cab drivers

Old 03-08-06, 12:04 PM
cab drivers

hubby and i just went to Vegas for the weekend. we had to take taxis on several occasions, when the shuttles and/or buses weren't available. my question is: why do they drive like such maniacs??? i mean, i understand that for them to make as much money as possible, they have to get you to where you're going as fast as possible, so they can dump you off & pick up the next guy and do the same thing to him. BUT - it's a service we're paying for. is there NO ROOM WHATSOEVER for a little consideration on their part? is it out of the question for them to be the least bit concerned for our SAFETY? or has it ever entered their mind that maybe, just maybe, they're making the passenger (ie "me") incredibly sick to their stomach with all the sudden starts & stops & quick braking & zigzagging??

i was so furious with my husband for continuing to TIP these animals! why was he tipping them? it's their JOB to drive us from Point A to Point B, which we paid for. but we didn't tell them upfront to "get us there as fast as humanly possible". so why reward them for a frightening & uncomfortable ride? i was actually hoping to reward a couple of them all over with my own personal "tip" but my nausea never quite progressed to that point, although i kind of wished it had!!!

i swear that the next time i have to take a cab somewhere, i'm going to say "i need to go to Point B, and your tip will be based on how pleasant & comfortable the ride is for me. i get carsick very easily, so please drive like you've got your wife, newborn baby and 100 year old grandmother with a broken hip sitting in the backseat." think they'd actually drive nice then?? or would i be guaranteeing a ride that would end with me hurling?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 01:12 PM
Have you ever taken a taxi in Mexico? I have no idea how there isn't 100 deaths per hour down there. They take it to the extreme. I never have taken a taxi in Vegas. I like to walk everywhere there. So, if I see something I didn't expect, I can always go check it out without having to tell him to stop....I think he would do just that...stop without warning!

Old 03-08-06, 01:21 PM
taxi in Mexico?

actually, yes i have. same deal! near death experience. unbelievable that there aren't more accidents, injuries, deaths, and lawsuits! what's so ridiculous about it is that they don't really end up getting you there any faster than the speed-limit driving guy. they just get you to the red lights faster! and sicker......

Old 03-08-06, 01:27 PM
I think I had that same driver a few years ago. Kept mumbling something about getting to Florsheim before it closed.

Old 03-08-06, 01:27 PM
When my wife and I was down there, it was one lane going each way. The cab drivers would use the other lane to pass....no big deal. UNLESS THERE'S A HUGE FRICKIN' TRUCK HEADED YOUR WAY! If there was someone already in that lane, they would use the shoulder to pass and nearly run off into the grass/weeds/dirt...whatever. I don't even want to start thinking about those scooters you can rent being on the highways down there.

Old 03-08-06, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
I had a job driving an airport shuttle bus many years ago. Before that job, I didn't think much about cab drivers, afterward, I didn't think much of them.

Old 03-09-06, 06:32 AM
did YOU drive like a maniac?

Old 03-09-06, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
If I had passengers in my van, the goal was to give as smooth a ride as possible. Empty, I did drive a little harder.

Old 03-09-06, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Hey majak, you got that one past Annette.

Old 03-10-06, 10:16 AM
yeah, yeah....i saw it.........i chose to IGNORE it!!! besides, i wouldn't be caught dead in a Florsheim shoe store!!! puleeeeze!!!!

Old 03-10-06, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator

Ah-HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Old 03-10-06, 11:30 AM
law suit? in mexico?....thats like a double negative already...they wouldnt care..what would you sue them for and what would you get?? nothing

Old 03-11-06, 01:16 PM
What does it take to get a cab drivers license???

I think all you need is a face

Search this Thread