Canadian Discrimination

Old 05-16-06, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Canadian Discrimination

Came across this in the rules and regulations of an on-line drawing offered as a bonus with purchase at a major retailer [go to the web site and enter the code to enter; yeah I know I don't excpect to win]. Anyway here's what it said:

"If a Canadian resident wins a prize, that person must also answer correctly within a 5 minute time period a mathematical skill-testing question without the benefit of any human, mechanical or electronic calculating devices before the prize will be awarded."

I am not making this up. Anybody ever see something like this before and/or have any idea what's up with that???

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-16-06 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-06, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like someone really doesn't want a Canadian to win.

Old 05-16-06, 09:35 PM
No biggie ....... someone doesn't want Canucks winning a prize they'd rather give to a Yank. I'm OK with that... Its their prize and they can do what they want with it.......but its nice to see people sticking up for us.

HOwever strange things have been happening lately. Edmonton is been playing San Jose in the NHL (hockey) playoffs. I'm sure most of you have been watching. (yeah right) Both home stadiums are booing the other's national anthem.

My brother and sister in law, just became US citizens. They love it down there. We spend plenty of time in the US and I can't tell the difference between a Canuck or a Yank. Basically the same culture. I got smoked by a golf ball this winter while lounging by the pool. The golfer appoligized and the Americans at the pool kept joking about lousy Canadian golfers. Apparently the golfer had a Canadian accent which is impossible as we don't have an accent.

Old 05-16-06, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
The "skill testing question" is a quirk of Canadian prize giveaway laws.
Some printed tickets or the package label if a product giveaway even have the question printed on them and it is usually something like the equation: (7-3) x 2= ?

This is similar to our raffles that have liquor as a prize. It is unlawfull to give away booze as a raffle prize but the tickets are printed as a draw for a bottle of "perfume"

Old 05-17-06, 04:09 AM
I saw that years ago and thought it was odd. Kinda like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You had to answer a stupid question to cross the bridge.

Old 05-17-06, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
You sure that golfer didn't say, "FORE! EH!"?

I haven't seen the anthem booing [didn't know the hockey season was still going on] but I suspect it was not being done maliciously but rather in good sport [and possibly bad taste].

I've said for many years that the only real friends Americans have in the world are the Canadians, Brits, and Australians. We don't always agree or get along, but we're still friends at the end of the day.

Old 05-17-06, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
....had a Canadian accent which is impossible as we don't have an accent.
are you serious??? i can spot a Canadian right away when they say certain words, like "about" ("aboot") & "sorry" ("sorey"), in between all the "eh?"s! there are other words, too, that you pronounce differently than we do, but i can't think of them now. i just know that when i listen to Canadians like Candice Olson or Mike Myers, i never stop thinking that they're Canadian.

Last edited by Annette; 05-18-06 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think Canadians have a monopoly on its prounciation of the English language.
How about the difference between American southerners and those from New York. I even understand that folks from New Jersey speak differently than those from New York.
Is this so?

Old 05-18-06, 06:40 AM
that's probably true. i know folks from Arkansas sound different than those of us in Missouri.

Old 05-18-06, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
A few tips for you yankees when y'all come down to visit:

http://www.fdu.com/bubbaandclem/dictionary.htm

http://www.qworld.org/staff/beck/suthern.html

Old 05-18-06, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by GregH
I even understand that folks from New Jersey speak differently than those from New York.
Is this so?
Ha ha...Oh yeah!

In Between New York and Boston

Connecticut, Western Shore-mostly city
A lot of Brooklyn with some Lawn Guyland (Long Island) thrown in as you move north up the coast
(Vinny Barbarino to the Sopranos)

Inland west to mid state CT inland
Lot's of "almost clenched teeth" typical Hollywood CT
(Think Lorelli's parents on the Gilmore Girls)
But that's affluent rural, not working class
That stuff comes down mid-state on the Connecticut river, so you'll find it on the shore mid-state too (no cities)

Heading east towards Rhode Island, once over the CT river, it switches to a Rhode Island accent
(Family Guy)

Once through R.I. and over the border into Massachusetts (we've gone about two and a half hours on the highway here, about 150 miles, 240(?)KM) then it's very distinct
(Cheers on steroids)
...or Cheeyahs Nahwmee....That Nahwm, Whaht ah wikit pissah!

http://www.boston-online.com/wickedpr.html

Search this Thread