Why do it yourself?

Old 04-05-06, 03:08 PM
luB
Smile Why do it yourself?

I'm very curious...what makes a do-it-yourselfer want to do it themself? I'm trying to find explanations in the words of people who do this. Is it for fun? Did you work on projects with your family as a child? Is it to save on expense? Please feel free to share.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 03:29 PM
Some it is saving money, but for the most part it is the satisfaction of doing yourself, knowing that the right materials were used, and the work was done properly. It is a chance to express yourself in your work. I wonder what my landscaping would look like if someone else had done it. I enjoy being involved in what goes on; not much of a spectator in life.

Old 04-05-06, 04:20 PM
Are you writing a book on psychology or what?

Old 04-05-06, 05:05 PM
Why do it yourself?

If you enjoy it, your labor is "free" and you can afford to do a better job with better materials and have satisfaction.

Some people DIY and just try to find the cheapest materials (ala "big box") to do it just to code (at best) and be done with it. - That sounds like another disaster (not dissimilar to New Orleans) waiting to happen, but on a person level.

DIY can give you accomplishment.

Dick

Old 04-05-06, 07:28 PM
Lots of reasons. I get lots of satisfaction being able to get things done the way I want on my schedule. I learn new skills and get to add to my tool collection.
Getting ripped off just once by a crooked contractor is also a good motivator.

Old 04-06-06, 03:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Exclamation Solicitations & Surveys Not Allowed

Hello & Welcome luB to the diy web site & forums.

Your post was moved here, into "Chats & Whines" because it does not contain any beneficial information in the topic it was originally posted in.

Although questions are welcomed and your question is valid and has some merit, be aware the diy web site does not allow solicitations for information or surveys, etc.

Members in violation of the rules are subject to being banned from usage on the web site.

Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

http://forum.doityourself.com/announ...uncementid=113
http://forum.doityourself.com/announ...uncementid=114

Sincerely, Robert Horning.
Web Site Administrator.
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-06-06, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Saves time.
Saves $$$.
Gets the job done EXACTLY the way you want it done [and if not you can only blame yourself, LOL]
Personal satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Old 04-06-06, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A DIYer can get a lot of satisfaction from the work and learn new things in the process. As a TV commercial says, material - $, labor - $, braggin rights [done it myself] - priceless.

The woodwork in my master bed rm is hemlock that came from a tree I cut down on my property - it doesn't get any better than that

Old 04-06-06, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Ditto.

The one-of-a-kind rolltop computer desk I'm sitting at came out of my garage woodworking shop. [but I had to BUY the materials; the only abundant trees on property I own is pine ]

Old 04-06-06, 08:59 AM
Makes me feel like I'm a better person. If I had someone else do it I feel like I'm a lazy, good fer nothin' person. Keeps me my muscles stronger (depending on the job). It's at times fun and enjoyable. And like all others, definitely saves $$ and hassle w/other people. Trying to find the right person to do it is in you mirror!

Old 04-06-06, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYADDICT
Trying to find the right person to do it is in you mirror!

You said a mouthful there. When I was self employed, I was the best employee - only problem was the 'boss' was a slave driver

Old 04-06-06, 10:51 AM
I do it for a few reasons (can anyone guess 1 of them). The cost is a huge point. There are some things I just won't do. We just had new windows put in...that's one I won't do. For my wife and me, we think of it a personalizing our home. We can look at something and say that we did it...we appreciate it more. My wife also says I look sexy doing work

Buying more tools makes it fun too

Old 04-06-06, 10:53 AM
I do it because I just plain love it; in fact, I'm taking a week off to re-side the back of my house. It's also a nice break and very relaxing for me after all the stress at the office. And, as an architect, it really has helped me in my practice understand what can and can't be done, tolerances, etc.

I have literally saved thousands over the years. My wife and I have always bought houses that needed a lot of work, then fixed them up and sold them. When I only have to buy materials, most improvements will pay for themselves and then some.

Old 04-06-06, 12:01 PM
Bruce - You listed a reason that I forgot. IMO the most important! It's great stress relief. There is nothing more relaxing than getting home after a day of office BS and making sawdust, pounding nails or rolling paint.

Old 04-06-06, 12:10 PM
For me it was strictly financial. Only after I got started did I realize I was enjoying it.

Old 04-06-06, 10:21 PM
luB
wow, thanks everyone. that does make sense...i was having a discussion with my dad about this, and we just really got into it about what motivates people to do projects themselves. he is constantly doing projects, most of which go unfinished, and so i knew that getting them done wasn't his motivation.
anyway, thanks for your replies!

Old 04-10-06, 05:45 PM
Can't stand to pay money to someone to do things I can do. Basically, I would be working to make money for someone else. That bugs me unless its too technical or too menial, I would rather do it myself.

My tenants sometimes want to paint or do other renos. I tell them I'll do it for them cause I'll just whine that they didn't do it right. They think I'm joking but I'm serious. They probably don't have the right tools or experience. I even mow all the lawns because they just don't do it right.

Funny, so many say "to get the job done right". I try my best to do good work and everyone comments that I'm good, but I really like that it only has to be as good as "I" want it to be. If I want to cut a corner, thats my business.

I'm stressed out when I'm doing work for others. Try to be way too perfect.

I'm a learner and DIY is the best way to learn. You can afford to do a lot more when you do it yourself.

Its usually all about the finished product.

Old 04-13-06, 08:15 PM
luB
wow! you aren't alone...my landlord does our lawns and all of our home repairs himself also. i just thought he was trying to be nice, but maybe he has an alterior motive
just kidding. i bet your tenants love it though. i know we do.

Old 04-13-06, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by luB
wow! you aren't alone...my landlord does our lawns and all of our home repairs himself also. i just thought he was trying to be nice, but maybe he has an alterior motive
just kidding. i bet your tenants love it though. i know we do.
Hmmmmmmmm........ Maybe I'm your landlord....... I have good tenants and I hate turnover and I'm not a good delegator.

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-14-06 at 09:07 AM.