children & no seatbelts?!?!

Old 04-03-06, 11:03 AM
children & no seatbelts?!?!

anyone else shocked, amazed or horrified by how many children you see in cars NOT buckled up?

the worst is seeing the parents with their seatbelts on, but the kids are crawling all over the place unrestrained & unprotected.

are your kids buckled up?

no? why not? because you didn't wear one when you were growing up and you always made it there okay? well, no one thought asbestos was dangerous back then, either. times have changed. some things didn't seem like a big deal back then. but nowadays, we know better.

is it because you think you're a good driver? that may be so, but what about the racing teenager coming up over the hill in your lane? or the drunk driver who just ran the red light? the best drivers in the world are no match for these drivers. it's the unexpected that you must prepare for.

if your child is over 40 lbs and under 4'9", they should be using a booster seat. it helps the safety belt fit correctly and, if you're in a crash, it reduces the risk of serious injury by 59%.

children between 20-40 lbs should be in a forward-facing child safety seat or convertible child safety seat once they are more than 1 year old.

imagine you're in an accident with your unbelted child in the car. imagine they're injured - or worse - how could you ever live with yourself? why gamble with your children's lives? shouldn't we do everything we can to protect our children? buckling up is so easy - not to mention it's the law. why not just do it?

set a good example, and buckle up yourself. don't move the car an inch until everyone else is buckled up, too.

==============================================

Credits: Recommendations are from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. www.boosterseat.gov

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-06, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
well, no one thought asbestos was dangerous back then, ]

Actually at one time asbestos was thought of as a good thing. I personally sprayed asbestos based popcorn on several grade school ceilings per fire marshalls instructions.

I hate to admit that I never had a car seat for my sons. When they were little I used to buckle them up together in the same seat of my work van [on the way to daycare] Part ignorance and part lack of time to buy car seats, ofcourse it wasn't against the law back then either.

I have a grandson [soon to be 6 yr] that we would never consider taking him somewhere with out his seat - he probably wouldn't let us anyway.

If not mistaken, I believe there are programs out there to supply car seats to those that can't afford them. There are few cars left on the road that don't have seatbelts so there is no good reason for anyone not to have their childern safely buckled up. If you know anyone that doesn't secure their kids when driving PLEASE ENCOURAGE THEM TO DO SO.

Old 04-03-06, 03:34 PM
I completely agree. How can I drive 85 mph with a lil' tike crawling on my shoulder

Just kiddin'. I can't stand seeing small kids without their belts on. Like you said, you can't trust anyone else driving. The bad thing is the parent is usually talking on a cell phone not paying any attention to the road or kids. Yep...another pet peeve...using your car as a phone booth. Is it really that important you can't wait??? Ford should make a car with a taxi-like sign you put on your car. When you're on the phone, flip the light on. So when you are swerving all over the lines, I can just smile and say "Oh, dumbass is on the phone. That explains it. Hey, was that a kid that just fell out the window?".

Old 04-03-06, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Haven't we had this discussion before?

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=236691

Old 04-03-06, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mitch17
Haven't we had this discussion befor

Looks like we have Never hurts to remind those who don't think to make sure the little ones are secure.

I just remembered a news story near here about a year ago. Head on collision on the hwy, 3 adults and 1 small child, all adults were killed [no seatbelts] but the baby [just a few months old] was examined and released, unharmed, saved by being properly restrained.

Old 04-04-06, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Rapture
. Yep...another pet peeve...using your car as a phone booth. ".
I'm guilty......I sometimes answer, but seldom initiate. I often pull over cause I'm not smart enough to drive and cell.

Everyone using a cell while driving, drives like an idiot (including me). Anyone that argues theres no problem is joking. I had every device known, blackberry, headsets, voice dial, handsfree, GPS, bluetooth but its distracting. My friend drives a standard, takes calls and makes notes in downtown Vancouver. Thats scary.

When someone is weaving, going 50k in a 100k, or stopped for no reason, 9/10 times, its because they are on the cell. Guys or Gals.

I'd support a no-cell-while-driving law. If anything, make bluetooth and voice-dial mandatory in the car.

Ahhhh that feels better.........

Old 04-04-06, 06:25 AM
Here's a two-fer for ya
After the young tyke was placed in the back of the large SUV, I asked the mom, "Aren't you going to buckle him in?"
"Ha!" she says, "That why I bought this big truck with all the air-bags, he's safe enough back there"

No seatbelts for Jr. and thinking that trucks are safer than cars

Never mind that truck based "Sport-Utes" are 30 times (that's times, not percent, 30 times) more likely to roll-over than a car, you are up to 60 times (again, times, not a percent) more likely to die in a rollover of one of those vehicles as opposed to a car

And still the #1 reason given by women for the purchase of a Sport-Ute is "safety"

Old 04-04-06, 07:49 AM
suvs are a cause of increase gas prices...suvs eat more gas= higher demand=higher pump prices

Old 04-04-06, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Docduck
suvs are a cause of increase gas prices...suvs eat more gas= higher demand=higher pump prices

Maybe so but a small percentage of us SUV owners have to have them. Where I live you would never get up and down the driveway without 4 wheel drive when there is snow. I do like the way you sit in a 4x4, better vision but mostly easier on my back.

Old 04-04-06, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
"That why I bought this big truck with all the air-bags, he's safe enough back there"
wow. unbelievable.

Originally Posted by mitch17
Haven't we had this discussion before?
sorry, Mitch - i'd forgotten all about about my previous thread - but i just happened upon that boosterseat.gov website and thought the asbestos/seatbelt reasoning was pretty clever.

on my way home last night, i saw a guy in an open-top Jeep Wrangler with his belt strapped on tight, and a little girl in the passenger seat apparently unrestrained. so i caught his attention & pointed to my seat belt and then to the girl. he nodded & mouthed "yes, she's got hers on" and then pulled up the lap part of her belt to show me she did have it on. but the shoulder part that should've gone over the front of her was behind her. i guess he figured the lap part was "good enough". just like the lady thinking the airbags were enough. more roulette with children's lives.

Old 04-04-06, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=Annette. but the shoulder part that should've gone over the front of her was behind her. i guess he figured the lap part was "good enough". [/QUOTE]

Sadly it isn't always feasable to use the shoulder belt with children. It is no problem with a regular car seat but with the booster seats some vehichles will set the shoulder belt across their face. I often pick up my grandson at school. If I'm stuck with his booster seat I'm forced to put the shoulder belt behind him. Not a problem with his old car seat or my wife's car.

Old 04-04-06, 09:30 AM
she was about 13. old enough & big enough for the shoulder strap. but she liked to bend all the way forward to get out of the wind, and the strap probably kept her from doing that.