Jury Duty

Old 06-09-06, 01:08 PM
Jury Duty

How many times have you been called for jury duty? Within the last 3 years I've gotten 1 every year! Do they keep track of me or something?????!!!!!!!!!! I love the $$$ for it (LOL) but the lines, the people I have to talk to, the sitting and waiting game...I can't stand it! The 1st time I got "let go" b/c I had a good story about being in the same situation with the "convicted", except, I wasn't the convicted and the 2nd time I had to go through the whole trial-only a few days though. Still...I'd rather be at work!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had to report for jury duty this year febuary 3rd did not get picked but I did not get home till 5 and i got there around 8:30AM I was in the waiting pool forever did not get called though I was one of the ones got sent home because they found there jurers.

Old 06-09-06, 02:16 PM
38 years old, registered voter (although never voted ), home owner..........never been called. hard to believe, isn't it?? i'm starting to get a complex......

Old 06-09-06, 02:21 PM
When I was in Ohio, jury duty was picked from registered voters. Florida and Arkansas are by drivers license. I got called (but did not serve) twice in 30 some years. Not at all in Florida and not as yet here. Annette, you SHOULD vote. Otherwise you give up the right to complain when the politicos do stupid things.

Old 06-09-06, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Annette, you SHOULD vote. Otherwise you give up the right to complain when the politicos do stupid things.
sorry......i don't follow politics at all. i know nothing about government. managed to get a high school diploma and a college degree without ever having learned one iota about social studies or history. you wouldn't want me voting......i'd base my decisions on how fashionable their shoes were! when i get in on those football pools, i bet on the teams with the best looking uniforms & color combinations....you'd be surprised how often i win!! then again......maybe the shoe thing might work out after all.....hmmm

Old 06-09-06, 02:57 PM
tae
here they just started using drivers liscence's to pick jurors. you have to call on monday night to see if they want you there tuesday morning. if not, you do that for 3 weeks. If not picked, it's at least a year for they get you again.

Old 06-09-06, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been summoned for jury duty 4 times but never got to go down and see what it is all about. Twice in fla - I was a foreman over a big crew [automaticaly excused] Twice here but as the owner of a small company, again I was automatically excused.

BTW leave it to Annette to link shoes with voting, jury duty & football

Old 06-13-06, 06:16 PM
In CT you can get called every three years. They use two sources to pull your name from: DMV and registered voter list. I have been selected for JD once in the past 14 years. My wife has been called 3 times during that same time period. Both our vehicles are registered in my name so they can only select her from the voter list.

Guess I've been lucky compared to her, depending on your point of view!

Old 06-13-06, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
......i'd base my decisions on how fashionable their shoes were!
You'd be better informed than a lot of people who pull the lever and I'm relatively certain you read and write English fluently.

I've been called once in 7 years. My business partner (residence in the adjacent county) is called EVERY SINGLE YEAR. One of the reasons is that senior citizens over a certain age (70, I believe) are permanently excused, thereby placing a bigger burden on the younger folks. Not a problem in 99% of the counties in the country; but his county has the highest median age in all 50 states, so there a literally thousands of people exempted for no real good reason. Far as I'm concerned, if they can drive a car, they can serve.

Old 06-24-06, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
I've been called for federal jury duty. Now doesn't that sound like fun. I get to drive almost 2 hours each way so I can sit and wait.

Old 06-24-06, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Ouch. Raleigh or Charlotte?

Old 06-25-06, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
It's district court in Winston Salem for the NC central district.

Old 06-28-06, 10:09 AM
Went to jury duty yesterday and sat in the room all day. Boring! I read a book, finished it and went to sleep. In between we got to watch 2 cheesy videos about why we were there and what to expect. Good for 1st timers I guess. It took so long b/c there was a judge on vacation. Hmmm...they should have sent us home and told us to go back the next day. In any case we finally got to the court room, heard everyone's excuses why they can't serve and the judge let them ALL go. I didn't think excuses (or at least dumb ones or lies) were allowed. In any case, I couldn't think of any real dumb excuse so I just sat there. The judge was nice and funny. That was the best part. I think he is a people person and understood how tiring it was to sit there and wait and not wanting to be there. Jury selection didn't even get to start so I'm going back again today. Yipee.

Old 06-28-06, 10:15 AM
That sucks. When I got to jury duty (late becausse the stuped bus droped me off at the wrong court) they were showing the boring video. Never got to the court room.They found the jurers they needed. I got there around 8:45AM did not get home untill 5:30PM and that inculded bus ride time.At least The court gave me a free bus ticket.I never saw the court room. A few breaks and they let the rest of us go we did not have to come back. I should have brong my cigeretes with me to give me somthing to do when I was outside.

Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Went to jury duty yesterday and sat in the room all day. Boring! I read a book, finished it and went to sleep. In between we got to watch 2 cheesy videos about why we were there and what to expect. Good for 1st timers I guess. It took so long b/c there was a judge on vacation. Hmmm...they should have sent us home and told us to go back the next day. In any case we finally got to the court room, heard everyone's excuses why they can't serve and the judge let them ALL go. I didn't think excuses (or at least dumb ones or lies) were allowed. In any case, I couldn't think of any real dumb excuse so I just sat there. The judge was nice and funny. That was the best part. I think he is a people person and understood how tiring it was to sit there and wait and not wanting to be there. Jury selection didn't even get to start so I'm going back again today. Yipee.

Old 06-28-06, 10:21 AM
How could you forget the cigs????

Sounds like you want to serve! It's a good experience 1 time but after so many times it becomes ridiculous when you sit and do nothing. Sometimes it's good when they call you right away. Some days are good, some days bad. We get paid $15 and $0.34/mile, per day. I think that's pretty good considering I still get paid if I'm not at work. Just found out too that we are selected for jury duty by the DMV and voters registers list. Never knew that 'til I watched the video.

Old 06-28-06, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
38 years old, registered voter (although never voted ), home owner..........never been called. hard to believe, isn't it?? i'm starting to get a complex......
Same here except 39. Never have been called. Being in the witness protection program has its perks.

Old 06-28-06, 10:26 AM
DIYaddict How could you forget the cigs????
I was not sure If could bring a lighter into the building but you can cause all the other jurers were.

Sounds like you want to serve!
NEVER

Old 06-28-06, 10:31 AM
oh yeah...you had to take the bus.

We couldn't bring camera phones in the court house either. I left mine in the car. We weren't supposed to bring drinks or food in there either but people did and no one said anything. I find that strange. Rules are rules, aren't they? I had to drink from the drinking fountain b/c I couldn't bring in my bottled water...or so I thought.

Don't worry, you'll get your chance to serve! I KNOW you WANT to! You have a lot of time, you're still young.

Old 06-28-06, 10:40 AM
cambece
Visiting Guest
never have i ever been to jury duty,but my mom and brother said it was a bad time...i think i would like to do it if it was a murder case

Cambece

Old 06-28-06, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by cambece
never have i ever been to jury duty,but my mom and brother said it was a bad time...i think i would like to do it if it was a murder case

Cambece
If I have to serve on a murder case where they show ALL the details Im going to be sick

Old 06-28-06, 10:44 AM
Don't worry, you'll get your chance to serve! I KNOW you WANT to!
NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER

Old 06-28-06, 06:16 PM
tell us.tell us,tells us how did it go

Originally Posted by DIYaddict

Old 06-28-06, 06:31 PM
I'll be back again tomorrow. Another day of sitting and waiting to be called on. The brighter side of things...another $15! Whooo hooo!!!! The prosecutor and defense person ( )-whatever you call them seriously wants a very good jury apparently that they keep asking indepth questions and has a lot of things to say and it's only jury selection! Sure I understand it but this is driving me nuts. They should just boot me out of the court w/out even talking to me b/c I know that's what they'll end up doing anyway!!! If they don't let me go on Thursday,...Friday, Monday and Tuesday there will be no jury duty so I'd have to go back again Wednesday. This is killing me.

I want to go back to work and back on here at doityourself.com DURING work! LOL

Old 06-29-06, 09:03 AM
One of the reasons is that senior citizens over a certain age (70, I believe) are permanently excused, thereby placing a bigger burden on the younger folks. Not a problem in 99% of the counties in the country; but his county has the highest median age in all 50 states, so there a literally thousands of people exempted for no real good reason. Far as I'm concerned, if they can drive a car, they can serve.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone in government was almost on to something there, but they got it backwards................Maybe if they called in ticked off retired folks in to be the jurors these hoodlems wouldnt get off as much, then younger people could be left to work as well !!

Problem solved !!

Old 06-29-06, 04:27 PM
Well DIY do you have to go back? If so whats the case that they have to have a good jury is it a case we saw in the news.

Old 06-29-06, 04:44 PM
I'm free, I'm free, I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief. The defense lawyer made me tear up and cry a bit. He was giving me the 3rd degree b/c I've had experience with what was being accused. I thank God the Judge was so caring and nice that he practically told the defense lawyer to leave me alone. The defense lawyer wanted to cross examine me again. Is that what it's called? The defense gets his turn, then the prosecutor, then the defense again if he wanted to. The judge denied it and he agrued and then they went out of chambers and argued out there. That darn defense lawyer was the meaniest I've ever met! He made me feel like I was the one on trial or something! The guard gave me a tissue, that was nice. The lady next to me called the defense lawyer my shark. She'd say, "Oh, here comes your shark". The other guys behind me really wanted me on to be one of the jurors. The defense lawyer ended up kicking me off. In a way I wanted to serve only b/c he got me upset and I wanted to prove him wrong that I can be fair but in a way I am very glad this whole jury selection is over for me b/c I couldn't take it anymore. I'm free for 12 months! Yipee!

Old 06-29-06, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
If so whats the case that they have to have a good jury is it a case we saw in the news.
There's a man on trial for indecent exposure. BTW, I said I had experience with what was "accused" b/c I've seen 2 men indecently exposing themselves 2 different times when i was a teenager.