Theory: If you can hold tons of liquor without a hangover...

Old 07-07-06, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Theory: If you can hold tons of liquor without a hangover...

...can that indicate you are a healthier person than someone who has their blood get contaminated by just a few drinks and easily gets a hangover, and or feels jittery or gets headaches?

I have 3 beers on an empty stomach in the course of say 1 1/2 hours and the next day I feel a little giddyish/dizzy and may feel jittery and plain not feel...plain feel like my blood must have been contaminated and hasn't rejuvinated.

This 45 year old guy that I know can have 18 beers a day and get up bright eyed and bushy-tailed after being staggering drunk that day, and be ready for work at 7:30 the next day and act like he never had a drink!!! I told hime he should have Mayo study him! (I seriously told him that) Or, maybe they need to study ME to see what is wrong. Obviously, his body must make brand new blood overnight, or somehow wash out all the toxins, completely where mine isn't doing it. And he said he had at LEAST 18 and may have had more. He has been known for years to consume this volume on a regular basis. He is built just like me, and people even get us mixed up. He is about 5-11 and a light to medium weight person.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-06, 04:17 PM
lol...I don't think that's how it goes. I can't explain it but read this...it should make sense...I think it does. If you are correct, then I am VERY unhealthy.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/alcohol3.htm

Old 07-07-06, 04:37 PM
So DIY,

You can't hold yor liquor either? Neither could what's his name in that one 'Back To the Future' movie. I loved that one part, when they were in that saloon, back in the wild west of the 1800s.

Old 07-07-06, 04:44 PM
Wink

Yep...that's why I don't drink anymore unless I want to go to sleep. Back to the Future...loved that movie but I still gotta go back and watch it again to know what you're talking about. LOL

I'm moving this thread to chat and whines.

Old 07-07-06, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
First, ethyl alcohol is a poison to the human body, but some like the effects of a mild case of poisoning, namely getting buzzed or drunk. The liver is the organ of the body that processes the poison to get it out of your body. The more alcohol it sees, the more it will convert itself into an alcohol clearing machine. Thus, your buddy simply has more of his liver converted to this process. That isn't good. Just because he has a mechanism in place for clearing more than you does not mean he is not suffering damage from the alcohol, because he is and the damage is proportional to the amount of alcohol ingested.

Old 07-07-06, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
First, ethyl alcohol is a poison to the human body, but some like the effects of a mild case of poisoning, namely getting buzzed or drunk. The liver is the organ of the body that processes the poison to get it out of your body. The more alcohol it sees, the more it will convert itself into an alcohol clearing machine. Thus, your buddy simply has more of his liver converted to this process. That isn't good. Just because he has a mechanism in place for clearing more than you does not mean he is not suffering damage from the alcohol, because he is and the damage is proportional to the amount of alcohol ingested.
So then...he could in effect be killing himseklf even though he appears healthy, and can handle the booze? His brother died at age 39 from his liver being shot from alcohol!

Old 07-07-06, 06:26 PM
Yep. That's why a lot of alcholics have liver problems and/or die from it. You gotta read that site I posted about how's and why's.

Old 07-08-06, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
So then...he could in effect be killing himseklf even though he appears healthy, and can handle the booze? His brother died at age 39 from his liver being shot from alcohol!
Not could be, is. At the rate he's downing the stuff, he'll probably not live long enough to worry about whether social secruity still has funds available.

Old 07-08-06, 06:01 PM
Did I tell you how on the 4th he was aimlessly riding his bike like a little kid, meandering through back yards as people had lawn chairs outside watching the fireworks? He didn't have a clue where he was at or what he was doing. I could tell. His eyes looked glazed over. Yet, the next day, he acted like someone who ate health foods and slept 10 hours.

I haven't read that site yet, and it's getting late and I have shopping to do and have to leave my friends apt. soon. But I promise to read it and comment.

Old 07-10-06, 09:18 AM
You can also read the government warning label on any (I believe "any") alcholic drinks. "...and may cause health problems".

Maybe your friend was still drinking the next day too..

Old 07-10-06, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Speaking of alcohol, I saw a good sticker on someone's bulletin board today:

"I'd still rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy".

Old 07-10-06, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Speaking of alcohol, I saw a good sticker on someone's bulletin board today:

"I'd still rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy".

Saw a new drink named after Teddy: the Chapaquitic - it's scotch and murky water.

Old 07-11-06, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
An oldie, but goodie: "More people died at Chappaquidick than at Three Mile Island".

Search this Thread