Why is a Boiler called a Boiler ?

Old 03-19-06, 01:16 PM
Why is a Boiler called a Boiler ?

If it exceeded 212 F what a Mess.
It needs a new name.

And a Hot water heater isnt a Hot Water Heater.
Its a cold water Heater...or Water Heater.

Im just a handyman that thinks too much.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-06, 03:00 PM
many "boilers" can heat water beyond 212 and not boil....pressure raises the "boiling point"

take a car rad for instance...one running at 15 pounds pressure will not "boil" untill around 250 F

on the other end of things...if you were on top of mount everest (29000) feet high...and you made tea..it would only be luke warm....your tea pot would boil away into nothing at about 157 F (luke warm tea) due to the lower pressure up there

i know it's not an answer...just a couple of things to think on (you said you have lots of time..lol)

Old 03-19-06, 04:14 PM
Who
In the beginning there was steam heat. The boilers boiled, the steam rose, the rads heated and the people were happy. Later some Canucks figured out that if you size the pipes just right on a 2 or 3 storey home you can get the water to rise to the top of the house and heat it on the way down. Now we just use circs to take nearly all of the magic out of the calculations and use really skinny piping. We no longer install the boilers that can make steam in new residential applications. But there still are lots of steam systems out there. They were engineered to last more than a lifetime.

Old 03-19-06, 05:17 PM
Who Knew !

Thanks for the History.
So when I see those radiators in the old homes,,, I will think of the history.

and Bille - You are a stinking Genius. I had no idea boiling points for H2O varried.

So does H2O always freeze at 32F Ive won a few bets on this one when talking about chill factors.

Old 03-19-06, 06:44 PM
im gonna guess here on freezing...pure water freezes at 32...but adding things like salt or antifreeze can change that ?

Old 03-20-06, 04:04 AM
Group Moderator
Yep. Salt water freezes at a lower temperature and of course the reason we run anit-freeze in vehciles is to lower the freezing point (by a considerable amount).

Search this Thread