Who loves fireworks

Old 06-28-06, 10:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who loves fireworks

Ok since the 4th or july is coming who is going out of town and whos staying also who is going to be setting off fire works also what fireworks laws do you have in you state? Here in michigan the law is "if it leaves the ground or makes a loud bang its illegal". But that don't stop people one year I got 2 packages of fire works (buy 1 get 1 free) and they had bottle rockets and fire crackers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
I have come to hate fireworks because three of my neighbors are prone to lighting them off any time day or night or season of the year. My dog hates them more than I.

Old 06-29-06, 08:02 AM
I love fireworks! I hate when they come in my yard or on my roof. That scares me. Last year I kept an eye on my house to make sure it wouldn't catch fire. I'll be with my relatives but no vacation or anything. We can do fireworks in our city, but drive to the hills and you can't. Some cities allow it and some don't. Never stops them though! You're right about that Lex...and you're one of 'em!

Over 15 years ago at my parent's house (fireworks are illegal there) the neighbors wanted to do fireworks so they all came to the front of my parent's house and did them. Before 11pm or so we were done. Next thing you know it, a big firetruck came and since the evidence was left in front of my parent's house, they came knockin' on the door. We were just givin' a warning but we learned our lesson - Never do fireworks in front of our own house...do it somewhere else.

Old 06-29-06, 11:11 AM
but that dont' stop them...And your one of them
Yea I am If we had a why to drive down to ohio and buy a bunch of illegal fireworks we would but can't aford to rent a car not since we will be renting one to go to canada for vaction.

Go to the hills and you can't
Not just there but if you live within a mile or 2 of a airport or selfridge internationel guard base you can't shoot them off because the its a hazzard to planes.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 06-29-06 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 01:52 PM
When I lived in Ohio, everyone went to Michigan to buy fireworks. Problem was, they were lazy and stopped at the first stand they saw. State Troopers watched these places and got you for illegal transportation of explosives (vehicle must be marked with proper signs) when you re-entered Ohio. Here in Arkansas, we have all kinds of fireworks and you have no problem unless a neighbor calls in about it.

Old 06-30-06, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
When I lived in Ohio, everyone went to Michigan to buy fireworks. Problem was, they were lazy and stopped at the first stand they saw. State Troopers watched these places and got you for illegal transportation of explosives (vehicle must be marked with proper signs) when you re-entered Ohio. Here in Arkansas, we have all kinds of fireworks and you have no problem unless a neighbor calls in about it.
Well stop being lazy and go deeper into the state where the troopers arent watching.That sovles that problem.

Old 06-30-06, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Up until three years ago I had my ATF license and a big piece of land with a storage magazine for my "little toys". I would shoot the fireworks for our town and for our July 4th parties. Ahh what fun... it's not a party without the police and fire department.

At one of our parties I set off many, many strings of 10'000 firecrackers to get things started. I had them strung from cables between the trees to hold them high overhead for better sight & sound. It was a deafening roar that never stopped. It was sort of cool for the first ten minutes but then I lit the other end and finally got the sting lit in several other spots to speed things up. It finally went out after half an hour. Never did that again.

I love pinwheels, sparklers and of course big mortars. It is funny that I have almost as much fun with a sparkler as I do the big guns. You can have fun and drink a beer with the sparklers. The big mortars are another matter altogether. It's not a light giggly fun but that low thump literally takes your breath away and brings a smile to my face.

Old 06-30-06, 06:36 PM
nap
I always enjoy a good show. Apparently everybody around me does as well. It is very evident since the law in Indiana recently legalized most fireworks. (I live at the state line but in Michigan).

The cops tend to get fairly lenient around this time.
---------------------------
When I was a kid though we had industrial grade fieworks. Dad would bring home a 6 gallon bucket of magnesium shavings. For those that do not know, magnesium is a metal that actually burns. It burns very hot and very bright white.

We would have a pile and light it up. Toss some water on it (water does not extinguish a magnesium fire, it makes it much more intense) and stand wwaaaayyyy back.

Our noise maker was a cannon fashioned from a 4 inch (diameter) rigid pipe welded to a piece of I-beam. Fill that up with oxyegen -acetylene mix and light it off. It was enough to make your ears ring and would shoot a ball a hunded yards easy.

and the sparklers; dad would bring home these 3 foot long things that you actually got tired of as they took so long to burn.

Old 07-01-06, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by nap
When I was a kid though we had industrial grade fieworks. Dad would bring home a 6 gallon bucket of magnesium shavings. For those that do not know, magnesium is a metal that actually burns. It burns very hot and very bright white.

We would have a pile and light it up. Toss some water on it (water does not extinguish a magnesium fire, it makes it much more intense) and stand wwaaaayyyy back.

Our noise maker was a cannon fashioned from a 4 inch (diameter) rigid pipe welded to a piece of I-beam. Fill that up with oxyegen -acetylene mix and light it off. It was enough to make your ears ring and would shoot a ball a hunded yards easy.

and the sparklers; dad would bring home these 3 foot long things that you actually got tired of as they took so long to burn.
Some dangerous stuff you did as a kid there nap!

Old 07-01-06, 07:14 AM
We usually run over to Indiana and get $400 -$500 bucks worth and have a great time.

My favorite would have to be mortors.

Old 07-01-06, 07:16 AM
nap
Originally Posted by mitch17
Some dangerous stuff you did as a kid there nap!
In retrospect, ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

All 5 of the kids as well as mom and dad survived everything with no loss of life or limb. We did not "play" without concern for safety so these things were not done with reckless disregard but did observe safe practices while doing them.

The acts themselves may have been unsafe, but we performed them safely. Maybe that is why I am now an electrician. It in itself is considered to be a very dangerous occupation. (number 7 on Forbes (I knew I would make a Forbes list someday) as a member of the collective listing of construction workers and number 7 on Money's list as electrical power installers).

While I may perform dangerous work, I do so in a safe manner.

Old 07-01-06, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by nap
I always enjoy a good show. Apparently everybody around me does as well. It is very evident since the law in Indiana recently legalized most fireworks. (I live at the state line but in Michigan).

The cops tend to get fairly lenient around this time.
---------------------------

Hi Nap,

I know all too well what magnesium is, and how it burns. When I was a kid, my Father was a Helicopter pilot. You may know, Helicopters are made of Magnesium. Back in the late 50's, when my Dad was catching up on his Collage, he had a Professor tell him that Magnesium did not burn. Well, you can imagine the argument this started, after Dad had lost several friends to fires in the early days of Helicopters. Dad did however pass the course, got his digree, and all ended well. But Dad never forgot that incident.

Roger

Old 07-01-06, 06:25 PM
nap
Actually most people that watch fireworks have seen mag burn. The bright white flares are often mag.

Another thing that many do not know is that aluminum can be as dangerous.

It will also burn if heated high enough (the WTC situation showed this to many) but in powder form it can be explosive.

Thermite is simply aluminum and iron oxide. Here is a video of a few "experiments" to demo thermite.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43493488769585

These guys make their own style of fireworks.