freebie work for the church

Old 03-10-06, 11:35 AM
Thumbs up freebie work for the church

loading up the rotary and some supplies heading on down later on tonight and going to clean up old 6x6 vct/asbesto tiles...they are sealed so no danger there...

been kinda thinking about it..lots of ppl have been doing work around the church like putting up walls in the classrooms and such..but my area is flooring so i kinda felt left out..plus alot of ppl look at me and think..yeahs theres the mim wage janitor there..they dont see me taking out a stain in someones 10k carpet or shining their retail store up before their inspection to save their jobs...

not doing it to shut them up..but i little appreciation for the skill would be nice

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-06, 12:51 PM
Docduck, forgive me if i'm missing the point but here's how I see it. Hard work and honesty are the badge of character. Most reasonable people do care about what others may think, but in the big picture is really that important. Myself, I do care, but my main focus is knowing those closest to me know how I operate!

Old 03-10-06, 12:55 PM
yes i understand that..and see your point..my thing is that sometimes it is nice for others who dont know you to appreciate it...like if you go out to dinner and you thank the place for great food...instead of leaving no tip

Old 03-10-06, 01:06 PM
When you figure out how thats done, bottle it and sell the product. You'll be rich beyond your dreams. And the no tip statement, whow! (although I agree) is a whole other topic!

Old 03-10-06, 08:42 PM
I have no idea how jobs are valued. I think so many people have amazing talents but don't get paid for them. Sometimes its just market conditions that drive the compensation.

Ten years ago the techs in my industry were making 40k year and they were a dime a dozen. The business guys were making more of course because of all our special talents. The techs were our "janitors". Suddenly the world needed more data techs and the EXACT same guys are making 100-200k. Same skills, just more demand. My only ***** is that I left the tech side and went to the bus side .

Where I live, plumbers are becoming rich and I mean rich. Thanks to oil patch construction theres not enough of them. My friend is making 200k a year as a plumber. He's become a project manager. Ten years ago he was on unemployment 4 - 6 months a year so some people said he was a bum.

Only a really naive person does not realize every job has its skills. Its primarily demand that determines pay. I was always just thankful some of the "janitors" I knew never wanted my job. Most people are smart enough to understand this.

Hope I'm not off-topic.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-10-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Docduck
loading up the rotary and some supplies heading on down later on tonight and going to clean up old 6x6 vct/asbesto tiles...they are sealed so no danger there...

been kinda thinking about it..lots of ppl have been doing work around the church like putting up walls in the classrooms and such..but my area is flooring so i kinda felt left out..plus alot of ppl look at me and think..yeahs theres the mim wage janitor there..they dont see me taking out a stain in someones 10k carpet or shining their retail store up before their inspection to save their jobs...

not doing it to shut them up..but i little appreciation for the skill would be nice
Here's a perfect way to look at it....
Matthew 6:1-4

Don't worry what others say (or don't)

If you're gonna help a church....I'm gonna help by quoting the Bible to answer.

Old 03-12-06, 05:04 AM
Don't let these people get you down. In a church especially the way it should be is this. The floor guy is just as important as the preacher, the hvac guy is just as important as the song leader on and on. There should be no big I's or little you's in a church. If there is, and these people are treating you like you're under them I think it's time to find another church. People that view there job as superior to yours are putting there pants on one leg at a time just like you. I tell all my employees to dress their best and look their best all the time and it will make them feel a lot better about themselves and it truly does. At the same time I get quality work out of them becase they feel better about themselves and people notice how they look and then they notice the great work they do. If I send a maintenance tech up to a CEO's office, that CEO is going to have a trust and respect for the maintenance guy with the clean uniform, polished boots and orginized tools. If a tech goes up with dirty clothes and simply unkempt that CEO is going to be calling me and turning me inside out.

If you look your best and do your "job" as a professional it wont take long for others to view it that way. I have a lot more respect for my janitor that looks great and takes pride in his work than a so called lead tech that looks like crap and hacks his way through the job.

To add Doc, a good floor guy in my eyes is worth his weight in gold.

Search this Thread