Cat in the yard

Old 04-13-06, 11:18 AM
Cat in the yard

Sorry, didn't know whether to put this in garden, lawn, pets, etc...so this is here...

I don't like nor hate cats, but there's this cat that kicks it in my backyard like she owns it or as if I'm her owner! Most times she sit comfortably on the furniture. Whenever I go out there, I forget she might be there so I get freaked out when I open the door and something (the cat) jumps or runs away. Last night I went out and she ran, I got scared...stayed outside...I thought she left but then suddenly I hear something hissing at me. (Is that what you would call it? "hissing"?) It was dark so I looked around but didn't see anything, then got up to go inside and noticed it was her again starring at me and hissing...so I just went inside.

Hmmmm...so how can I keep her out of my yard? I don't want to be mean, but I'm scared of her.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-06, 11:20 AM
Get a good spray nozzle for your hose and blast the thing every time you see it. Another option is a good dog

Old 04-13-06, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
I would go for the hose, most cats hate water. After a couple shots, it may never come back.

Old 04-13-06, 12:11 PM
I recommend a 12G shotgun with No #4 buck. Seriously the water ought to do it.

Old 04-13-06, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A BB gun will do the trick but the water hose might be more humane.

Old 04-13-06, 03:50 PM
As an inveterate cat hater (I lived with one of the obnoxious things for nearly 20 years) I would vote for the 12 ga (a little overkill though when a .410 would do) but the best way to go is the water hose. A spray bottle with diluted vinegar works pretty good too if it lets you get close enough.

Old 04-14-06, 09:17 AM
I hate cats and I really hate them in my yard. They claw my trees and stink up under my deck or in the cedars.

A 12 gauge is too noisy and the bb gun just maims. A .177 pellet gun is the correct tool.

Since I would not actually shoot the critter, I have done two things.

1- talk to the owner. They are generally OK. This worked for me twice. Once my neighbors cat was in my garage and my kids put the dog in there. The cat is bigger than my dog but after a bunch of commotion, the cat flew out and climbed a tree. My neighbor saw all this and needed to us my ladder to pull the cat down. He does his best to keep it contained now. (We're still buddies.). Another neighbor came over and thanked me for letting him know there was a problem before I had gone to step 2 (below)

2- Go to your city office and get a cat trap. When you have the cat, they come and get it, take it to the humane society and the people need to pay to get it back. Here, we post notices in mailboxes that we are putting in a cat trap I like that.

Water hose has never worked for me. Huge yard... too much hassle getting the hose and chasing the cat.

Old 04-14-06, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
The post office does not like people putting things in mailboxes without stamps on them, I would switch to a different notification system, otherwise mjd2k has a great idea.

Old 04-14-06, 11:25 AM
Take'em on a long walk on a short road!

Old 04-17-06, 12:40 PM
Great ideas all...thanks! uh...but I haven't seen that darn cat for 3 days...which is a good thing...still waiting for it. Cat trap thing sounds excellent but I may try the water hose thing first. I dunno about any type of guns cuz I'm chicken to even hold it. Thanks for the ideas I never thot of!

Old 04-18-06, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYADDICT
but I haven't seen that darn cat for 3days...

Bet you didn't know that cat reads these forums and knows when to keep his distance

Old 04-21-06, 07:08 AM
Get a super soaker squirt gun and keep it near the door.

Old 04-21-06, 08:30 AM
And fill it something other than water right?

Still haven't seen that cat for a week...You're right marksr...she's reading up in here!

Old 04-21-06, 09:09 AM
Wink Hisss....

The most effective and cheapest way to get rid of the cat is to run at it, making a loud hissing noise. The cat will return one more time. Repeat the running and hissing and it will be the last time for cats that are not too tame. If the cat likes you, you may have to repeat it 3 or 4 times, but he will leave.

I had a problem with a very tame cat at an apt. complex. The occupant upstair was feeding it by my front door! The complex would not call Animal control because the "occupant" was "trying to find the cat a good home." A friend suggested "hissing" and it worked.

I have a new "old" home, now, and was rid of 3 cats in a short time, as I am now the "hissing queen". Good luck.

Old 04-21-06, 09:24 AM
Cynthia, by any chance do you know my address? Just wanna make sure you're not gonna video tape me hissing and then send it to America's funniest video. I don't think I could get myself to hiss at it. My neighbors might get scared and wonder what the heck I'm doing if they see or hear me. What if I hiss at it and it attacks me? Ha ha...I'm just too chicken!

Seems like a good suggestion though Ms Hissing queen!

Old 04-21-06, 01:12 PM
PLEEEEAAAASE record that! That would be incredibly funny to watch.

Old 04-21-06, 01:23 PM
Ha Ha..that would be great wouldn't it? Too bad we can't post videos on this site! I'd actually video myself doin' it just so we all can get a laugh...and know it really works and if doesn't...what NOT to do and what happens if you do do it!