junk hunting $500 fine

Old 05-19-06, 09:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Angry junk hunting $500 fine

Ok i was garbage picking one night with a flashlight (i was looking for lawnmowers and snowblowers etc) when i get stoped by a cop i tell him im junk hunting and he says its a $500 dollar fine without a permite he let me off with a warning so heres the deal the permite costs $25 but you have to have a car i was on bicyicle why do you need a permite whats wrong with taking lawnmowers and stuff out of peoples trash you know if its on the curb it belongs to anybody right so why do you need a permit?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 06:42 AM
Here during the summer (busy) months, the local Waste Transfer Station (dump) lets volunteers run a Swap Shop in a corner of the drop-off recycling area

Anyone with old machines or other things that might be fixed or used by someone else are put aside, and others can browse and take things they want/need

Old 05-20-06, 07:50 AM
Lexmark - It's just another way for the local bureaucrats to wring another buck out of people.
I often put stuff out by the road the day before trash pickup. By morning a lot of it is gone. The way I see it if someone else can get some use from it or can make a dollar off it good for them.

Old 05-20-06, 04:16 PM
That is totally nuts. Once someone throws it out- I say have at it. What a needless, inecusable fine. No one gets hurt by going through the trash and someone might just find something they need. One mans trash, etc.

Old 05-20-06, 10:05 PM
yeah

yeah its stuped whats wrong with junk hunting its just another way for citys to make money off of those that don't have any

Originally Posted by kitkat32
That is totally nuts. Once someone throws it out- I say have at it. What a needless, inecusable fine. No one gets hurt by going through the trash and someone might just find something they need. One mans trash, etc.

Old 05-22-06, 09:50 AM
I agree will u all but one thought is...it might scare the owners of the trash. Ha ha...There was this man that came up my street and went through everyone's trash. Honestly it freaked me out only b/c I heard noise outside. Scared as I was, I peeped out the window and saw what that man was doing. I know it's just trash but it's MY trash and MY trashcan. I kinda felt like he was invading my privacy. I left it as is...thinking he's just recycling and whatever. I also noticed my neighbor was curious too, but they actually came out of the house to see what the heck was going on. After that, I don't know what happened but I don't see that man anymore.

Kinda don't like the idea of other's knowing my business in my trash.

Old 05-22-06, 09:58 AM
Biggest problem I have with it is that the junk hunters around here generally scatter the rest of the pile all over the swale.

Going through people's garbage at night sounds like an invitation to getting shot or getting a big dog let loose on you....

Old 05-22-06, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
the permite costs $25 but you have to have a car
it seems to me like it ought to be either legal or illegal - period. the fact that one guy has a $25 permit & drives up in a vehicle doesn't make me feel better than the guy on a bicycle with no permit - it's still a stranger rooting around in someone else's trash.

sounds like they're trying to keep homeless people from going through people's trash. but it shouldn't be okay for regular people to do it, just because they have a car and $25 bucks.

sorry - but i think it should be illegal. i'm a woman with small children in the house, and i don't want strangers from who-knows-where coming into my neighborhood, right up on my driveway or lawn, no matter what they're doing. if you want to go junk hunting, go to the junk yard.

Old 05-22-06, 11:00 AM
I asked a buddy of mine who is a local cop and he told me that my town also has an ordinance against "trash picking". He said it had been in effect for year. Apparently, the town had lots of complaints about trash being scattered about but didn't do anything about it until a motorist had a minor accident trying to avoid some junk in the road. The motorist sued the homeowner and the town (they settled) and the town banned junk picking.
Now he said, there is lots of concern about identity thieves getting personal info from the trash.

As a side note, there is an elderly lady that rides her bike around picking up bottles and cans. We have a 5 cent deposit here and apparently she supplements her SS with the deposit money. She comes by every week on Tuesday and most of us in the neighborhood put our bottles out for her. It saves us from having to redeem them and she gets a little income. The police kind of look the other way when she is making her rounds.

Old 05-22-06, 01:19 PM
Well i don't go into peoples trash cans the lawnmowers just sit on the curb so i grab them most of the time theres nothing wrong with the mowers people just don't want them either because they did not sell at a yard sale or there moving and can't use them besides i go out during the day around 7:30 8PM

Old 05-22-06, 01:25 PM
hmm......let me get this straight......

first you said:

Ok i was garbage picking one night with a flashlight (i was looking for lawnmowers and snowblowers etc) when i get stoped by a cop
then you said:
besides i go out during the day around 7:30 8PM
your story sure does change! and fyi - "PM" is at NIGHT!!!

so which is it? are you going around at night with a flashlight, during the day, or at 7:30 - 8pm?????

not to mention that you said:
i was on bicyicle
now how exactly do you transport a lawnmower and/or snowblowers while riding on a bicycle?????

i think that cop was asking himself these same questions!!!

Old 05-22-06, 01:41 PM
now how exactly do you transport a lawnmower and/or snowblowers while riding on a bicycle?????
It all depends if the lawnmower is self propelled.

Initially, when I read the OP in this thread, I was pretty much sympathetic. After all, I would rather somebody get some use from something I'm tossing out than to have it go to the landfill. Then I talked to my friend the cop and my wife chimed in. She also has concerns about some stranger lurking around the house at night that may or may not be sorting through our trash. That was something I didn't really consider (probably a guy thing). I guess I've changed my mind.
Except for the bottle lady.

Old 05-22-06, 01:55 PM
Well i don't go into peoples trash cans the lawnmowers just sit on the curb so i grab them most of the time theres nothing wrong with the mowers people just don't want them either because they did not sell at a yard sale or there moving and can't use them
i have a hard time believing people would put a perfectly good working lawnmower out for the trash. for starters, i don't think a working lawnmower would go unsold at a yard sale. and if you're moving to a place where you won't need one, you leave yours for the new owners or give it to someone you know. secondly, i don't think a regular trash truck would PICK UP a lawnmower. i know our trash service wouldn't.

here's a thought......you want to get stuff cheap? go to yard sales! go to flea markets. read the classified ads in the paper. or go to the DAV or Goodwill or Salvation Army store. but don't rummage around people's trash. you're on a computer, right? sorry, but how hard up can you be?

Old 05-22-06, 01:58 PM
Wow Annette...your brain works very well! I would've missed all that if you hadn't mentioned it.

So...I wonder if it's still a fine if the owner of the "trash", leaves stuff outside next to the trash can and writes "Lawnmower (or whatever) for FREE" would there still be a fine?

Old 05-22-06, 02:05 PM
that's Detective Annette!

Old 05-22-06, 02:07 PM
well i used to go at night untill i was stoped so know i go out in the day LIGHT so people can see whats going on besides im not some 30-80 year old pervirt that wonders the street and to answer you question on the bike i walk it home i ride around the differnt streets untill the end off the run or untill i come accross one than i push it home i try to stay withing a mile and half of my home so if the bikes gets a flat i don'tt have far to walk oh yeah like i said im not some drunk perviert that goes into the trash looking for bottles to cash in for beer we got a guy who does that every trash day he used to live on our street but was evicted do to his house haveing to many auto parts and trash im 20 years old i find these lawnmowers than fix them and sell them alot of times they work i found a honda in the trash that said $20 on the tage the unit worked fine got 25 for it on ebay. does that answer your questions. yes PM is at night but when i was stoped it was dark now i go out while the sun is still out so people can see whats going on know do you people get it.

Old 05-22-06, 02:30 PM
Ok...so people get to see you, but are you carrying a sign around your neck saying "I'm not a pervert"? How is anyone to know that? I'm not saying you are or to wear a sign around your neck but I guess rules are rules right? Why fight it? Going out during the day just gives people more of an opportunity to call the cops on you...since they can see you. Day or night...no difference!

Actually, I re-read your thread and I don't know why or how it makes sense about no bikes and you have to have a car w/a permit. Could be...what if you were walking the lawnmower home and decided on the way...you don't want it and leave it out in the middle of nowhere? Something had to have happened in the past to have this become the law.

Old 05-22-06, 02:38 PM
you came here for an answer so don't get upset when you get one. in these days of identity theft, home invasions, etc. fumbling around in my stuff will get you shot. daylight or not, it's my property, on my property untill it's picked up by the people i expect to pick it up and take it to a place i have determined appropriate. period.
as for the permit, it is likely the folks in the town were tired of scavengers and uninvited visitors. it's just a way of controlling activities and the 25.00 probably doesn't cover the cost of administration.

Old 05-22-06, 02:41 PM
besides im not some 30-80 year old pervirt..... im 20 years old
yeah, at only 20 years old, you couldn't possibly be a pervert, because, as we all know, perverts are required to be between the ages of 30-80.........and you've gotta have a permit for that.......it's $25.

just kidding.......no one is accusing you of being a pervert. but clearly, most folks don't want other folks wandering around their neighborhood taking stuff out of their trash. ok?

you got off with a warning. he could've made you pay the $500 fine. so be happy!

Old 05-22-06, 02:48 PM
I sometimes put stuff out with a sign "Free Stuff".

Most is perfectly good, but rather than chucking it or spending a weekend tending a garage sale, to make a few bucks, I give it away. I'm not rich but I'd rather this stuff is used by someone.

I gave away a couple of dressers, chairs and weight lifting bench last week. One of my tenants left it behind and my tenant agreed that I could give it away. It was all in excellent shape but he moved to Fort McMurray and didn't have room for it.

Old 05-22-06, 02:56 PM
so what i grab a lawnmower or snowblower im not the only one on a bike that does this i have been beaten to lawnmowers and snowblowers before i was a few secounds late and this guy was loading them up into his van so you see i'm not the only one doing this if its during the day most people feel better cause they can see whats going on they can look and say oh its just somone taking my mower they just keep on eye to make sure that your not going through the trash cans im not the only one i had a bunch of fans that i put out by the curb heard a bunch of noise when i was in the garage when i came out the fans were gone besides one time back at the old house someone knocked on the door and asked if he could have this old metal chair theres nothing wrong with what i do lots of people do it a guy at my dads work does it so what as long as they can see i think they are a little more at ease cause they can see whats going on besides if the people are out i come back another time if theres time so what when i get a car i will get the permite i go down the same streets around the same time i know people worry but COME ON if im just grabbing a mower or snowblower they can see im not going through the trash cans is the mower is under a bunch of trash or is on top of the trash cans i leave it im not trying to scare anyone if the mower as all four wheels and i can get to it easy with no problems i will nab it give it another chance at life whats wrong with that jeze people im not riding some girls bike like some perverts

P.S i was wirghting this before you responded i see your point but still people might be a little more at ease if they see whats going on if im just taking a lawnmower they may feel a little more at ease

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-22-06 at 03:01 PM. Reason: last minute details
Old 05-22-06, 03:09 PM
...im not riding some girls bike ...
now that, would be funny.

Nothing wrong with getting free stuff... But just b/c others are doing it doesn't mean you should or can. Just get your permit and if a cop or anyone else stops ya, waive it happily in there face and go along your merrily way.

Old 05-22-06, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
that's Detective Annette!
alright Detective help me find the right fashon shoes

Old 05-22-06, 05:32 PM
i can understand that i don't want strangers coming up to my back gate or front porch but i only take items that are on the curb by the street no where near the house i don't go on some ones property and steal. if its out by the curb on garbage day with the trash cans or in the street than its trash i take it home see whats wrong if anything and than fix it and sell it give it a second chance at life

i'm a woman with small children in the house, and i don't want strangers from who-knows-where coming into my neighborhood, right up on my driveway or lawn

Old 05-22-06, 06:48 PM
tae
Old 05-22-06, 07:28 PM
I told you so

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-22-06 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 12:40 PM
JUST STAY OUT OF MY TRASH CANS!!!! that's all i'm saying!

well, one more thing......

if you happen across any really cute shoes, size 8, maybe something strappy, with a little kitten heel, in white? leave them for me by the curb, k?

Old 05-23-06, 12:53 PM
I DON'T GO IN YOUR @#$%&^% TRASHCANS

and if i come by some really cuit shoes i will let you know

JUST STAY OUT OF MY TRASH CANS!!!! that's all i'm saying!

well, one more thing......

if you happen across any really cute shoes, size 8, maybe something strappy, with a little kitten heel, in white? leave them for me by the curb, k?

Old 05-25-06, 08:52 AM
Deb
You should get the permit......

I think that people might not mind it you came to the door and asked for these things..........

As for whether or not its right that you need to have a permit, I think that it is not really right, but these days you don't know what people might be doing........

I think that when I put my junk out to the curb, (I have to pay $25 dollars for the city to pick mine up) I will put it separate from my regular trash so that if someone wants to take it I will know that is what they are doing. Alot of people here do put signs up (free stuff).

Just a little other note here, I came from a small town and I know of people there that have had their houses raided by police who obtained a warrant by going though their trash and finding whatever evidence they needed in there.

Old 05-27-06, 02:17 AM
i never heard of haveing to pay for the lawnmowers to be picked up by the trash guy i just put the lawnmowers that i could not get running out by the curb and when i wake up there gone one had a broken rod so that was junk another had a missing gas tank and carb another had a missing carb and was flooded with over it would not turn over removed the plug and oil came pouring out also the engine was full of water it was probely in a flood theres this truck that comes down my street i had a trimmer shaft and an oil metel curtan rod they took the rod out of the trash can and took the shaft the truck was over flowing with metal. of course every state and city is different i live in Warren, MI so laws very by state and city.

P.S i forgot i had found a lawnmower it was called a lawn flurt no gas tank or fuel line tried to make a gas tank out of a coffie can i had in the garage and useing a drinking straw and a air hose adapter did not help would not start fuel would not go into the carb.

Old 05-27-06, 06:13 AM
Lots of arguing about whats "right, wrong and indifferent" but the bottom line is the law where you live. Either get the permit or save up $500 to pay the fine if you get stopped again.

Old 06-15-06, 10:49 AM
cambece
Visiting Guest
Ok i was garbage picking one night with a flashlight (i was looking for lawnmowers and snowblowers etc) when i get stoped by a cop i tell him im junk hunting and he says its a $500 dollar fine without a permite he let me off with a warning so heres the deal the permite costs $25 but you have to have a car i was on bicyicle why do you need a permite whats wrong with taking lawnmowers and stuff out of peoples trash you know if its on the curb it belongs to anybody right so why do you need a permit?
thats worse than a $100 fine for flicking a cigarette on the ground...

Cambece

Old 06-15-06, 12:05 PM
thats worse than a $100 fine for flicking a cigarette on the ground..
Depends on where the cigarette is "flicked". I see jerks throwing their lit cigarettes out of their car windows all the time. Quite often in dry wooded areas. IMO a $100 fine is too lenient. They should be given community service like picking up and eating cigarette butts for a month.

Old 06-15-06, 12:45 PM
You know...I heard (from my parents) people in China pick up cig butts and recycle them...nasty!!!

I agree with ya Wayne except the eating the cig butts part. I just can't do that! I mean, uh...other people just can't do that and that's gross!

U R 2 funny!

...I gotta go smoke now.

Old 06-15-06, 12:51 PM
That's one thing that flips on my J/A switch is when someone flips their cigg butt out their car window and it comes back on my car.

Old 06-15-06, 01:00 PM
Don't worry...someday when those flickers flick it might go right back in their own car and they'll learn their lesson! It happens...

Old 06-15-06, 01:01 PM
Well Guess what found 3 mowers in the trash as of sunday 1 works the other 2 Im working on see posts murry lawnmower and airens lawnmower won't stop smoking to find out whats wrong with the other 2.

Old 06-16-06, 07:08 PM
I got a 4 day old sub sammich and some half eaten meatballs out of the garbage the other day.

Was pretty good!

Old 06-19-06, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Depends on where the cigarette is "flicked". I see jerks throwing their lit cigarettes out of their car windows all the time. Quite often in dry wooded areas. IMO a $100 fine is too lenient.
i agree - flicking butts shouldn't have a fine, it should be a charge of arson.

just a few days ago, while traveling through a very hot & dry Texas, we drove through a newly started roadside brush fire on the highway that, i'm sure, was started by a flicked lit cigarette. it had just jumped the highway, so it was on both sides of us. you could feel the heat from both sides of the car. it was like driving through an oven. no emergency personnel were even there yet, but after a minute or so, we started seeing police & other emergency vehicles coming down the highway from the other direction. later, some friends said they saw it on the news, so i guess it got much, much bigger than what we saw. i'm sure we shouldn't have driven through it, but it was either that or stop & get hit from behind & start a major multi-car pile-up. the smoke was already incredibly thick, but i could just barely see that the car in front of us had gone on through it too, so i knew we wouldn't hit him. pretty scary.

Old 06-19-06, 05:56 PM
You should be fined for throwing ANYTHING out of your car window. Cigs, trash, even liquids. I don't want to get hit by anything moving 60+ mph, especially if it's on fire or wet.

Nothing funny about getting to work with a cigarette burn on your pants and smelling like beer because some a-hole in front of you had to throw his trash out the window of a moving vehicle.