CSI only for TV ???

Old 05-23-06, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CSI only for TV ???

I have a bldg on my property [originally built for business] that is out of site from my home. It's at road level, my house is about 500' away and approx 300' higher elevation. Since I had to retire I basically have turned it over to my sons to work on their vehichles.

Saturday night or early Sun AM thieves broke the lock and stole aprox $1500 worth of tools and stereo equipment. I noticed it on the way to church Sun morning and called my sons to let them check it out and call the sherriff dept. The deputies told them we couldn't enter or replace the lock untill the criminal investagor came on Monday. After repeated calls on monday the detective called [after 4pm] and said he probably wouldn't be out until wednesday. He also said we could lock it up because he wouldn't bother to fingerprint because it was a waste of time.

My wife's neice who lives in the city had a break in last year. Several thousand dollars worth of jewelry was taken along with credit cards which were used at walmart. They told her there was no sense in reviewing walmarts security tapes or interviewing any of the teenagers that were seen on the property around the time the items were taken.

I have always been a supporter of law enforcement but I'm shocked at what I have been hearing and seeing. I'm mainly typing this to vent frustration but after all this is chats and WHINES. Hopefully someone has some good law enforcement experiences to counter these bad ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 03:42 PM
Simply amazing...surely sucks! Sorry to hear about all that!

I had my old car broken into years ago. They broke the driver's side window to get in and steal only the stereo...mind you...it was a very old stereo...VERY old...not even worth stealing. I would've given it to them glady. The police came knocking on the door when I was pregnant in the middle of the night like 2am or something telling me what happened and asking me to fill out a report...I was thinking those stupid theives...can I go back to sleep now? The police were very nice and helpful but a waste of my time (only b/c to me it was something small but a little costly b/c of the window). They never caught who did it.

My parent's house got broken into about 10 years ago or so as my dad was picking up my son from daycare. When he got back the theives heard and took off so fast. Only items stolen was my mom's wedding ring, VCR and fake jewelry. The house was turned upside down...everything out of place, out of drawers...it was a mess...the cops caught the kids (they were kids!..not even high school) got my mom's wedding ring and fake jewelry back and found the VCR in the neighbor's yard.

There's the good ones and then there's the bad ones...

Old 05-23-06, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Professional thieves/burglars are, unfortunately, rarely caught. I've had both my home and my office burgled over the years and no one was ever caught.

Old 05-24-06, 12:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My mon was broken into a long time ago twice at the same house they stole a stero BIG stereo missed the silver silverware i think they even stole here dog finaly she had enough and moved she had an idea who did it a boyfriend she was dateing all through she could not prove it.

Old 05-24-06, 05:09 AM
Had an ATV taken from back of my truck in front of the house and the police fingerprinted my truck (found no usable prints). ATV was found abandoned several miles away. My friend had a couple of thousand dollars of paintball gear taken from his truck and the same police agency did not fingerprint. I think that in their mind if they have a chance of recovering the items (Large ATV with S/N v/s smaller items that are easily gotten rid of) they go the extra step.

One detective told me that many times they will look at the police report and then contact the homeowner and advise them that there is not enough evidence/information for them to persue it and that the homeowner should contact them if they come across any additional information. They won't even visit the house as they have too many other investigations going on that may have a greater chance of being solved.

Old 05-24-06, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Professional thieves/burglars are, unfortunately, rarely caught. I've had both my home and my office burgled over the years and no one was ever caught.
Guess that's why they're called "Professionals..."

Old 05-24-06, 09:39 AM
Mark - I've had mixed results. I had a new (2 months old) Cub Cadet tractor stolen from my yard. The police made a report but basicaly told me that the theives were out of state pros and we would never recover it.
A few years earlier my wife's car was vandalized (stolen CD player, keyed, spray painted (with a can taken from my truck which added salt to the wound). The police made a report and I expected that would be the end of it from them. I investigated myself and ended up finding out who did it. I called the police and before I could give them the names they told me the who it was. They made the arrests, I got restitution and a couple of bad guys got busted. I think a lot depends on the cop -this guy was a "beat" cop not a detective - involved. He actually took crime in his area personally.
I also think that cops will put less effort into property crime, especially if the loss is likely to be covered by insurance or if there is no obvious smoking gun pointing to an individual.

Old 05-24-06, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The sad part is there was no insurance

My boys said the 2 deputies that made the original report were nice, explained what would take place and said that it would be turned over to the investigating detective monday AM.

We have talked to the detective once on the phone, new info has come up since but he hasn't even returned any phone calls.
We along with some of the neighbors are 90% certain who one of the thieves was. Him and another boy were seen at the location early sun AM and left in a hurry when they realized they were being watched - we think they came back to get what they left [didn't steal] he was a suspect even before this info.

Not on the original report is the fact that they also stole the keys to several vehichles. Fortunetly [I think] none of them are in a driveable condition - missing head, carb etc.

Probably the worst thing, if in fact the sherriffs dept isn't working on it, is how my sons will view law enforcement. I don't want them to believe all the law does is write tickets and ignore crime. They have already joked that they ought to quit their jobs and become buglars since it appears nothing will happen to the crooks.

Old 05-25-06, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr
I don't want them to believe all the law does is write tickets and ignore crime.
A lot more revenue is generated by writing tickets than by investigating crimes - the almighty dollar wins again.

Old 05-25-06, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gee Mitch, I never thought of it that way.

So far I've not heard back from the detective. I did go by the sherriff dept and got a copy of the police report - you wouldn't believe all the errors in the report.

According to the report the main suspect lives directly accross from the bldg - he lives around the bend, same side of road about a 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile as the crow flies [not counting the tall hill in between]

All the listed items stolen where valued at 1/2 or less of what they cost [depriciation I guess] 1 example - shovel, pick, rake and hoe = $10

Set of craftsman tools and box $200, floor jack and 6 jack stands $35

The report did detail visible finger prints and shoe prints but since no one ever came out to process them ........

I don't know what bothers me more - the loss of all the material possesions or the loss of peace of mind coupled with my sons loss of respect for law enforcement.