Teens climbing over my Brick Wall

Old 05-23-06, 10:17 AM
Teens climbing over my Brick Wall

Behind my brick walled backyard is a condo complex and their "playground". I say that b/c I haven't actually looked over the brick wall to see what's really there. I know there's a basketball court though b/c I could see the rim from my yard. In the 1 year I've been living here there would be basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, tennis balls, baseballs and even trash coming over the wall. I would toss back over the balls (and throw away the trash). I really don't mind it since it hasn't gotten out of control.

A few weeks ago I got home and noticed my patio chair was up against the brick wall-I'm assuming one of the kids climbed over to get their ball and couldn't get back over. I only got upset b/c obviously they couldn't put the chair back. I like my things put back where they belong!

Last nite, I got home, went to my room and stared out to the backyard (for unknown reasons)...next thing you know, I see a kid climbing over the brick wall so I just stared at him like what the heck are you doing??? He caught my eye and asked if he could have his ball back. So, of course...I had my son throw him the ball back. I'm assuming they're doing this all the time now when I'm gone. Not only is it MY property...they could get hurt.

So...what do I do??? I don't want the kids to hate me b/c they know where I live and can easily know when I'm home or not and they might do something stupid to get me mad and break a window or take something when I'm gone or even when I'm home. I don't want to not do anything about it b/c they might seriously get hurt from climbing over or falling...would I be liable? I could put up some barbed wires... too ugly. I could put some cactus along the wall... or just talk to them...but what do I say? I don't live in a bad neighborhood...but you just never know what could go wrong...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Probably no use talking to the kids, but I would seek out the parents and figure out what to do. I think you are right to be concerned (especially considering the state you live in). I don't think it would be hard to find a lawyer who would help sue you into bankruptcy if one of them fell off the wall and broke his neck.

Old 05-23-06, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Barbed wire and cacti could hurt people and you would, unfortunately, be held liable. I'd check to see what the laws in your area are and see what legal options you have. Irritating, but you want to make sure you don't do anything wrong while trying to protect yourself.

Old 05-23-06, 12:56 PM
get a really big, mean-looking, mean-sounding DOG!!!

OR........just a tape recording of a big dog barking, and a sign that says "BEWARE OF DOG" another one that says "NO TRESPASSING" and/or "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ACCIDENTS".

how tall is this brick wall???

i would talk to the manager of the condo complex & tell him what's going on. maybe they could make the wall taller, since it's directly behind a basketball goal? or maybe he'd move the goal? or maybe he'd send out a notice or put up a sign on his side of the wall that says "no climbing on or over the wall"??

i dunno.......that sucks! i would really hate that! strangers in & out of your backyard is as unnerving as strangers in your front yard going through your trash! but i think what these kids are doing is actually trespassing, which IS illegal! no ifs, ands, or buts about that one.......right?

Old 05-23-06, 01:06 PM
Yup...I agree.

I wasn't really going to put barbed wires or cactus there...it was just my immediate thinking.

The wall is 13 blocks tall...it that means anything. Basically for me to see the other side I'd have to stand on a chair or stool and look over or hop up and down trying. I'm 5'2" so maybe the wall is like 6-7 ft? (Dunno my math so I either can jump very high or that's not right)

Great ideas

Old 05-23-06, 01:11 PM
then i'd say it's not high enough. really - for the complex to put a play area there, in order to keep balls on their side, it needs to be higher - especially if there's a basketball goal positioned so that missed shots are going directly into your yard! talk to the property manager/owner/person.

or build a higher privacy fence on your side directly next to the wall......unless there's an easement there that you have to leave open.....

Old 05-23-06, 01:12 PM
wait a minute.......whose brick wall is it? i was assuming the complex built it...?

Old 05-23-06, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
what you could do is remove the chairs that way if they climb in your yard and can't get out you can then drag them to there parents and tell them whats going on.

by the way what age do these kids apper to be young teenagers that would also help.

Old 05-23-06, 01:16 PM
The ones I've seen climb up and over looks like Jr. Highers or 6th graders.

The wall I think belongs to me as the side walls of my backyard are the same brick walls.

I think I'll write them a letter too for proof/evidence in case something does happen to the kids.

Old 05-23-06, 01:19 PM
well, if the sidewalls are the same as the back wall, i'd say it's your wall, so i say put up a NO Trespassing sign, and talk to the property manager.

do your neighbors have the same walls?

Old 05-23-06, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
do your neighbors have the same walls?
yup, but apparently the basketball court missed shots are directed to my backyard only.

Old 05-23-06, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Might not look great, but you could probably put a chain link fence on top of the wall pretty easily and that might go a long way toward keeping the balls on the court.

Old 05-23-06, 02:14 PM
that would look horrible! (no offense, Mitch!) it would be so much easier & less expensive to relocate the basketball goal. missed shots need to fall on the complex's property.

DIY shouldn't have to spend a penny to rectify this situation. those kids are trespassing on private property that is completely walled in by a very high cinderblock wall!

i know you have those chairs out there as a convenience for your own use, but i'll bet those kids get to the top of the wall, and before they commit & jump into your yard, they make sure your chairs are there so they'll have a way to get out. no chairs in sight, no kids jumping in. right?

Old 05-23-06, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
No offense taken, I never said the fence would be pretty, just effective. However, I don't recall reading anything in DIY's posts that lead me to believe the basketball hoop could be moved.

Old 05-23-06, 11:55 PM
Talk to the condo board office. Doubt they will have a problem. Simple solutions could be put in a hedge or some other border about 12 feet from the wall (on their side). Or they could plant a couple trees. That should stop them from playing close to your fence and drastically reduce the number of errant balls.
I've been on a condo board and we would have fixed the problem out of good will.

Old 05-24-06, 12:33 AM
by Annette. in your front yard going through your trash!
GIVE IT A @#$%*&^ REST ALREADY!!!!!!!!!! I don't go through you trash cans

now to keep kids out of your backyard put some bushes along the wall we got some along are back fence if you want pictures of the bushes to get some ideas i will take them right now its 3:36AM and im not taking pictures in the dark.

by the way annette i found you some funky green monster slippers

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-24-06 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 09:00 AM
You guys are crack up!

There are tall trees along the side of the wall already, on the condo's side about 3/4 of the way of the entire back wall so I'm assuming they wouldn't be able to plant something further. (I know I shouldn't assume) but there isn't much space probably for the kids to play if they put more trees or any tall plants. I don't think they would have much to play around with as their space is limited as there are train tracks there too. So there's my yard, the kids area and then train tracks. I don't see how that's safe but...

I got the phone number of the complex this morning so I'm going to call and see what there office hours are so I can go in there and talk to them in person.

I'm not quite ready to spend a dime for more blocks (for the wall) or a fence or plants. I don't want to have to move my things around or out of the yard just to accomodate for the kids.

Old 05-24-06, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I'm not quite ready to spend a dime for more blocks (for the wall) or a fence or plants. I don't want to have to move my things around or out of the yard just to accomodate for the kids.
i agree. you shouldn't have to DO a thing. the kids just need to stay OUT of your yard. they need to know & trust that you will *eventually - at your first opportunity* throw any found balls back over the wall (as you've always done) but they are NOT to climb over YOUR wall onto YOUR property. period.

TRAIN TRACKS DIRECTLY NEXT TO A PLAY AREA?!?!?!

....that's a whole 'nother thread!!!!

Old 05-24-06, 11:30 AM
I just conversated with the manager about the situation and apparently she knew exactly what I was talking about (Previous owners of my house or neighbors must of said something too). I basically just asked if I could go there and talk to them in person to solve the problem and that I'm not trying to make a "complaint". She was sincerely nice and understood so I'll be off to see her this weekend. (I can't see them during the weekday b/c they close @ 6pm). So I'll keep you guys posted.

AND...her name happens to be Annette!

Old 05-24-06, 02:05 PM
"AND...her name happens to be Annette!"

With a name like that, her resolution will probably be for you to "shoooo" the kids away.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 05-24-06, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
(sorry, couldn't resist)
next time........RESIST!!!!

Old 05-24-06, 05:41 PM
I just conversated with the manager about the situation and apparently she knew exactly what I was talking about ...She was sincerely nice and understood so I'll be off to see her this weekend.
Yes, as she should be

Sad to say, but in this litigious society, she needs to be very sure that kids do not climb over the wall

I don't mean No Trespassing signs
A posted No Trespassing sign means the responsible parties knew of the transgressions and did not take proper precautions to prevent them
No Trespassing signs do not hold up in civil cases

Yes, they are used as evidence against the parties being sued

In many cases they are in fact never put up because it acknowledges that the responsible parties knew of the trespassing, and that fact is held against, and works against them, in court

If there are no No Trespassing signs on the wall, the condo could've been advised to do this, or make the wall impenetrable

Obviously, pretending the problem doesn't exist is the least expensive way

Old 05-25-06, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Sad and true but I can't. I'm a "take action" kinda gal and don't like people (kids) not respecting people or property that's not theirs. I've called my insurance company and I in fact do have coverage I never thought about. My insurance co. did in fact tell me signs or talking to kids, etc. will not help in a case against me regardless. She mentioned talking to the manager would be a good move...so that's what I'm going to do.

I will talk to her see what happens then write a letter confirming our conversation...then go from there.

Old 05-25-06, 09:29 AM
Not meant as a suggestion but when I was in the service I spent some time in South Korea. Folks there live in walled "compounds" with one or several little houses inside a concrete wall. What they do is to cement broken coke bottle bottoms into the top of the wall. Of course they're on a constant "prepare for war" footing so their need is a bit more serious....

Old 05-25-06, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Sad and true but I can't.
Oh, I didn't mean from your perspective
I mean the condo assoc. may have had a choice

Make the wall un-scaleable, or pretend the problem doesn't exist

They chose the cheaper of the two
I'm not saying it's right
By no means
You should insist they correct the problem, as I'm pretty sure it's they who would be liable

Old 05-25-06, 10:55 AM
oh! I read that one wrong! Sorry! I see what you mean now.

Old 05-25-06, 02:27 PM
My nephew is autistic and keeps getting out of the yard. He was rescued from the lake one day and was found 10 miles away by the police another time.

My brother-in law, has nailed two rows of carpet tack along the top of the fence to keep him in. It works. Also keeps cats etc from coming in. Neighbors are OK with it.

Probably more than you want to do to a bunch of sixth graders trying to get their ball back.

Old 05-26-06, 05:20 AM
Coat the back edge of the wall with a 1/2" layer of axle grease. If they do manaage to get over it they will surely think twice next time since they will be a mess.

Old 05-26-06, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
Coat the back edge of the wall with a 1/2" layer of axle grease. If they do manaage to get over it they will surely think twice next time since they will be a mess.
This might be the answer.

Old 05-26-06, 08:52 AM
Seriously? where do I get it at?

Last night the ball came over again but I was there this time. I heard them complaining to the kid that hit it over. They were all arguing in a whiny way. Instead of playing basketball, they were playing with the basketball (smaller size) to play baseball or something. I only knew this because I heard the metal bat hit the concrete everytime they hit that ball. In any case, I went out and threw them back their ball before anyone of them would attempt at climbing over.

After I threw it over I heard a million kids yelling "thank you!, thank you senorita!" I didn't say a word...don't know why. For some reason, I'm thinking someone must have talked to the kids or something...The weekend's around the corner so I'll know for sure when I go over there to talk to the manager.

Old 05-26-06, 12:20 PM
Kids will be kids and when their form of entertainment is taken away, like their ball going over the fence, they will either retrieve the ball or find something else to do. That something else may be something that really gets them into trouble.

I agree with you talking to the manager. Consider proposing the installation of a net (by the Condo association) like the ones that they use at golf courses or paintball fields.

Good luck.

DWC

Old 05-31-06, 12:51 PM
So................ howed it go
talk to the manager about the kids climbing over your back wall yet.

Old 05-31-06, 01:02 PM
I KNEW someone was going to ask! I didn't ask yet...

I was too busy cleaning, mowing, doing laundry, eating, sleeping...then I got lazy to walk over around corner. I'll get to it this weekend and let cha'll know.

Old 05-31-06, 01:33 PM
then I got lazy to walk over around corner.
slacker!!! take the short cut OVER THE WALL!!!! LOL!

Old 05-31-06, 01:53 PM
You're correctomundo! I am a slacker!!!...I gotta get off my butt once again...

You know Annette, that thought did cross my mind...then I'd probably fall onto THEIR side of the wall and then ...Hmmmmm

Old 06-05-06, 04:19 AM
Well did you get a chance to talk the manager about the kids yet.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 06-05-06 at 02:25 PM.