'interesting' story not true

Old 07-03-06, 06:29 AM
Post 'interesting' story not true

Hi All....
Just learned that the mulch story is not true.... the termites chewed holes right thru this one.... :-)

Termite-infested mulch rumors are false Don't be surprised if anxious customers begin asking if the mulch you sell is infested with termites. An e-mail rumor peaked last week that mulch made from trees blown over by Hurricane Katrina is infested with Formosan termites and is being sold to the public, primarily through Home Depot. Louisiana State Univ. rebutted the rumor, releasing a statement that the affected area, although infested with Formosan termites, is under quarantine, and no untreated wood
products harvested from Katrina would be on the market legally. Web site Snopes.com originally had the rumor listed as "undetermined," which increased consumer fears. Bob LaGasse, exec. dir. of Mulch & Soil Council, contacted Snopes.com last Friday with up-to-the-minute information on the mulch, and the Web site updated
the rumor from "undetermined" to "false."

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 10:02 AM
I saw that on a news story here a while back that it was just a tall tale.

I have noticed though in our local used car magazine "the free one you get at the gas staions and grocery stores" full page ads and all the cars are flood damaged. At least these guys are disclosing it. I just wonder how many will be brought back to life and sold to people not knowing they were flood damaged. More of a reason to get a carfax report I guess.

Old 07-03-06, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our local newspaper had an article on the mulch a month or two ago - I was suprised that it was news worthy

I too would be concerned about buying a used car today without knowing the cars history. I'm sure there will be lots of flood damaged/repaired cars sold all over the south - maybe even further.

Old 07-03-06, 02:09 PM
nap
Originally Posted by marksr
Our local newspaper had an article on the mulch a month or two ago - I was suprised that it was news worthy

I too would be concerned about buying a used car today without knowing the cars history. I'm sure there will be lots of flood damaged/repaired cars sold all over the south - maybe even further.
The bad part is they will probably be shipped in large groups to other areas not involved with the hurricanes.

People in Oregon tend not to think about hurricane damage as much as those in La will when they buy a car.

Old 07-05-06, 12:54 PM
cambece
Visiting Guest
Could that happen? i mean would a company allow that to happen

Cambece

Old 07-05-06, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think alot of companys don't care how good a product is as long as they make money why should they care. companys like to make thngs cheaper and faster so they make a bigger profit and don't care where they get the product to sell as long as they get it cheap.I.E went to a hardware store to get a box fan took it home fired it up and the motor was over heating. took it back exchanged it for another one same problem took it back and got my money back and guess what. the hardware store no longer carrys that brand (to many people wanted refunds I Guess).This was all in the same day got my money back

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-05-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by cambece
Could that happen? i mean would a company allow that to happen Cambece
Unfortunatetly there are few unscrupulous compainies out there. For some the only concern is to make a buck - fair play and honesty isn't a concern for them

Old 07-08-06, 09:46 PM
KLR
I dont know...

I bought 2 bags of mulch for my tortoise habitat a few weeks ago at Home depot.
After dumping it out and I starting to spread it around I noticed there were ALOT (100's) of eggs of some sort in it. They were about 4-5 mm. in dia. and you could see "something" inside. They squished quite nicely when ya smooshed them.
I dont know what they were but I cleaned up all the stuff out of my tortoise habitat and threw it out, I bought different stuff at a local store.... It smelled pretty funky also, kind of moldy.