile to keep one. If someone doesn't fit the mold, there is someone else that will and if you lose too many, just change something or get bought out at a big profit.

Customer service is not the competitive edge anymore. We as consumers have lost our leverage. Outsource offshore cause its cheaper........so what if you can't make out what people are saying because of the accent?

Honestly...... they are probably right. It is more profitable.

Most people feel good providing good service but if it really doesn't matter, it really doesn't matter.

My guess is it will change back to a customer focus very soon. Wont that be nice?

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-07-06 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will be very nice, indeed. I have the same problem. I am in the Deep South, where hard working sweaty browed, thick skinned men are supposed to be abundant (aren't they?). So what's the deal? I can't get hardly anyone to show up when they are supposed to and the ones that do aren't capable of performing the task. I have 2 good guys that I feel fortunate to have working with me. One is slightly mentally challenged due to a heat stroke, but he works like a horse on steroids. The other guy is just an average skilled guy with good work ethics and Christian values and a good guy all around. I just let a guy go that was on time every time and worked steady, but he couldn't do the job. He couldn't even perform the unskilled mindless jobs that I put him on. And he was in his '60s (which I thought would be a plus, as far as keeping his mind on what he was doing).

With sub-contractors, It seems like they don't even want the job sometimes. I send them a job and give them the contact info and details on when to call the customer, and a few days later the customer calls me wondering if someone is ever going to call. The sub-contractor never did. Now I have to call customers and ask them if they were contacted by the subcontractor. It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys, lol.

It's scary. When the workforce fails, it brings down the industry with it (what industry we still have in this country). When industry fails, you have poverty. The mental attitude applies to other aspects as well....not just work ethics and skills. It seems to apply to our entire mindset. Home life, politics, education, and moral values all seem to reflect laziness and lack of responsibility in general. I don't think it will be long before there is a change. Other countries are competing fiercely, while we sit back and pick our rear ends. I hope the coming change is for the better.

Old 03-07-06, 12:26 AM
used to be in the rental buss. it was a pain for that very reason...when they are late...you didnt even know they were alive.....but when they were on time...every pipe leaked, this window needed fixed or that...try to toss em out...might as well wait 6 months and plan on spending another month fixing it back up after they move out..the courts are a joke...but i guess that is how it goes..

the middle class in this country is really getting pinned down...you have to work a ton of hours..or a ton of jobs to get anywhere...then you have no time to do anything...and this all leads back to the pay scale dropping..due to ppl not doing their jobs!

Old 03-07-06, 02:49 PM
We have all the good employees here, that is why there is none for anyone else. Everyone here shows up on time, ready to work, runs calls as dispatched, cares for patients, writes competent reports, maintains equipment, completes training, and manages to get along most of the time. We are staffed at 60 percent or so, needing a few more to round out the team. We are in an incredibly rural part of the state.

Old 03-09-06, 10:46 AM
i can vouch that there's definitely a void of CAB DRIVERS who transport people safely & comfortably!!!! their solitary goal is simply "get there FAST". that's it.

Old 03-11-06, 08:15 PM
Heh heh, I'm guessing you have not experienced the joy of "New York NASCAR", where the cabs race between lights, lanes and pedestrians to get there first (wherever "there" exactly is). You would probably jump outta your shoes in that mess.

Old 03-12-06, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
We've also found it's harder to get tenants into our rental units who are going to pay their rent on time and live within the rules of the lease. Our society is seeing the percentage of people with no self responsibility rise quickly.
That's the #1 reason the wife and I sold off our rentals. When I grew up evryone I knew just about rented and their parents took care of the place because that was their home. Now the attitude is "It aint mine". Now granted all my rentals were low income but I kept them up nice. When a tenant moved in the house was always freshly painted with clean carpet. At Christmas every year we would send a card to the tenants with $100 dollar bill in it, at Thanksgiving and Easter I gave out $25 dollar Kroger cards every year, yet they would still trash the place, not pay rent and leave the place trashed when they move out.

But back to the meaning of the thread. What is up and coming is what they called generation x back in the 80's. I was a part of it and I see the results. Guys I grew up with now 40 years old still living with their parents and can't hold a job cause they think it's still 1985 and they shouldn't have to do anything. Another problem is there is no employer dedication anymore. No matter how dedicated and hardworking a person is these days employers slash benifits and lay people off to compete with each other and other countries. The result is now the mentality goes. "Why should I give 110% when I'll just get layed off in a few years.

Old 03-17-06, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hear that! A factory in my town closed down with no warning. One day, it was business as usual. The next day, people came to work and were turned away at the doors, being told that they no longer had jobs and the factory was closed. This has happened a lot around here. There were people there who had dedicated a large part of their working life to them with retirement close at hand, and lost it all and were back in the unemployment line with skills that were too specialized to land them a decent job elsewhwere in the community. There are companies who won't let employees put in enough hours to allow them to collect benefits (keeping them just low enough that they still qualify as part time). There are companies laying off employees just before time for retirement. There are companies that overlook the deserving employee for the ethnically-correct employee to obtain advancement.

This kind of behavior has got to be discouraging for employees. They have to wonder "is this going to happen to me?". I know I would, BUT, I wouldn't be a slacker because of it. I do think that crappy employers are partly to blame for crappy employees though. A good employee deserves appreciation, not rejection.