Any good reference material on people who are cursed/jinxed with health?

Old 06-30-06, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any good reference material on people who are cursed/jinxed with health?

This thread is not a joke. I am serious. This could be a fascinating subject read for anyone trying to figure out why some people seem so blessed. Some are very beautiful, perfect shape, no moles, perfect teeth, beautiful thick hair and/or a real ful beard/body hair, everything goes their way, riches and happiness. Love, marriage, beautiful kids, et al.

Then there is the tenant I was talking with today. Years ago she had a car accident. They put her leg back together with nickel screws. She was alergic to internal nickel and nobody knew it. Her mends did not take. She was in much pain and required many surgeries including being down on her leg for one whole year with one of those skewer rod-halo devices, with ooze coming out the holes. Then she developed pain in her back and was on pain medication. It was so severe and required so much pain killer that she needed an operation to install a pain dispensing pump under the skin (just as doctors do pacemakers). The doctor goofed and the pump started digging into internal organs and she needed another surgery to reposition it. Then she had a heart attack due to an embolism. Now she said the other day she had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance because she couldn't figure out how to do a mudane task and felt wierd. They diagnosed her by MRI (or whatever) and found her lungs full of tiny pulmonary embolisms and she almost died. For the last 7 years or so (I believe she is 48 years old), she has basicaly lived out of a hospital/operating room.

I want to read up on other such people with such bad luck and see if there is anything to this bad luck, in my mind. I asked her if she is 'right with god'. She said she thinks so. She tries to live a good life and puts her family in front of herself. Yet, something in me says that this is all beyond coincidence. Oh...I forgot to tell you that how she discovered she was allergic to the nickel screws was when she was out at the lake and she was walking along with her kids and her leg just shattered as if it were made of eggshells and down she came. THAT is when they had to peice her leg together with that halo contraption and allow about 2 inches of new bone to grow. Oh..and did I tell you that she had to be operated on again for them to rebreak her leg, twice, over time, to have her crooked healing leg to grow straight? And did I mentionthat jsut a couple days after she got out of the hospital she totaled out her car (I am not making this up) by no fault of hers when someone stopped over the crest of a hill to stop and help pick debris up in the road? And did I tell you that the day before this very recent accident she just had a new radiator installed and during the crash it took out her new radiator? I am not kidding. This is just unreal.

Then there was my next door neighbor. He was older, but had cancer, strokes, heart attacks, diabetes and other stuff. Unbelievable.

Or how about the lady who hit a deer and totaled her hood and her roof and had the body shop fix it, (at some cost of over $1500) and one week later on the same stretch of road she hit another deer that did the same identical damage all over again.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-06, 07:08 PM
nap
[QUOTE=DaVeBoy]This thread is not a joke. I am serious. This could be a fascinating subject read for anyone trying to figure out why some people seem so blessed. Some are very beautiful, perfect shape, no moles, perfect teeth, beautiful thick hair and/or a real ful beard/body hair, everything goes their way, riches and happiness. Love, marriage, beautiful kids, et al.

QUOTE]

Dave, you seem to be a very happy guy but you must be very lonely. Don;t take that wrong. I enjoy reading your posts. You seem to have a great outlook on life and that's cool. You just come up with the strangest posts.

I would like to remind you of Bill Gates. You speak of the "beautiful people" and their success. Take a look at Bill and you will see that it;s not neccessarily beautiful people that are successful (look him up on the net for his younger pictures. He was a "geek" in every sense.).

It's not that I'm knocking religion in ones life or that I am trying to dissuade anybody from living with "karma" in mind but I think financial success has more to do with personal self worth and a positive attitude and a willingness to work your a** off. While there are some who get lucky or inherit their money, I believe hard work is the main reason for financial wealth. Most truly wealthy people I know are workaholics. They enjoy their work as much as a junkie enjoys their crack. The lives of their partners are often affected similarly as well. Partners and children are often ignored or relagated as unneccesary or an obstruction to their way of life.

Concerning the bad luck thing. I wonder myself sometimes what may influence luck. As you say, some folks seem to be the recipient of "bad luck" much more than others. It does make me wonder why the lady hit 2 deer, same place, same damage.

I tend not to believe that God is actually influencing things like this. I believe he is simply waiting for us to do what we choose to do and then will judge us accordingly at the appropriate time.

I tend to think that while some decisions tend to affect our health smoking, drinking, drugs, sex with diseased partners, etc.) I believe a lot of what we notice is simply sensationalism. Sensationalism comes in to play in the same way that everybody always says "all the newpapers print is bad news". Bad or horrific news sells papers. It also gets your attention because it is not the norm. Your neighbor and the other two you mention are also not the norm so they stand out in your eyes. Take a minute and think about how many people you know that are just simply, average. Average health, average success, average looks. They make up the bulk of society but are largely ignored because they are average.

As with all things, for us to percieve somebody to be rich, we have to realize that some people are poor. For us to even recognize beauty, we must also see ugly people. (BTW: beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I find myself very unattractive but my wife, kids, and others find me to be just the opposite)

To understand health, we have to have infirmity.

Simply put, we can't have good without bad. We just notice extremes of either more than we do the averages. Realize though that "average" is what most of society is. There are a lot more "average" people than there are extremes either way.

Old 07-01-06, 12:27 AM
My friend seams to be cursed although not as bad as the person in your post. Hes about 55 give or take and on SSD. he has only HALF a brain because one half was too damaged from drugs when he was younger.He also has a metal plate in his head. A leg brace.He has a hole in the roof of his mouth when he jabe a spoon in it to get air when he was having a sezur.Have you ever seen someone have a sezur.Now picture yourself having one and being AWAKE during it and having no controll over your body.He was awake during one of them.He crashed a car into a tree cause he had one behind the wheel.He also has had a lot of cars go dead 3 within this year.Also a month ago he had to get the metal plate in his head fixed cause he had some screws loose and the plate was coming loose.He slamed into the side of a door frame almost knocked himself out.When he was ont he floor he did not move because he did not know where the stairs are at. He did not know if they were in front, back ,left or right of him.He has almost no money he works at a bar as a bathroom atendent working ONLY for tips and what he can sell. They use to pay him but them wanted to fire him and he said just let me work for tips.Also he almost lost his dog.The vet said his kidnees were failing and wanted to put him down but my friend said no and they gave him some meds for the dog and he seams to be doing fine.Now for my friend to replace the metal plate in his head they had to (I think) cut the top of his head off and remove the old plate and replace with a new plate.(not fun).

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-01-06 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
What you're referring to is known as coincidence or random chance, be it the genetics you receive from your parents or the events in which you are involved throughout your life.

Last edited by stickshift; 07-02-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 07:08 AM
I know what you're saying Dave. I feel I'm one of those in the middle type. An equal amount of good comes with the bad. Usually seems more good than bad. But I've run across many people in my life that are on one of the sides to an extreme. They're either allergic to everything and always sick and falling down steps and blundering their projects or everything they touch turns to gold. I feel good being in the middle.

Old 07-01-06, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison
. I feel I'm one of those in the middle type. An equal amount of good comes with the bad. Usually seems more good than bad. I feel good being in the middle.
I think that is where most of us are. A lot depends on your attitude. If you dwell on the bad stuff you are likely to be depressed but with a positive outlook you can enjoy life even if the bad out weighs the good. If you look you can always find someone worse off than yourself.

Old 07-01-06, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
What you're referring to is known as coincidence or random chance, be it the gentics you receive from your parents or the events in which you are involved throughout your life.
First I'd like to thank Nap for a real excellent intelligent post.

Then to lexmarx who also told of an odd story.

And to you Mitch...yes, one could be pragmatic about this and write it off as coincidence. But there comes a point where one starts to wonder. And it is the wondering that interests me enough to try to find some publication, book, internet site, or whatever, where this topic is discussed, and many stories ofmy case's magnitude or perhaps even worse, are brought up.

I am also interested in irony. A classic ironic case is the Vietnam vet story where the soldier was a decorated verteran for throwing himself in harms way and saving an entire platoon. He himself comes through virtually unscathed. Only to return to the states and a week later is killed in a car accident. (Sort of shoots a hole in the theory that God was watching out for him in Vietnam.)

I think all such human interest stories would make a great read. Then one could better judge if there is any 'karma' going on or not, or if it is mere coincidence. However, I suppose there would be no real proof either way.

Old 07-01-06, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
I know what you're saying Dave. I feel I'm one of those in the middle type. An equal amount of good comes with the bad. Usually seems more good than bad. But I've run across many people in my life that are on one of the sides to an extreme. They're either allergic to everything and always sick and falling down steps and blundering their projects or everything they touch turns to gold. I feel good being in the middle.
I think in the middle are people that have problems, to one degree for another. You hear this mentioned, but often times don't believe it when you watch VH1 or MTV that show America's youth living the life of riley...living in sin and enjoying every minute of it. Both the guys and gals are pretty 'hot'. There are even shows where they show some of these young adults engaging in real risky behavior, confronting their fears or even confronting dangerous situations (like those two nincs on that show called Jackass, is it?) And nothing happens to these guys.

Yet in the real everyday mudane world most people live in, unfortunate things happen to people. And LOTS of them.

So for the fun of it, I started running through the addreses in my neighborhod one by one.

At the first place is some woman who has had about 6 surgeries on her legs in hopes of saving them, and her legs look like toothpicks. She does have her legs...still.

Next to her is an eldery husband who used to be a hard worker but now is riding a motorized scooter and he has had strokes and heart attacks and has some other issues.

Next to him is my 72? year old neighbor that would have blood pressure over 200 if it wasn't for his medication and he lives alone and never wants anything to do with a woman again, and he has a reclusive son by that 5 year marriage. He (the neighbor) never has company, yet through an open window I hear him constantly on a telephone.

Then there is me. I have things wrong with me and my life, but I will spare you.

Then next to me is a 51 year old husband/father of many who, out of the blue, had a pain in his foot and his foot swelled up. Then his elbow. He went to the clinic and they sent him home. The areas enlarged and reddend and after all was said and done, he was in the hospital saving him from diabetes augmented cellulitis that caused infection to rage in his body and he could have lost his foot and even died! His hospital bill is like $40,000.

Next to him is a husband in his 60's who mows his lawn like a tortoise because he has cancer and can't breathe right. His wife had two heart attacks and finally had to give up smoking for ggod after she didn't get the message the first time. She was only in her 50's.

Across the street from him, just today, twin brothers live together and the ambulance came for the one that does not have cancer (riddled with it...liver...lungs...shouldeer...brain... and has weeks or months to live) and a metal plate in his head. It came for the 'good one' who also has a history of bp issues and heart attacks.

Then down a couple doors is this husband/father who can't work because his back is rotting away on him. He already had one fusement surgery and isn't going in for another. He walks around with a cane or walker sometimes and is on assistance.

Another husband/father down the way had to move and get into a different style house because he too has a degenerative spine condition that is inherited and his obese sister has the same thing and the outlook is grim, over the long haul.

Etc.

It makes you wonder what the good Lord was thinking when he planned this whole thing out that so many are living a life of misery. But that one woman whose story I told seems quite over the top.

Old 07-01-06, 10:10 PM
Are some people lucky or unlucky? I've seen a few hard working, decent living people get unlucky but not many lazy people with indifferent lifestyles get lucky.

Insurance companies make piles of money understanding predictable outcomes and absorbing the odd aberation.

Sure on occasion something strange or ironic happens but don't think its some weird phenomomen. Its a big world we live in with a gazillion people doing differnent things every day. Odds are that something will happen out of the norm.

Fate is fate but mostly outcomes are fairly predictable. Get a trade/degree etc and chances are that you will have money and a decent life....not always but your chances are better. Live healthy and chances are you will live better.

Yes exceptional people with brains or looks do have more opportunities. Why would that be surprising?

Consistenly lucky people don't rely soley on luck.

Its like Al MacInis (hockey defenseman). People said he was lucky to have a God given talent to shoot the puck. Made millions of dollars. His perception was that he developed his "God given talent" by shooting 500 pucks every day for ten years.

Luck is generally man-influenced but of course there are times when fate kicks in and throws a wrench into the works. Its bound to happen on occasion but don't bet on it.

On average, my lucky niche is pretty normal. Not rich, not real poor. If I wanted more luck......I could change my life but I think I'm lucky to just hover around average.

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-02-06 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-02-06, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Are some people lucky or unlucky? I've seen a few hard working, decent living people get unlucky but not many lazy people with indifferent lifestyles get lucky.

Insurance companies make piles of money understanding predictable outcomes and absorbing the odd aberation.

Sure on occasion something strange or ironic happens but don't think its some weird phenomomen. Its a big world we live in with a gazillion people doing differnent things every day. Odds are that something will happen out of the norm.

Fate is fate but mostly outcomes are fairly predictable. Get a trade/degree etc and chances are that you will have money and a decent life....not always but your chances are better. Live healthy and chances are you will live better.

Yes exceptional people with brains or looks do have more opportunities. Why would that be surprising?

Consistenly lucky people don't rely soley on luck.

Its like Al MacInis (hockey defenseman). People said he was lucky to have a God given talent to shoot the puck. Made millions of dollars. His perception was that he developed his "God given talent" by shooting 500 pucks every day for ten years.

Luck is generally man-influenced but of course there are times when fate kicks in and throws a wrench into the works. Its bound to happen on occasion but don't bet on it.

On average, my lucky niche is pretty normal. Not rich, not real poor. If I wanted more luck......I could change my life but I think I'm lucky to just hover around average.
Great post! It's for replies like this that make such a thread as this, worthwhile. I get to find out who has some brains and excellent insight in this forum also.

Let's take your second to the last paragraph. One thing in this life that has always bothered me, for which I'm not sure if there always is a solution...but it is the guy who lived pragmaticly. A good family man who worked hard his entire life. Did not blow his money on useless things or bad habits. Actually went without in many regards...frugal... just so he could have something someday when he retired. Only for a sudden heart attack to kill him at age 65. Bummer.

Old 07-02-06, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
but it is the guy who lived pragmaticly. A good family man who worked hard his entire life. Did not blow his money on useless things or bad habits. Actually went without in many regards...frugal... just so he could have something someday when he retired. Only for a sudden heart attack to kill him at age 65. Bummer.

Reminds me of 2 painters I used to work with, both the same age, life long friends. Gary drank 1 case of beer [or more] daily and 4 packs of smokes and enjoyed good health. Fred rarely drank and never in excess, never smoked and tried to eat healthy - you guessed it Fred had a multitude of health problems. Fred never understood and thought it wasn't fair, Gary didn't care or if he did he just drank another beer and forgot

Old 07-03-06, 11:43 AM
If you're looking for a good reference, read the Bible.

I believe all good and bad things happen for "a reason". I have had bad things happen to me in life but found the reasons behind it.

Had a baby at a young age...it straightened me out, gave me another reason to live, made me grow up and mature, etc. I am VERY happy for this b/c I don't know where I would be at in life if this did not happen to me.

Had a major car accident...got money for it (other person's fault) and was able to buy my first car (I didn't have one at the time and depended on others for rides. ) I had no health insurance at the time so the money paid for my $33,000 hospital bill.

So a lot of it is how you look at the whole thing. Sometimes you think there's no reason behind the "bad luck" that it's just what it is...but it's there for a reason. Maybe to wake you up from living a bad life, maybe to help others in a sense, maybe to (if you believe in God) draw you closer to Him, draw you away from evil, to be able to share with others what happened to you so you can help them...

For all these reason, for all the bad things in life, for the reason why earth is earth and heaven is heaven...I can't wait to die on earth and go to heaven!

Old 07-03-06, 08:07 PM
tae
in years past medical technology wasnt able to keep us alive past the first trauma, let alone the 6th or 7th. there are many stories on the net about bad luck or hard luck. like the ups driver on his way to deliver some medical equipment parts. gets in a wreck, taken to the hospital by ambulance, only to die because the machine needed to save him was broke and the repair parts were...............you guessed it, back in his truck at the scene of the accident.

Old 07-14-06, 12:56 PM
that's why you should live everyday as if it were your last. you never know when it'll be your time to go. be thankful & enjoy what you have, because you never know when it could all be gone. that goes for everything: possessions, your job, your health, family, friends, etc.

when you're bummed out, remember: things could always - truly - be worse.

have you heard the story about the farmer & his wife? i'm terrible at remembering details but it was something like, he was a hardworking Christian man, but very poor, his crops had been ruined, he had nothing, he'd had to sell everything, except for one cow. it was all he & his wife had left. then a bad storm came & his only cow was killed by lightning. he was devastated. he dropped to his knees, shook his fists toward the heavens & cried out "why God? why?! haven't i had to endure enough? why would you do this to me and take my only cow?" and God replied that he'd actually spared his wife by diverting the lightning bolt to the cow.

i know i botched that up, but you get the idea. everything happens for a reason, and we won't understand it til we get to heaven. i think that's called Faith.

don't let your neighbors' misfortune & suffering be for nothing. learn from it. appreciate that you have it pretty good (i'm assuming) compared to them.

Old 07-14-06, 02:00 PM
I'm gonna agree with DIYaddict's first line.

Without trying to turn this thread into something else, I will say that a lot of people who don't believe - haven't even read more than 2 versus of the Bible.

The answers are there

Old 07-14-06, 02:20 PM
another religion-based theory as to why some people have it easy & others hard, is that God only gives people as much to deal with as he knows they can handle. so maybe these unfortunate people are really the strong types of people who can handle it. i think that goes along with the saying about that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

aren't you in the least bit inspired by these unfortunate neighbors? i mean, as bad as their lives seem to you, they're still kickin! they're up & going & doing the best they can. maybe their misery is supposed to be your inspiration? maybe you're looking at this the wrong way. maybe it isn't unfortunate that the Vietnam vet died shortly after finally returning home safely - maybe he was blessed with some extra time with his family & "should've" died in Vietnam?