Huh???

Old 06-01-06, 01:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question Huh???

I was at a friend's house the other day for their daughter's 5 year old birthday party. I am agnostic, the friends recently changed to Christians ( to each their own). One of the gifts was a Bible bag, which I couldn't comprehend since the 5 year old cannot read yet. The friends applauded this, but it just made me wonder why anyone would give a Bible bag to someone who isn't old enough to read. I personally gave a Barbie doll and a couple kid-sized puzzles. Any explanation of why a Bible bag is an appropriate gift for someone not old enough to read yet would be appreciated.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 06-08-06 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 01:33 PM
Perhaps the reason was so the Bible didn't get worn or torn up before she learned how to read.

Old 06-01-06, 01:38 PM
a Bible "bag" or bookcover? I've seen Bible book bags that can be used for other things than books...but she's 5 right?...starting at least to read?...or having books being read to her? Was it a pretty/cute bag? Could of just been a "nice" thing to do and an encouragement in their change of religion? It's almost like having a purse to play with and stuff all her things in.

Old 06-01-06, 01:49 PM
nap
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk
I was at a friend's house the other day for their daughter's 5 year old daughter. I am agnostic, the friends recently changed to Christians ( to each their own). One of the gifts was a Bible bag, which I couldn't comprehend since the 5 year old cannot read yet. The friends applauded this, but it just made me wonder why anyone would give a Bible bag to someone who isn't old enough to read. I personally gave a Barbie doll and a couple kid-sized puzzles. Any explanation of why a Bible bag is an appropriate gift for someone not old enough to read yet would be appreciated.

It doesn't really sound like you have a "to each their own" attitude at all. You are knocking a gift given to a child and you biggest complaint seems to be that it is a religion based gift. Now this child may not be able to read but she is very close. My children and myself all read well before the age of 5, not War and Peace but the newspaper and such.

What this gift does is to instill respect for her bible. While you may not wish to follow any religion, those that do (Christians) have great reverence for the bible and treat it accordingly.
Christians celebrate their belief and there is no such thing as too young to start. You do not have to be able to read to understand the Christian life.

Your gifts were very appropriate for the situation. Not a thing wrong with them. Allow the child to enjoy her family's beliefs and you are very welcome to enjoy yours.

Old 06-01-06, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by nap
It doesn't really sound like you have a "to each their own" attitude at all. You are knocking a gift given to a child and you biggest complaint seems to be that it is a religion based gift. Now this child may not be able to read but she is very close. My children and myself all read well before the age of 5, not War and Peace but the newspaper and such.

What this gift does is to instill respect for her bible. While you may not wish to follow any religion, those that do (Christians) have great reverence for the bible and treat it accordingly.
Christians celebrate their belief and there is no such thing as too young to start. You do not have to be able to read to understand the Christian life.

Your gifts were very appropriate for the situation. Not a thing wrong with them. Allow the child to enjoy her family's beliefs and you are very welcome to enjoy yours.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I will add, that starting a child early with Christianity, is a very good thing. Being a Christian myself...I would have never said "Man, I wish I would've waited to start following Jesus".

Old 06-02-06, 05:02 AM
A bible "tote" or one of those bible-shaped purse things?

Well, regardless, at 5, the child will probably not be getting their own copy of The Bible for another 5 years, and is possibly too young to have a purse

A children's bible maybe, with lots of pictures, that sort of thing
Maybe they plan to start teaching her with that
I could see that happening

If they plan to give her a "real" bible, I feel that's inappropriate
Whether or not she can read isn't the issue, she can't grasp the Bible...sorry, not yet*

I could see the kiddie bible thing for a 5 year old though, in it's own tote

But as the gift was just the bag, and we don't know what the parent's plans are, a bible tote is not inappropriate, just on the surface, not a "good" gift for a 5 year old

*This is aside from my personal belief that a child will attach more value to a quality Bible of their own if it is earned, rather than given as an entitlement-but I realize that may be a more personal outlook

Old 06-02-06, 10:41 AM
I was at a friend's house the other day for their daughter's 5 year old daughter.
huh?

I am agnostic

what's agnostic? is that like atheist?

Old 06-02-06, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
what's agnostic? is that like atheist?
Atheists are generally regarded as those who do not believe in God or gods
Technically the term encompasses both people who assert that there are no gods, and those who make no claim about whether gods exist or not (agnostics)

Agnostics are unconvinced or noncommittal about the existence of God or gods

So yes, technically an agnostic is a type of atheist

However in common usage:
Atheist = There is/are no God/gods
Agnostic = I don't know, I'm not convinced one way or the other

Old 06-02-06, 10:59 AM
thanks, slick......wow, i'm impressed! you got smarts real good, dontcha? is that from one of those there college edumacations? or does it just come nachral?

Old 06-02-06, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately remembering the place where I left my toenail clippers had to be sacrificed for me to remember that
(There's only so much room up there after all)

Now I can no longer fit shoes on my feet because of my 3 7/8" long toenails

Could you please bring me a sandwich?
They won't let me into the Subway Sandwich shop w/o shoes
And I'm pretty hungry

That is the price of knowledge I guess
...hunger

Old 06-02-06, 11:37 AM
you need SHOES?!?! you're talkin' to the right person!!!!

be right there!

Last edited by Annette; 06-02-06 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 02:10 PM
GEEZ Slickshift. You got Annette going on her SHOE thing again. I always thought atheists did not believe in God and Agnostics just didn't care if there was or wasn't a God. Two things I don't argue are religion and politics. Too much to prove EITHER is real.

Old 06-08-06, 01:33 PM
Slickshift, in regards to your toenail problem you could wear sports sandals which are available virtually everywhere that sells shoes and then you could go into the sandwich shop. However, watch out for strange tan lines on your feet. I have known people over the years who claim to be Christian, but will rob you blind if you give them a chance. Also these people will snort coke and smoke weed on an everyday basis if they could afford to.

Old 06-08-06, 01:38 PM
Why can't people let children be children without forcing them go to church or force their beliefs down the kid's throats? After all on Halloween there were some kids in my school who didn't celebrate because of their parents' religious beliefs and they got teased to death and back even though they wanted to dress up in costumes ( which I found out the next day).

Old 06-08-06, 01:59 PM
I have known people over the years who claim to be Christian, but will rob you blind if you give them a chance. Also these people will snort coke and smoke weed on an everyday basis if they could afford to.
Being a Christian does not mean you are perfect.

Old 06-08-06, 02:07 PM
Why can't people let children be children without forcing them go to church or force their beliefs down the kid's throats? After all on Halloween there were some kids in my school who didn't celebrate because of their parents' religious beliefs and they got teased to death and back even though they wanted to dress up in costumes ( which I found out the next day).
So you're saying kids should be like other kids and do what they do b/c it's the "cool" thing to do and the "in" thing? I don't think so!

Old 06-08-06, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are no perfect kids or perfect parents but it behoves us all to strive to do the best we can. I applaud those who [whether right or wrong] try to raise their children to become moral responsible adults. I can only wish that I had done better raising mine and pray that when the time comes they can do better raising theirs.

Old 06-08-06, 03:36 PM
This thread started over a Birthday gift that had religious overtones. The child got a gift, obviously they were happy with it. I would not consider that "stuffing" religion down anyones throat. I let my kids go to the church of their choice. Personally, I feel a lot of them going is for fun and relationships. But, I also feel a little bit of respect is learned also. ANYONE can rip you off. Anyone can smoke grass. People are people and it has nothing to do with religion. Could be worse. Your kids could turn out to be polititions.

Old 06-08-06, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Could be worse. Your kids could turn out to be polititions.
YIKES!!!!

Old 06-09-06, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Or lawyers (most politicians are, go figure).

Search this Thread