Project Motivation

Old 06-15-06, 01:23 PM
Project Motivation

Well I'm just not motivated these days.

anyone got a good motivational speech, or tips to keep going or start back up?

I'm in Chicago, and worked pretty much 6 months worth on my basement over the winter, but once spring hit and the weather broke, I havent done anything in about 3 months or so.

I really want to get back down there and finish. I know for sure the hardest part is out of the way. I have a finished Laundry Room and just about done with the Full Bath, minus the taping and mudding and installation of fixtures.

So long story short, I'm about 40% done with the project and I've learned alot along the way. I am pretty confident that if I put my mind back into I could finish the remaining 60 % in another six months. That is my plan anyway.
with work and life outside of work, I just cant get motivated to get back into it.

Any ideas or motivational speeches would be greatly appriciated.
cheers!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 01:33 PM
Yup! Check out this previous thread...

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...diy+motivation

To finish off on that thread I was kinda sad or upset with Annette's response or replies, etc. but guess what? Her response stayed in my head forever during the day, night, in my dreams and I just couldn't get it out until I finished. So...a few weeks after that thread, I got off my butt and finally finished my bedroom walls and floors. I actually thanked her.

But...with everyone else's response...I felt like I wasn't the only one!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 06-15-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
I have 27 years experience motivating people in my previous life; unfortunately I would get banned if I tried to motivate you right here in public view.

Tow Guy
Master Gunnery Sergeant
U.S.M.C. - Ret.

Old 06-15-06, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
I could fly up there and put my foot up your ... Well maybe that's not the best motivation.

I spent eight years building an airplane in my spare time. It was a hobby so I only did it when I was in the mood. Sometimes I would take several weeks off at a time when I did not feel like staring at aluminum. Then a nasty, rainy day would come along and I'd start back at it and the progress would spurr me on to do more.

About 5-6 years ago I built our new house and that was just suck it up and get it done. 12 hours a day seven days a week for about 10 months. I just gave myself no choice. Wake up, eat breakfast, work, eat lunch, work, eat dinner, sleep like a baby. I made it my job and that was it.

Old 06-15-06, 05:34 PM
I've spent way too many summer nights and days working on properties etc......and I'm still doing it. Those summer times are hard to come by up here in Canada and I'm blowing them by working.

If you don't have to do it....don't. Wait till winter. Go golfing, biking, rollerblading, bbqing etc etc.....

Probably not the motivation you were looking for

Old 06-16-06, 10:10 AM
I've been thinking alot about going back to work in my spare time, but just havent gotten around to do it.

I will, and yes i've been out golfing helping people on theyre home improvement projects, which makes absolutely no sense. If we have any psychologist in the house, I would like to know the theory behind that one.

I help my brother rewire his garage outlet and lighting. I signed up to help out one of my buddies completely remodel his retail office space, and few other projects here and there. All of this outside of my office job.

I'll tell ya, but the list keeps pile'n up at my house.

I think I just need to suck it up and get my a$$ down there. Once I start to see the progress again, that will motivate me to keep going.

any other tips and ideas would be appriciated.

thx everyone for the responses.
smed

Old 06-16-06, 10:22 AM
So you've gone out of your way to help other people (buddies and brother)and they have no idea about your own projects and they don't offer to help you???! (Not to say you want or need help but maybe if they were there, you'd get going) No one goes to your house and says...what is all this???When are you going to get it done???!

Of course you don't have motivation to do your own things b/c you're out golfing! j/k...AND you're helping out others, which is always nice but now it's time for you to help yourself. Get back to it!!! Post a before photo and we'll keep asking ya...how's it going???!!! Then'll you'll feel bad cuz you don't have anything to say if you didn't do anything and maybe you'd get to it. And if you DO have something to say or show....woohoo...mission complete.

Old 06-16-06, 12:43 PM
This makes no sense. My home is more important to me than my buddie's homes. Helping them out is great, but if you are neglecting your home or they don't offer to help you.... What if you sat down, made a list of everything that still needs to be done. Break that down daily into smaller sections of what you should do in order. Even if it's a 15 minute task (rather than a 2 hour one), it will get you back to doing it. Before you know it, it will be something to where you just keep going because you want to see the finished product. Reward yourself with a round of golf....or 5 rounds

Old 06-16-06, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
I know it is cold, but I had to learn how to say "no". I can do about anything so everyone always comes to me with; can you help me with..., can you fix... There are professionals that can do the work but they charge money. Once people find that you have a soft spot will work for free they come running.

I have a many, many tools and everyone always wants to borrow something. Tools can be bought and rented but they want them for free. Rule #1 NEVER lend out a power tool. Rule #2 NEVER let someone borrow something worth more than $20. After hearing; "your welder was in the back of my truck when it started to rain...", and "I think the trailer is fixable...". Most people have good intentions but they sometimes break things that they do not have the money to replace or fix. Well, now I'm a hard butt.
Whenever most people want me to do something I say "I can do it, but I am very expensive and that they could hire a proper plumber or roofer for less money". They don't know if you are serious or joking but it puts the brakes on their "come work for free idea".

Last edited by majakdragon; 06-19-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 04:04 PM
Great tips! Good thing I'm the one asking to borrow tools. It's actually true as I have a miter saw I borrowed and haven't returned yet and it's been 8 months. I'm glad I don't know you Pilot Dane b/c I'd be asking you to help me too but then all I'd get would be a rejection. Boo hoo! Saying no is one of the most tough things to do. It's actually a good thing so to you.

BTW: You said a bad word!

Old 06-16-06, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, saying "no" is tough. I try to make sure I take care of the elderly and throw in a random good deed now and then but I'm pretty strict with those that are looking for a free repair or idiots. I have some friends that I know are good and will help me out when needed so if I feel it's a 50/50 relationship I don't mind helping. It's the folks that always want something but are never around when you need help that I find easier to say "no" to.

I still don't loan out anything. I just like being able to grab a tool when needed and know that it will work and that the blade is still sharp.

Old 06-16-06, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also NEVER give out money you will NEVER get it back. But the good side is that if they know they owe it to you they will never ask again cause they will have to pay you back to get more money

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Yes, saying "no" is tough. I try to make sure I take care of the elderly and throw in a random good deed now and then but I'm pretty strict with those that are looking for a free repair or idiots. I have some friends that I know are good and will help me out when needed so if I feel it's a 50/50 relationship I don't mind helping. It's the folks that always want something but are never around when you need help that I find easier to say "no" to.

I still don't loan out anything. I just like being able to grab a tool when needed and know that it will work and that the blade is still sharp.

Old 06-17-06, 08:29 AM
WOW!

after reading all that I felt something. I do have to post up some pics of where I am currently. And yes, I have to learn how to say NO again, which I used to do when I was deep in the project.

About loaning tools and $$, yep i've learned the hard way already. The one that really sticks in my head is a good friend bought his first house, and after a few weeks he needed a vacuum cleaner, so sure, we just bought a new one, so we said lets help out, we've been in the same situation at one point.
So long story short, I get it back and the on/off switch that works when you press it down with your foot is busted!!
Man was I upset and what did he say,not a word. he said, No I didnt notice anything it worked terrific thanks for letting me use it. Idiot, i had in my mind, he didnt even bother to acknowledge the fact.
So after that, nothing to anyone ever! which is bad because I have to turn people down when the want to borrow something. You cant win being nice in this world, isnt that the biggest shame.
From time to time I'll come across folks with the same respect for other peoples possesions as I do.

so back to my original post, Thanks!! again for your input, and now since it way to hot outside to do anything, even golf, I might just stay cool by working in the basement...we'll see

anyway thanks again...I needed to hear some people going thru the same.

Regards all!
smed

Last edited by majakdragon; 06-19-06 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Also NEVER give out money you will NEVER get it back. But the good side is that if they know they owe it to you they will never ask again cause they will have to pay you back to get more money
Lex! U R absolutely right. If you ever do "lend" money...consider it as giving a gift, not a loan. If you do ever get the money back...count it as a blessing!

Old 06-19-06, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
DIYaddict: That's how I feel at the craps table sometimes: "If you do ever get the money back...count it as a blessing".

Old 06-19-06, 08:36 PM
I just "lent" my son a grand. Maybe I gave him an early BD present (or maybe 10 BDs). I generally expect people to pay me back. I know I pay people back.

Old 06-20-06, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never been big on lending money [don't like to borrow either] Seems like money loaned to acquaintences gets paid back better than money loaned to family. If I had all the money the kids "owe" me, I'm not sure what I would do with it But then if you can't help your kids..........

Old 06-20-06, 09:24 AM
Pilot Dane: That quote is only to be used on loans! Oh wait...but then again, are you getting a loan to play at the crap table??? Lol

I guess there are those that give money back and some that don't. Sometimes whether it's family or not, it's a good thing to not loan people money. We're only enabling them. AND sometimes people don't get the hint. They ask, you say "no". 5 months later, they ask again and you still say "no", etc. What's up with that? Did they 4get they asked already or do they feel "it's a different day...maybe I'll get a yes this time."?

Old 10-25-06, 08:12 AM
Talking I back on the project

THANKS! to everone who chimed in. Sorry I took so long to reply.

I guess I just needed a well deserved break. now that winter is coming along, its couldnt be anymore perfect for me to start up again.
I am back on fully, putting in about 2 hrs a night during the work week, and 6-12hrs combined for both sat and sun.

Thanks again, cya on the flip side.....
smed