Share your ink...[and/or sports predictions!!!]

Old 03-14-06, 08:36 AM
cambece
Visiting Guest
Wink Share your ink...[and/or sports predictions!!!]

Lets all share what we have (if you have any)

Cambece

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 01:32 PM
i can't see your pics (employer has site blocked ), what are they?

since no one else seems to be willing or able to share their pics (and i myself have none, sorry!), i'll start a chat with some things i've been wondering about for a while now:

as a non-tattooed gal, here are some questions for all you "inked" folks:

1. why is it that most tattoos are that same dark blue color, and all the lines have bled out & become fuzzy? i would guess that they started out all crisply done & colorful, and then became that way after time? so why do they do that?

2. and knowing that they'll eventually look that way, why would anyone get one in the first place?

3. and are any of you sexy young girls with the lower back tattoos (and others) concerned with what you're going to look like when you're grandmothers?

4. also, tattoos are like decorations for the body, right? and as an interior decorator, i'm more than aware that styles, tastes, trends & personal preferences always CHANGE after a while, so how can anyone commit FOREVER to any one design, word, phrase, or image for their tattoo? isn't anyone worried that they'll get sick of what they've chosen?? because i could never imagine a design that i'd want & love now, that i'd still love in 50 years. i mean, Tweety Bird might be cute now, when you're 21, but do you really want to make a commitment for the rest of your life to the image of a yellow cartoon bird? most people i know can't decide on a sofa because they're afraid they won't still love it in 5 years!

thanks for any replies!

Old 03-21-06, 10:11 PM
None on me but I'd love one. Just can't think of what wouldn't look ridiculous on someone my age. Need a theme you can keep.

Couple friends got them in the last while, theme things like Ironman Triathalon emblem. Looks OK. ONe friend had Tanzamania devil lifting weights on his back. Now he doesn't lift weight anymore and it looks bad.

Kid next door, owned a VW rabbit when he was 16. Tattooed a rabbit on his arm and sold the VW a few weeks later. He doesn't care, still shows it off.

Go to the beach and I'm guessing 80% of kids under 25 have one somewhere. Seems most kids get decent ones they can live with.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-21-06 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 06:10 AM
cambece
Visiting Guest
The first one is a green teddy bear with "love me" on his belly holding a broken arrow (he is green with envy, and he is on my arm) the other is a little demon that covers the side of my leg, its done in grayscale, that was my first tattoo. As for your questions, i try to get my ink to be done as crisp as possible and to hold integraty, if at first it looks bad its only going to get worse. my leg peice looks awesome, but my arm im going to have to fix/change in a little while, dont get me wrong i love the little guy, but the artist didnt do a very good job, luckly it is small and i can probly make something rediculous from it...I dont know why i get inked, i do it when i am sad and it makes me feel better, but both pieces mean things to me and i am happy that i got them.

Cambece

Old 03-23-06, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by cambece
...the artist didnt do a very good job...
see? this is what i don't understand. he didn't do a good job on a TEDDY BEAR?? how good of an artist do you have to be to draw a simple teddy bear well?? had you seen any of this guy's work prior to letting him permanently tattoo on your body? did you have him do a sketch on paper first? did it look good then? he's a professional tattoo artist, and he didn't do a very good job....... then again, even if his paper sketch looked good, you're not guaranteed how it will actually look tattooed on your skin. i think that's just taking too big of a risk! that's putting too much trust in someone else, usually a stranger, who could let you down, like your guy did you. you say you "love the little guy" but it doesn't sound to me like you do. it sounds to me like every time you look at it, you think to yourself, "that stupid guy.....i can't believe he did such a lousy job........maybe someday i can find a different guy and have it fixed to look better...". you say you did it when you were sad & it made you feel better.........really??? having it come out "not very well" made you feel better? be honest. are you proud of it or embarrassed by it's lack of quality?

i enjoy watching the TLC show "Miami Ink", and on one episode, the shop owner tattooed a word onto a guy's arm, which the guy had written down, but the word was in another language, and the customer had misspelled it! so it wasn't the artist's fault, but good grief! he was able to fix it somehow, but i watched that whole epidose with my mouth just hanging open! this is PERMANENT people!!!

i truly want to understand people who get tattoos, because there are so many of them, and it's been done for so long, but i still don't get it. maybe i've seen too many men with women's names & faces on their arms....and they're not their CURRENT wives' names or faces!!! and i've still yet to see any tattoos that i think are good looking enough to have permanantly drawn onto a body, and they all seem blurry & blue to me. some are impressive works of art (like the fresh ones on Miami Ink), and i can appreciate that aspect of it, but i still think they'd be better off drawn on paper, framed, and hung on the wall, where they can be moved or changed out if need be.

mjd2k: you'd love one? LOVE? why? where would you put it? you don't even know "what" you'd get, but you'd love one - so that means there's a place on your body that you think "needs" a little something? where is that? or do you just feel left out? and just how old are you??

Old 03-23-06, 11:29 AM
I sit on the fence on this one, but I do have a opinion. Back in the day tattoos symbolized one thing or another and actually held (in my mind) some type of shock value. In current the day it's so watered down it's boring and well over done. To each there own, but I say a higher percentage of people don't get the "WHY" than "WHY NOT"

Old 03-23-06, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I was young I admired tattos but fortunately I was too young to get one. By the time I came of age I no longer had the desire to get one. They are permament and a body should think long and hard before getting one.

Old 03-23-06, 12:02 PM
i know they're the "thing" now. very edgey & fashionable to have - right now. and "everyone's" getting them, especially young girls & all the celebrities. but growing up, from what i observed in my little "world", it was not classy to have them, especially for women. and i just can't get out of that mindset. so now when i see these young people & celebs with them, men AND women, but especially the gals, i just cringe & feel sad & wonder what the heck they're thinking. at least with all the piercings that are also popular now, you can remove them & let the hole grow closed. removing a tattoo, i believe, is extremely expensive & painful, if at all possible.

but, to each his own. i'm sure everyone's opinion on them mostly depends on their immediate circle of friends & family. if you grew up with a mom & dad who both had them, or most of your friends have them, you probably think they're just the normal thing to do & have, and have them yourself. and you probably think i'm a boring, goodie two shoes! speaking of SHOES.......!!

i'd still be interested in hearing what tattoos others have gotten (and where) and why - what the meaning behind them is/was.....especially how they looked new vs. how they look now! does ANYONE have an old one that's still crisp & colorful??

Last edited by Annette; 03-23-06 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 02:29 PM
I have a small "P" on my middle finger that I did myself w/ink and a needle in high school..that was 13 years ago or so. Does this count? Reason: I was in love with a guy named Paul...thank God I didn't ink his whole name! Stupid? Yes. Honestly...guess what? I did it b/c my friend was doing the same thing and every time she'd have a nother boyfriend, she'd modify the letter to that guy's name. Funny as it may sound...the next letter actually worked. I'm curious to know what it is now, but I haven't talked to her since. I didn't modify or change mine...it's still there. If I close my fingers together you can't see it. I liked the pain of the needle too...got addicted to it-that's why I was able to do it by myself. I think I had a lot of anger and hatred in my teens so I didn't really care. And get this...I did it during class time. Who really wants to be "classy"? I don't think a lot of girls look for that image...I think they want the "cool" thing, not classy. Even at my age now, I'm not looking to be classy, but cool. Classy isn't bad...it's just not what's out there anymore...I guess. I don't really know. Anyway, I learned my lesson and don't like pain anymore.

Old 03-23-06, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
. and you probably think i'm a boring, goodie two shoes! speaking of SHOES.......!!

We just can't get away from that shoe obsession can we

Old 03-23-06, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Nice slam, Mark!!!

Personally I rate tattoos right up there with body piercings as two of the top ten stupidest things to do with (to) your body. Some of the smaller, more tastefully done tattoos are actually not too bad, but the vast majority merely make the owners look like circus sideshow freaks. Thankfully my down-to-earth 17 year old daughter is interested in neither (or any guys WITH either). My apologies in advance for anyone I'm offending.

Old 03-24-06, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
We just can't get away from that shoe obsession can we
"One shoe can CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!" ~ Cinderella

need i say more??? i think not.

Old 03-24-06, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
"One shoe can CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!" ~ Cinderella

need i say more??? i think not.

Annette, I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but Cinderella wasn't real.

Old 03-25-06, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Well, okay, Mitch, but you gotta agree Dorothy would never have gotten back to Kansas without a good pair of shoes!

[TG answering for Annette by proxy].

Old 03-25-06, 10:09 PM
I'd throw away any pair of shoes that landed me back in Kansas....

Old 03-26-06, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Rapture
I'd throw away any pair of shoes that landed me back in Kansas....
Gotta go with rapture on this one!

Old 03-26-06, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Anybody who would root for Nebraska shouldn't throw stones [aren't they overdue for another bowl-game butt-whipping by Florida State or Miami in '07 or '08].

Old 03-26-06, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Anybody who would root for Nebraska shouldn't throw stones [aren't they overdue for another bowl-game butt-whipping by Florida State or Miami in '07 or '08].
Okay....now it's on! '94...beat Miami for the National title, '95 beat...no, DESTROYED Florida for the National title. Only played Miami once since (and lost, yes). FSU..meh, cool (but annoying) chant. I can't root for any team from Florida...pro, college, 1-AA, High School...whatever is left.

Old 03-27-06, 04:11 AM
Group Moderator
Guess you won't be watching the Final Four, huh?

And you left out a few games:

2001 Rose Miami FL L 14-37
1993 Orange Florida State L 16-18
1992 Orange Florida State L 14-27
1991 Orange Miami FL L 0-22
1989 Fiesta Florida State L 17-41
1988 Orange Miami FL L 3-23
1987 Fiesta Florida State L 28-31
1983 Orange Miami FL L 30-31

Old 03-27-06, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Whoa, tow guy! Way too many scores there going back way too many years - it's time to start getting out of the house once in a while!

Last edited by stickshift; 03-27-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 02:12 PM
Tow Guy only had to go back twenty three years for those eight scores.

Old 03-28-06, 12:25 PM
Hmmmmm, has Nebraska appeared in the top ten in the last five years Rapture needs to stop living in the past, if he applied the same logic to his tool buying it would be hand saws and hammers only.

Florida, Florida State, and Miami will each be ranked higher than Nebraska at the end of the next 3 seasons. UCF may even be ranked above them.

DWC

Old 03-28-06, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by dwcurry
UCF may even be ranked above them.

DWC
My prediction stands!

Old 03-28-06, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Could have been worse I suppose guys; he could be a Georgia fan!

Old 03-28-06, 09:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with being Cornhusker fan...some of the best, nicest and most loyal fans anywhere. The sellout record isn't just a coincidence. First game next year is at USC That should be fun!

Old 03-28-06, 09:47 PM
For the record...I didn't make a tattoo thread into a football discussion. *cough* tow guy*cough*

Old 03-28-06, 10:00 PM
For the record...I didn't make a tattoo thread into a football discussion. *cough* tow guy*cough*
Someone might be offended but I'm sure nobody would have minded if this had turned into a hockey discussion........

Old 03-28-06, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Someone might be offended but I'm sure nobody would have minded if this had turned into a hockey discussion........
That's the sport on ice where people fight, fight more...Boxing with a puck

Old 03-29-06, 04:25 AM
Aint hockey "Redneck Golf" ??

Old 03-29-06, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Well, we were talking about sports, mjd2k.

Isn't the sports discussion more interesting? The body art posts seemed to peter out.

Anyone making predictions in the Final Four? I'm thinking LSU & Florida in the final for an all-SEC finish. And I predict an overtime victory by.......LSU [as much as I would like to say Florida].

Old 03-29-06, 05:32 AM
Rodney Dangerfield once went to a fight and a hockey game broke out .

LSU and Florida in the final. Florida has beaten LSU twice, as much as 11 points each time. I'm going with Florida.

Old 03-29-06, 05:43 AM
I knew abuse was coming just setting you guys up to pound away........
Not many down there appreciate the perfect sport.

Old 03-29-06, 09:28 AM
Isn't the sports discussion more interesting? The body art posts seemed to peter out.
Thread title has been changed......

Old 03-29-06, 09:32 AM
I knew abuse was coming just setting you guys up to pound away........
Not many down there appreciate the perfect sport.
I can appreciate hockey live...not so much on tv though. I haven't really been following college basketball enough to know anything about what's going. My wife comes home, tells me how her bracket is doing...that's it for basketball. We check out the Jazz every now and then. The new arena football team, the Blaze is pretty cool too. Went to the home opener and I got to say...it was really cool. Utah fans don't know much about how to cheer anything other than basketball....pretty lame. A guy told my wife and me to stop all the jumping and standing during a football game. Are you kidding me??? I told him there was pretty much no chance of me sitting down for the game...he took his son and left.

Old 03-29-06, 10:40 AM
I enjoy Hockey during the Olympic games, but not the NHL. When I watch a game I like to think that it has significance at the time. With the 50++++ game schedules of Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball, a game is just not as significant as a game of Football.

Go Dolphins - 17-0 in '72 (Now who is living in the past?)

DWC

Old 03-29-06, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by dwcurry
I enjoy Hockey during the Olympic games, but not the NHL. When I watch a game I like to think that it has significance at the time. With the 50++++ game schedules of Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball, a game is just not as significant as a game of Football.

Go Dolphins - 17-0 in '72 (Now who is living in the past?)

DWC
No argument here. Baseball/hockey games don't mean much until the end.

Hockey playoffs are a whole other season. They're exciting. I live for those. Problem is we sit inside watching the games on the nicest nights of the year. I've been in the same playoff draft for 15 years. Loser buys beer for next draft. No one remembers who won but we all know who lost and how many times.

I think for most Americans watching hockey is like me watching soccer.

Been to a couple SeaHawks games and they were fun. Sonics game got a little boring after awhile but great atmosphere. Went to a couple mariner games. Really enjoyed those. Never been so relaxed at a sporting event. Great way to spend the day.

Most people up here are NFL fanatics.

Rapture, my kid and I thought you and your wife were jumping at all the wrong times so we left.

Old 03-29-06, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Hockey and soccer have a lot in common; for instance in both sports the score is always 0-0, 1-0, or 1-1. [Sorry, can't take credit for that one and the line was actually only about soccer]

'72 Dolphins, WOO-HOO!!!

The only pro sport I watch is football for a lot of the same reasons; the other pro sports play 6 months to eliminate two teams from their playoffs. Also NFL players have cooler shoes [threw that in for Annette]. My real passion is college hoops with UNC & Duke as my favorites [watch out for Carolina next year]. Waiting now to see if the women's final will be Duke vs UNC [although I rarely watch the women's hoops].

Old 03-30-06, 05:05 AM
Rapture, my kid and I thought you and your wife were jumping at all the wrong times so we left.
You crazy Canadians

Oh yeah...I've been to a Salt Lake Real Major League Soccer game. I love soccer. I'm getting excited for some World Cup games.

Old 03-30-06, 04:53 PM
Well, we were talking about sports, mjd2k.

Anyone making predictions in the Final Four? I'm thinking LSU & Florida in the final for an all-SEC finish. And I predict an overtime victory by.......LSU [as much as I would like to say Florida].
I'm jumping on the George Mason bandwagon. It would be hard to bet against them. I'm just happy all the Big East teams got knocked out. LSU is looking very good, but then there's that Cinderella team that refuses to go away...go patriots!

Old 03-31-06, 07:20 AM
OMG!! i LOVE Cinderella's shoes, too!!! so sparkly! and since they're clear, they go with everything!!!!