Power outage!

Old 06-22-06, 02:21 PM
Power outage!

What would you do at work with power outage???!!! I got to work this morning about 8:30am and we had no power. I was bummed but what can ya do right?

I sat at my desk doing nothing. Missed my morning cup of coffee that's usually ready when I get here. My boss offered to go get breakfast and for a cup of coffee (yipee).

Still sat around doing nothing. Stared out the window. Then, had to go to the bathroom. Luckily we had a candle I could light.

Boss got back and 15 minutes passed while eating. Now what? I started filing things back where they belong. Wiped my desk clean. Refilled the ink in my stamps. Put things away I meant to a long time ago. Now what???!!!! I was going nuts!

Somehow 4 hours passed and I decided to lay my head down on my desk and fell asleep. An hour later (now), the lights, fax and computers came on and woke me up. Finally! Electricity! Made me wonder how I would survive without electricity. Or, how any of us would survive without it. We are strange creatures...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds frustrating. I've never had the power more than blink at work, but my wife's office lost it once in the middle of the afternoon and they just took the rest of the day off.

Old 06-23-06, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Made me wonder how I would survive without electricity. Or, how any of us would survive without it.
We did fine without it for a couple of million years
I think we'd be OK
After all, we've only had it for the last hundred years...well, some of us
A lot of us have had it for a lot less

We'd be able to see the stars better, that's for sure

Old 06-23-06, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Makes us realize how good we have it. I think I could handle not having electricity except when comes to power tools. I don't think I could handle a world without power drills, saws, etc.

Old 06-23-06, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr
I think I could handle not having electricity except when comes to power tools. I don't think I could handle a world without power drills, saws, etc.

I hear you on that one! I watch a show on traditional woodworking and sometimes find myself yelling at the screen that some power tool would do the job better and faster. Then I look around to see if anyone saw me do that.

Old 06-23-06, 09:48 AM
I used to love power outages at work however, we became "wireless". Blackberries (still got my email from customers) and laptops with wifi or air cards. I could work in my car or at a customer's as easily as at my desk.

"Always connected" was a selling feature we pushed. Now that I'm retired, not sure I endorse that concept anymore. I would hate to back in that rat-race. I see my ex-collegues still jumping and taking calls and I think "poor them".

I could live without electricity but I sure don't want to, at least not for very long. One of my brothers is a bit different. He keeps getting his power cut-off for non-pay and will live for months (summer) without power in his house. He says he only goes there to sleep and shower occasionaly. Happy to spend more time in the bar.

A couple tenants have gone without power for short periods. I hate this cause they wreck their fridges with rotten food. I now have Landlord agreements where I pay the power if they get cut-off.

Yah, I don't think I could live happily without power.

Old 06-23-06, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What about the new york city black out AND the 2003 blackout How many of you remember that. For the 2003 black out the power went out around 4PM and did not come back on untill 6PM THE NEXT DAY .It was in the middle of summer too and I was just getting out of bed when the power went out.

Old 06-23-06, 07:15 PM
Wow...that sucks. So what'd you end up doing all that time? Now i don't feel so bad for myself, but I am sure glad that was over with.

Old 06-23-06, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What could I do except mope around the house all day all the stores were closed and after the power came back on it was hard to find milk bread stuff like that. This was a MAJOR POWER OUTAGE it went to many differnt states and even canada.

Old 06-23-06, 07:44 PM
nap
Three (?) years ago i had a tornado cruise through the backyard. I (plus wife and two children) were without power for 5 days. Have well water so no water as well.

It was a PITA but we all survived and REALLY appreciated the hot shower after power was restored.

I live in SW Michigan and very near a large Amish community (Middlebury Indiana). They do not have electricity in thier homes. It is simply a matter of what we are accustomed to doing. We (the English as the Amish refer to outsiders) are geared to using electricity while they are geared to not having it and have alternate means for providing what ever is needed.

One of my favorite stories about the Amish comes from a friend of mine. He told me he was driving down the road and looked over into the hay filed to see a farmer (Amish) laying in the field next to his horse drawn hay bailer. My friend though the man may be injured so he stops and yells over to him. The farmer sits up and says "I'm fine. I was just taking an afternoon nap."

What a life. Sometimes I actually envy the life style, then I realize they do not have computers and the internet etc.. I'll stick with what I have.

BTW: I'm an electrician. There is often no electricity at my jobsites until I am done with my job and ready to head to the next one. Just something one gets used to.

Old 06-23-06, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by nap
BTW: I'm an electrician. There is often no electricity at my jobsites until I am done with my job and ready to head to the next one. Just something one gets used to.
How Ironic

Never thought of that before. Electricians are the ones that don't have AC. I guess you use generators. I've been on a hundred job sites and this is the first time that became obvious.

Old 06-24-06, 04:27 AM
Just general thoughts about power outages. Living in the Florida Keys, the main power is purchased from the mainland. I would say, on average, we lose power about once a Month. Usually it's for a short time, like 20 min. or so. But sometimes it's for a day or two. In the event of a major storm, that's another story. I remember times when we lost power for weeks at a time. Couple that with maybe a bridge washing out, or the road washing away, and you've got a problem. Nothing in or out for weeks, no power, no stores open (or anything left to sell). You get the picture, I'm sure.

But we've learned to cope with it. There is an invention we use called a Generator. We can keep things cold, sometimes run the A/C, power lights to see with, and cook with. We've learned to get along. Good idea to have a supply of gas though.

cuedude

Old 06-24-06, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live in fla and remember the power going off frequently on summer afternoons. Coming home all hot and sweaty, no fan, no ac and no well water to shower in

Since moving to E Tenn it is rare for the power to go out for more than a minute but back in the blizzard of 93 we lost power for 5 days, glad I have a wood stove. Also glad I knew where the firewood pile was, with 3' of snow it would have been hard to find if you didn't know where to look.

BTW on most construction sites we have a temp power pole and run extension cords to the job. Of course the electrician has to come and set the pole before it can be turned on. Also the poor ac men sweat all day and when they get the unit up and running it is time for them to go to the next job.

Old 06-24-06, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
I broke down this year and installed a UPS on the computer; should have done it years ago. Now I don't get a half dozen reboots every afternoon when the daily monsoon thunderstorm rolls through. Also picked up a decent generator that's just waiting for me to do the final connections at the service panel (via switching panel) to be operational. We were only out of power for three days when Charley blew through and that seemed like an eternity.