who hates cheap mountian bikes?

Old 06-26-06, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
who hates cheap mountian bikes?

I do There a pieace of junk.The cheap brand I got started falling apart after a month of use from 6th gear falling off to 5th gear stripped to 3rd gear slipping and the front derailer shifting when I don't want it to and now the back don't shift at all.I went to first gear and the derailer jamed into the spoke breaking the shifting cable and one of the spokes.I had both breaks fixed and the guy at the repair shop said these bikes are not a good brand and I agree.Thats what I get for buying a bike at a major department store.I will NEVER do that again. I still have it cause its the only bike I have and can not afford a new one right now.I've had this bike for about 3years.

Last edited by mattison; 06-27-06 at 07:18 AM. Reason: No brand bashing please.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 07:08 AM
When you have a bike there is routine maintenance that you need to do, such as adjust the shifter cables, and brake cables, and yes there is other bikes out that don't need the attention as much. But if you talk to guys with $1000 or more bikes they almost always check and adjust all the cables every time they ride.

As for why people say department store brands are junk, this is because they are heavy over all, don't have sealed bearings, the rims(are single walled, heavy, and weak), and don't get the energy you put into them efficiently to the ground so it takes more effort from you to pedal. And usually come with plastic pedals that break if you drop it on its side.

Last edited by mattison; 06-27-06 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-27-06, 07:21 AM
These bikes have there place. In a dumpster Just kidding.

Like the old saying. You get what you pay for. If you spend $80 bucks on a bike, don't expect much. You would think that the $6 dollar an hour guy that put it together could have done a better job.

Save your money and at least buy a good used quality bike next time.

Old 06-27-06, 11:13 AM
i'm surprised you haven't found a better one for free sitting out on the curb with someone's trash, during one of your lawnmower treasure hunts!

Old 06-27-06, 11:39 AM
I don't have the time to fix bikes and there to bulky and heavy to carry even if I was on foot. I don't want to miss with them My dad got me this bike a few years ago and it started falling apart about a month later and it was on sale for about 80 bucks they did not have any left on the shelf but had one in the back room all set except for air.

Originally Posted by Annette
i'm surprised you haven't found a better one for free sitting out on the curb with someone's trash, during one of your lawnmower treasure hunts!

Old 06-27-06, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
it started falling apart about a month later
that's when you should've taken it back. you probably still had your receipt then. they most likely would've refunded your money or exchanged it.

Old 07-23-06, 02:25 AM
Well another part of the bike fell apart. The supension. Theres a spring that covers a shaft that moves in and out as the back swing arm moves (this bike is a soft tail) well the rod came unscrewed from the swing arm.So everytime I lifted the bike the swing arm would just hang.I had to take the WHOLE thing apart to re-atach it then re-tighten the spring its holding for now.