Thunder storms

Old 06-27-06, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thunder storms

I like them ONLY during the day at night they scare me (don't ask why I don't know).Don't you hate the loud thunder thats shakes the whole house and your cats and dogs jump a foot cause right after that the power goes out.They say when theres a thunder storm and you have a cat and a dog who's the first under the bed.The fork lightning scares me (you know the kind that goes from the sky to the ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I enjoy thunder storms but my wife is scared of them if they get too close. About a month ago we had a very loud thunder clap, I knew it was near but not how near. It struck a fence post at my neighbors across the holler. Almost blew the post out of the ground. Blew pieces of sod onto his roof but the big damage was where it got into the satelite cable and blew out 2 TVs, 1 computer and their telephone.

BTW I prefer storms at night - I prefer to be outside when I can during the day

Old 06-27-06, 02:22 PM
I try to find a dry spot during thunderstorms and admire the lightning. Love seeing something that will never be the same twice. Always count by 1000 when I see the lightning to the sound of the thunder to see how many miles away it is. 1 mile per second is pretty close to average.

Old 06-27-06, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
I try to find a dry spot during thunderstorms and admire the lightning. Love seeing something that will never be the same twice. Always count by 1000 when I see the lightning to the sound of the thunder to see how many miles away it is. 1 mile per second is pretty close to average.
Yep I like to do all that too. I remember my great grandfather teaching me the counting method. I like them better at night so you can see the nice zig zag paterns. Just last week I was sitting where I am now during a thunderstorm and heard this terrific boom. Sounded like an artillery shell landed a few feet from me. Sure enough I looked around outside after the rain stopped and lightning had hit the chimmy of a neighbor across the street. Blew it to smitheens brick, liner and all. A 90 plus old lady lives there must have scared the heck out of her.

Old 06-27-06, 04:59 PM
I like them only during the day cause at night you don't know whats going on I hate waking up in the middle of the night to sonic booms.

Old 06-27-06, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
I love seing thunderstorms off in the distance when flying. Being up in the clear and seing a whole line of storms a hundred miles away is really beautiful especially at night when you can see the clouds light up from top to bottom.

I hate being caught out in the toy car (convertible) and having to drive down our driveway in a raging thunderstorm. Our driveway is really long and totally exposed through the center of a field (no trees, no power lines, nothing) at the top of the hill. That flimsy rag top just does not give you a safe feeling when the car is being rocked by the thunder.

Old 06-27-06, 05:51 PM
rpt
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Always count by 1000 when I see the lightning to the sound of the thunder to see how many miles away it is. 1 mile per second is pretty close to average.
Speed of sound is roughly 1000 ft/sec. That means that it takes about 5 seconds per mile.

Old 06-27-06, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by rpt
Speed of sound is roughly 1000 ft/sec. That means that it takes about 5 seconds per mile.
well if we're going to split hairs.. It's closer to 750 MPH meaning closer to 4 seconds. Hell I don't know lol

Old 06-27-06, 10:52 PM
I love them. My whole family does. We will all get up and sit in the garage and watch the lighting or rain.

Old 06-28-06, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
I love them. My whole family does. We will all get up and sit in the garage and watch the lighting or rain.
Not me I sit in the house and wait for it to end.

Old 06-28-06, 10:25 AM
I go straight for the deck and smoke a cigar while watching the wonderful show.

Old 06-28-06, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Not me I sit in the house and wait for it to end.
Yup, me too. I'm chicken. I can't sleep.

Old 06-28-06, 05:16 PM
rpt
Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
well if we're going to split hairs.. It's closer to 750 MPH meaning closer to 4 seconds. Hell I don't know lol
4.8 seconds to be precise
But if it's that close, I give someone else the golf umbrella, and I go inside and drink beer.

Old 07-02-06, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
A little topical reading from......The Lightning Capital of the World.

http://www.lightningcapitaloftheworld.com/

Old 07-05-06, 03:12 AM
Thunderstorms

I love them, that means rain, we have been in a drought for the last 7 years, we got rain the other night so I went out side and stood in the rain and enjoyed it so much because I am a farmer and we needed the rain so bad. The thunder and lighting was awsome but I did not run for cover.

Old 07-14-06, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Yup, me too. I'm chicken. I can't sleep.

ditto! i PRAY for them to end, and QUICKLY! the loud thunder claps startle me, but the WIND truly scares me. i'm so afraid the wind will blow out the windows. i always thought it was probably impossible until my mom told me about her friend's daughter having that really happen to her! their bed was right under a window and during a really bad storm (at night, with them in bed, of course), it exploded inward & glass went everywhere (i think - is that possible?) & everything got water damaged. thanks, mom, for that wonderfully inspirational & comforting story!!!! ~NOT!

also, during a recent week of storm after storm for days, we discovered that our gutters were completely full & stopped up, so the rain was pouring over the side of the gutter, running down the siding, directly over a door, getting into the wall & leaking out the top of a window in our finished basement!

now, i HATE rain & storms more than ever!!!

Old 07-14-06, 12:40 PM
I love thunder/lightning storms. Sit on the porch and watch them (if the wind isn't blowing the rain sideways). Lightning is the best to watch and take photos of. I was bummed a few days ago... the sky looked as if a thunder storm was about to happen and...nothing.

Old 07-15-06, 07:55 PM
I enjoy the storms myself. Course my basement does not flood like a neighbors who lives a street away. Heck, even my two Goldens enjoy them with me. Thankfully neither have ever been bothered by thunder. But my older one is terrified of fireworks. Whenever he hears them he runs to be on top of the nearest piece of furniture. How he knows the difference between the thunder and fireworks I'll never know.

Old 07-16-06, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always enjoyed mother natures electrical show but yesterday afternoon there was a lightning bolt that really got my attention. I never saw it [I was in my shop] but I got a sensation like maybe all my hair was standing on end, immediatetly followed by the loudest thunder I remember. I went out and looked but nothing was smoking so I guess it didn't hit anything but man it sure got my attention.

Old 07-16-06, 06:47 AM
I got a sensation like maybe all my hair was standing on end, immediatetly followed by the loudest thunder I remember.
Mark - I had the same sensation years ago. It's the only time I can ever remember being scared in a thunder storm. We were fishing in the Keys about 30 miles offshore when a squall came up. We were trying to run around it (we were the highest thing around for miles with metal outriggers sticking up in the air) when one of those huge lightning and instant thunder claps went off. I swear you could taste it. I don't know if we got hit, we didn't find any damage but it probably scared 10 years off of me.

Old 07-16-06, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
It's the only time I can ever remember being scared in a thunder storm.
I'm not normally scared of lightning either but it made me jump - and I didn't even see the flash.

Old 07-17-06, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
If you see the flash or hear the thunder, it missed you.