The Autocool

Old 07-01-06, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Autocool

Remember how someone brought up in the Automotive forum here, a while back, how he wanted to come up with some sort of jury-rig a/c system for his VW? And that I said that I have actually thought of the same thing? That whoever could come up with a cheap a/c system for a/c-less cars (or ones so on the fritz it would cost a lot to repair) would make a fortune? Well....

...last night on tv they are advertising this revolutionary new product called the Autocool. It is solar powered. You crack down your window and clip it ontop of the glass. It is about the size of two cigarette packs side by side. (or there abouts). It looks like it only has like about a 2 1/2 inch fan blade in it. They showed two identical black cars parked next to each other out in the sun and claimed the one had a 107 degre temp inside while the one with the Autocool had 75 degrees inside!

They said nothing about this being an a/c system per se. The idea of this thing is that when you park, I guess, that when the car sits in the hot sun, this device keeps the car cool.

I presume there is a website for this product where we can learn more about it, but I haven't gone to it yet.

Any of you know of this product and have anything to say about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 04:23 PM
nap
I believe this is simply a powered venting system. We all know how hot a car can get when setting in the sun, especially with the windows closed. It could not keep the car any cooler than ambient temperature but even that is better than than 100º + car.

Did you see that inventor show? They had a young kid on there that actually did have an air conditioning unit similar to this but much larger. He felt it would aid all the animals that get taken for a ride with their owners. He got shot down faster than Jap Zero in a dogfight with an f-18 hornet.

Too bad,I though it was a good idea.

Believe it or not, I just saw the commercial on TV. Here is the website for the Autocool

Autocool

Last edited by nap; 07-01-06 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 02:19 PM
Thanx Nap. I went to the site and listened to the ad. Neat. Makes you want to go out and buy one, eh? Only $14.95 + s & h. Plus a cup/change holder thrown in for free.

It seems unbelievable though how such a tiny fan can move enough air out of the car to make up for the solar gain coming through all the glass. I wouldn't doubt if there is some disclaimer included with the product that says it will not work if the sun is coming in through a lot of the glass. Could be wrong...but I wouldn't doubt it. There are sooooo many scams out there that are made legit simply by having moneyback guarantees.

Here is a case in point: Take a trailer. You can put a box fan in a window set on high and suck ambient air through the house. The fan will not be able to keep up with the solar gain from the roof and windows!

Imo, products should not be able to be sold if they don't perform up to claims made; guarantee or no guarantee. JMO

I just recently arrived at my friends to use his computer and post. Guess what I was doing back where I live? Vinegaring grass and weeds and hand pulling some...and hearing the news that Jay Bush and his dog where going to be the honorary guests to lead the parade in a nearby town where they have a Bush's plant there. Odd that the parade is today and fireworks were shot off last night. There were sparkler fireworks and necklace shaped ones that I never saw before. I have never before seen such a 'fountain' going of those sparkler type fireworks. You could even hear the sound of them, as it sounded like sparklers and the whole sky lit up and stayed lit up and afterwards there was this huge cloud of smoke.

Old 07-02-06, 02:28 PM
tae
I had one of these (or simular) a solar power fan. Don't waste your money, just crack the window.

Old 07-04-06, 08:17 PM
I just saw the ad on tv regular $40 tv price 14.99 + the cup holder with weather stripping to keep your car water tight

Old 07-05-06, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys.

I just thought I'd also share that I performed an experiment regarding this, over the 4th. The neighbors gathered around to see what I was doing.
I took a 96 watt, 10 inch box fan and put it in my passenger window. I sealed around the fan and window with cardboard and duct tape so the air I was exhausting would have to be pulled through the other side of the car. I then rolled the opposite window down 5 inches. It was 73 degrees out and the sun was hot. I had 96 in the car just above my front seat, with the passenger and and drivers windows down about 5 inches! I ran the fan on high. The temp very rapidly dropped inside to 89 degrees. That was it. Even theough the outside shade temp was 73!

Then I decided that I really should raise the drivers window up to about 1 1/2 inches to simulate how a person would maybe do it if they didn't want stuff stolen out of their car. The temperature went up to 92.

My next door neighbor said he too saw the tv ad and was thinking about getting one. After seeing my experiment he said something to the effect that he really DID have a hard time believing some tiny fan like the Autocool could more than keep up with the hot sun entering your windows and roof, and now he isn't going to buy one for sure.

He agreed with me that maybe the government should require companies making (most likely in this case) outlandish claims regarding a product, that they must prove that it works. And if there are any asterisks involved that these asterisks must be pointed out in the ad itself. NOT on the package after you have sent for it. That even if there is a money back guarantee, the product should not be allowed on the market if the company knowingly is peddling a product they know can't live up to it's billing, and is going to make big money from all those people who don't send for their money back.

Old 08-01-06, 07:48 AM
Autocool fan is a ripoff

Don't waste your money. I think this is a scam. It does not work. And the "FREE" cupholder is not free. They charge you shipping and handling.If you order more than one, you pay a shipping and handling charge on each one. They are VERY slow on refunds. I think the shipping and handling is probably more than what they pay to make them. Also, if it is very, very hot, the plastic parts on the fan can MELT!!

Old 08-01-06, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by susanherna

Don't waste your money. I think this is a scam. It does not work. And the "FREE" cupholder is not free. They charge you shipping and handling.If you order more than one, you pay a shipping and handling charge on each one. They are VERY slow on refunds. I think the shipping and handling is probably more than what they pay to make them. Also, if it is very, very hot, the plastic parts on the fan can MELT!!
Do you know these claims from first hand experience or tales you have heard?

Old 08-08-06, 08:47 AM
Thumbs down thumbs down

a co-worker just bought one. she put a thermometer in her car to see just how well it would (or wouldn't) work. yesterday, when we left work, it was probably about 100 degrees out. her autocool fan was installed & working, but the temperature in her car was still 120 or more (her thermometer only went to 120 and it was on 120). from her experience, i'd say they don't work. certainly not well enough anyway. it's too bad - it was a good idea, in theory.....

Old 08-08-06, 08:53 AM
Theres a catch I bet on how well it works.they won't tell you untill you buy it but I bet the fine print says.Do not use when car is in direct sun light or the outside temp is about 80 degrees and the inside temp is 90 degrees.Somthing like that I bet.Thats how they get you.

Old 08-08-06, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe that this showed up on local TV in a "Don't Waste Your money" segment.

Old 08-08-06, 09:43 AM
Our local paper reviewed the product and said it was a complete waste of money. Just use your common sense and thinking about it for a bit. It is definitely a scam.