49cc Blue Dirtdog Scooter!

Old 06-24-06, 06:48 PM
49cc Blue Dirtdog Scooter!

I bought a 49cc Blue Dirt Dog Gas Scooter. Here are the specs bellow…

Powered: Chain Driven
Motor Displacement: 49cc Pull Start Gas
Top Speed: 30 - 32 m.p.h.
Motor type: Air Cooled 2 Stroke (2 Cycle) Single Cylinder
Tank: 1 Liter
Distance on Tank: Approximately 30 mi
Fuel type: Oil/Gas Mix (25 to 1 Ratio)
Drive Train: Centrifugal (Automatic)
Weight Capacity: 400 lbs
Scooter Weight: 30 lbs
Throttle: Handgrip Style (Motorcycle)
Adjustable/Removable seat: Yes
Brakes: Front/Rear Disk
Tires: 9” X 3.5” Air Filled
Kick stand: Yes
Rear Reflector
Colors: Black, Red, Silver, Green, and Blue

This scooter actually weighs more than what is stated in the specs. The scooter weighs 50 pounds and so the shipping is 60 dollars through Fedex. When I opened the box, I noticed that it all was packaged very well. I got everything out of the box and saw all the things that needed assembled. The instructions manual is next to useless so I had to figure out how to assemble it myself. I had to install the front wheel, the seat, the gas tank, and fold up the handlebars. The bolt mounts for the gas tank were not aligned so I had to work it quite a bit to mount the gas tank.

The back tire was already on the bike but it was flat. Your thinking to yourself, well, just pump it up, well, easier said then done. One side of the wheel had the chain sprocket on it and the other side of the wheel had the disk break system. The inflator stem was on the inside of the wheel on the disk break side. Because of this, I could not get my compressor tire chuck in there to pump it up, nor could I get my new sport tire pump in their. Well, thankfully I kept my dads old tire pump which has a smaller fitting on the end of the hose and this allowed me to barely get it in there enough to pump up the tire. These tires take 35 PSI and I had my brother pump in 30 PSI then I had him keep pumping while I was trying to get the chuck back off the stem.

The next thing I had to do is tighten down all the nuts, bolts, and screws cause the unit comes to you with all of them loose. The manual and people on the internet all recommend using lock-tight to help secure them cause of the excessive vibration. This is a good thing because the carb was without a doubt loose causing an airleak. It says in the manual to mix gas at a 25:1 ratio for the break in period and then you can go to a 32:1 ratio. A reminder to those who are beginners to new engines, do not run your engine at full throttle during the break in period. Instead, use half throttle or less so you do not blow your engine.

Now I got the gas mixed and filled up the fuel tank on my scooter. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was at low idle. This scooter has a centrifugal clutch so it will not move at low idle. When I gave it throttle, I was like WOW!!! This sucker really scoots, hence the name scooter. Pat Robertson would really like this scooter because it really shakes the hell out of ya when you are on a rough road! One thing I noticed when I was really accelerating from a stop is that the chain was missing on the sprocket so I had to tighten the chain and that fixed the problem. I was happy that it was just the chain missing cause I thought the centrifugal clutch was defective.

I bought the blue version of this scooter and I got a trunk for it. This thing is so freaken awesometastic!!! This scooter is too fast for wimps! I will get my own pics posted soon...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-06, 11:30 PM
Is it street legal? 2 stroke makes it noisy?

Old 06-25-06, 05:22 AM
nap
I really must be getting old. The thought of riding that thing at 30 mph scares the hell out of me...............

where can I get one

Old 06-27-06, 07:45 AM
Here is me having fun on my new scooter! Enjoy the video and please make a comment about it as it took me a while to make. Some framerate is lossed due to editing.

Scooter Dog

Old 06-27-06, 08:29 AM
You are too much man.

Old 06-27-06, 10:30 AM
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Guess what happened? There is a spacer that goes between the carb and the engine. The spacer has two philips head screws. One of the philips screws broke in half in the screw hole! So now I can't ride this thing and for the heck of me, I don't know how I am going to get the other half out of the screw whole! What do I do? I am freaking out already, 289 purchase for this? :shock:

And to make matters worse, I just locked myself out of the house and I did not have my keys with me, crap!

Old 06-27-06, 01:20 PM
Update...

I bought a screw extractor and removed the broken screw and installed a new one. I am back up and running!

Am I that much Mattison? Hey, if you can go fast, why not do it?

Old 06-27-06, 08:47 PM
tae
check out one I built and sold:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SUAA%3AUS%3A11
I actually thought about adding flamethrowers to the exhaust! lol
My 11 year old has a 43cc razorback and the takeoff torque is great, but mine blows it away. We were jumping ramps and I bent his frame.Thank the scooter gods i have a welder.!
They are superfun though. My next project is a 49cc modified bike.

Old 06-27-06, 08:54 PM
tae
If you open up the airflow to the carb, open up the exhaust flow at your pipe, and check to see if there is a carb governer or stop, and take that off, then you will feel the power! Also, alot of affordable high perf mods out there. Each one can add 3 - 6 miles an hour, which seems like 20 when you are riding the thing. I always run my oil/gas at 30 to 1. remember the oil is your only lubrication.

Last edited by tae; 06-27-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 12:59 PM
You have a very neat looking scooter Tae! I can see that you have done some major mods to it! I can get a velocity stack mod for my intake. Thanks for sharing! The ending bid was $305.00 and it says the reserve is not met! What was your reserve set to? $400.00 Tell me how long you worked on the scooter project? My guess is you were having allot of fun doing it...

Old 06-28-06, 03:54 PM
tae
actually my reserve was 500, cause if the reserve isnt met, you save 30 buck listing fee. I sold it for 400. i worked off and on for a month or so, and did alot of scooter forum reading. I had a love /hate thing with it while building it, then i finally got to ride it and I loved it. I'd ride it everywhere if i could. My next project is going to be a 24 inch mountain bike that i'm going to mount a 49cc motor to using the standard bike chain,with a 12 inch rear wheel, take the pedals off and put on a deck , and keep the gears! That thing should smoke! I'll try to post a pic when I get it done. I think people who have never ridden a scooter don't quite get it. 30 mph seems like 100, and can really get your heart a thumpin.