DIY motivation

Old 04-04-06, 09:07 AM
DIY motivation

I've been having a major lack of DIY motivation! As u can see, I am logged in as DIYADDICT and if I don't get off my lazy butt, I need to change my name How does one start getting motivated??? Back in Oct '05 or so I was painting crazy and doing my floors. I have completed the living room, dining room, 2 bdrms and the hallway...what's left is my master bedroom. I was up @ 4:30 am working on the house 'til 6am, left for work, got home @ 7pm and worked away on the house again 'til about 8pm...every single day and I loved it. I got the flu for a week in December...stopped working on the house and never got back off my lazy butt. I'm not sure if it's really laziness, but everytime I peak into that room, I just walk away and think..."ahhhh...tomorrow" but that never happens. I have been sleeping on the floor in my son's room and have gotten too comfortable there. Have u guys ever felt this way? Any suggestions? U can yell at me if you want...maybe it would help!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 06-15-06 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is easy to get lazy when you are old and tired [me not you] Getting started on a project always seems to energize me, especially when I make progress. I think once you get started you'll be back on a roll.

Old 04-04-06, 09:38 AM
I know what you mean. I am in a similar slump myself motivation wise. I have a couple things going that don't need my personal supervision at the moment but there is always something to do. I have plenty of work to do this spring that I will need to be on site for most of. For as many years as I have been doing this kind of work I still hate to get up early. I like to stay up till about 4am and sleep till noon. Not exactually contractors hours lol. Far as I'm concerned if you want to take a break for a while and it's not costing money or people having to live in a construction site too long, go for it. If something needs to get done set a time that you will work on it and stick to it even if you don't feel like it. Where I still get satisfaction on seeing a job well done. The fun of working with power tools etc. lost it's appeal years ago. Work is work!

Old 04-04-06, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Everybody goes through this. It could just be seasonal, could be that you need a break, could be something more serious like depression. Keep and eye on things and keep us in the loop - motivation is part of why we're all here.

Old 04-04-06, 12:10 PM
So I'm thinking laziness, taking a break, etc...those things r the norm and ok and may be easy to get out of or overcome. I'm glad there are others like me! The depression may be an addition to no motivation. So how can one overcome a depression? I feel depressed but I seriously want to snap out this "feeling".

Hey marksr: so how old is too old? I'm 30 and I feel old...and tired...and lazy.

Old 04-04-06, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by DIYADDICT
I have been sleeping on the floor in my son's room and have gotten too comfortable there.
wow - if you're seriously perfectly happy & comfortable sleeping on the FLOOR of your son's room - if THAT'S not motivation to finish YOUR room - i don't know what would be!!!! on second thought, since you don't require an adult bedroom of your own, you might as well make your new digs permanent and repurpose your old bedroom!

not really.

you've GOT to get out of your kid's room!!! that's not good, for either of you.

what's the problem with the project on your room? can't decide on a color to paint? can't find bedding? what's the hold up? i find that i'm most motivated when i've decided WHAT i want to do - when i've found bedding i love, or the perfect paint color, etc - then i'm ready to go at it. is the problem that you're overwhelmed by the room because you just don't have a clue or any sort of inspiration for it?

Old 04-04-06, 01:27 PM
im the same way comes and goes...i just take it as it comes..sometimes thou you have to kick urself in the butt and say ok get off of it and do something

it even goes as far as my work as well...every now and then ill get into a good project that takes serious hours or is difficult and then sometimes ill settle for the easy stuff

going to refinish a vct floor in a dr next week, for example, over 3k square of it..by my lonesome...but when im done and you look back accross that floor and see the door frames, lights, everything in the reflection and you know its by your own hand..your like MAN i love this

Old 04-04-06, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYADDICT
Hey marksr: so how old is too old? I'm 30 and I feel old...and tired...and lazy.

Age is relative, 35 yr ago I worked with some OLD men about 40yr old. Everytime you hit another decade old age seems to be further away. Wish I could refurbish/replace all my wore out parts but then Ponce De Leon didn't have any luck either

There is an old saying "your'e only as old as you feel" but hey I AIN'T THAT OLD

Old 04-04-06, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know the definition of old age, but I know you've hit middle age when the old people start complaining to you about the young people.

Old 04-04-06, 02:19 PM
shoot I have known some old rednecks in thier 60's can work me to death trying to keep up and still find time to yell all day. My great grandfather remained quite active well into his 80's before he got sick. I guess it's all in the mind. I agree though that starting something is the hardest part, gets better once your into it.

Old 04-04-06, 03:12 PM
Addict - At 30 you aren't old, I don't know if you're lazy, but you might just be bored. I'm in my 60s and I still put in a full day. Every now and then I'll get bored with a project and have to leave it for a while. It never fails that when I finally force myself to get back into it, it's just like starting anew.
I don't understand some guys that think just because you get a little gray that you can't cut it anymore. I may not be able to do some of the things I the same way I did them at 30, but I can sure do them smarter, safer and better.

Old 04-04-06, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
I may not be able to do some of the things I the same way I did them at 30, but I can sure do them smarter, safer and better.

I can do all the things I did at 30 [I think] trouble is it takes a whole heap longer

Old 04-04-06, 10:20 PM
For me, DIY motivation goes through three stages.

1 - starting the job doing something new or being creative or upgrading something...exciting!!
2- hit a slump when all I'm doing is working
3- start to get going again when things start taking shape. Hey, this is starting to look pretty good!!

I hit five-oh a couple weeks ago. Body can still go hard but I dont want to as much. Still like the 12-14 hour reno days but starting to realize theres more to life. Just love getting lots done and doing the big makeover thing.

Don't worry DIY, you 'll be going crazy in no time and wondering why you didn't enjoy your down-time more. Once you get your butt in gear, you won't be able to hold back.

Old 04-06-06, 04:07 PM
thanks for all the response.. Especially Annette! I cried a little, but I'm ok... Annette, the only thing in my son's room is another mattress and blankets for me to sleep in there. I have another bedroom that I've made into my personal closet so all my clothes, shoes (your favorite subject? j/k), makeup stuff, etc are in there.

Also, to make it clear... (I feel like I have to stand up for myself... ), I've been working mainly on the entire house as for the interior painting and floors. I have accomplished the living room, dining room, entry way, kitchen, 2 bdrms and 1 bath. Primed, painted, redone fixtures-and all those little here and theres...tore up carpet, tile and replaced with laminate wood flooring. Done this while trying to maintain being a single mom and working full time. I got drained! With all that being said...U R right that I need to get out of my son's room. I've got everything set - colors, flooring, etc. ready for that bedroom, it's just that knowing what I have to go through again (time and effort) gets me tired before even starting...BUT...thanks 2 u guys...I got on the ball and worked on the room a little last night and this morning. It's a start...again, and I've realized how much fun it is working with those tools again!