Would you pick up a penny?

Old 07-10-06, 01:53 PM
Would you pick up a penny?

How about a quarter?

Me and my son were at the 7-Eleven the other day and got to the register with a BIG ol' line behind us. I looked down on the floor and saw a quarter. Thought for a while, while I was payin' for our stuff..."how can I pick this up????!" Yeah, I was a little too overly excited on a quarter, but still! So after I finished paying I just bent over, picked it up, handed it to my son and we left. Maybe that's an odd question, but I just thought...I wonder what the other people in line were thinking...but then again - who cares?!!! I'm a quarter richer! Wait a minute...should I have given the quarter to 7-Eleven?

I've probably picked up a penny or 2 found on the street but they ended up in my pocket and out with the laundry.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 02:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
How about a quarter?

Me and my son were at the 7-Eleven the other day and got to the register with a BIG ol' line behind us. I looked down on the floor and saw a quarter. Thought for a while, while I was payin' for our stuff..."how can I pick this up????!" Yeah, I was a little too overly excited on a quarter, but still! So after I finished paying I just bent over, picked it up, handed it to my son and we left. Maybe that's an odd question, but I just thought...I wonder what the other people in line were thinking...but then again - who cares?!!! I'm a quarter richer! Wait a minute...should I have given the quarter to 7-Eleven?

I've probably picked up a penny or 2 found on the street but they ended up in my pocket and out with the laundry.
My dad once found $4 + in change on the sidewalk over a couple of days IN THE SAME SPOT Just don't pick up a penny if its face down bad luck

Old 07-10-06, 02:14 PM
I may get bad luck, but I'll be a dollar richer every 100 times I do it. I will always pick up money I see on the floor or sidewalk.
DIYaddict: No reason to give that quarter to the 7-11. If they dropped it, they would have come around to pick it up.

Old 07-10-06, 02:19 PM
cambece
Visiting Guest
my rule is if it shines i pick it up

Cambece

Old 07-10-06, 02:19 PM
Me..........I throw pennies away. Not cause I'm rich, just because they weigh me down and are barely worth a cent. The US mint is thinking about dropping pennies.

I even chuck out dimes and nickels sometimes if people leave them cluttering up counters and cupboards around the house.

A quarter, I would pick up.....but if someone picked up a penny... I'd think...whats that about?

Found a 100.00 bill once on the golf course. My wife found a 100.00 voucher in Vegas ata machine that someone had cashed out and forgotten and she just found 40.00 in a parking lot this weekend.

On the other hand, I've lost a few 20.00 bills in my day.

Old 07-10-06, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
My dad once found $4 + in change on the sidewalk over a couple of days IN THE SAME SPOT Just don't pick up a penny if its face down bad luck
Where's that spot???!!! I'm headed there. LOl!

Bad luck? So if ya see a $20 bill face down...still bad luck? Or would ya pick it up still?...or is that with pennies only?lol

Majak: Nice "phrase"...I'm gonna think about that every time I see a penny now. BTW: If it was $1 or $5 or more...THEN should I be obligated to give to them? Or, still doesn't matter.

Cambece: NICE...! I used to think the same thing until every stupid shiny thing I saw and picked up was nothing. lol...no offense.

mjd2k:...you "chuck out"...meaning, throw out???!!!! Sheeeesh! Hand 'em over! I can't believe you found $100! Did ya stick it in your pocket and try not to let anyone see you do that??? Curious....I would. Or, I'd say, "Hey, that's mine!" SWEET!

Old 07-10-06, 03:11 PM
I'm not too proud that I wont pick up money, even if it's a penny off the ground. A year or so ago a few friends and I were sitting on a wall eating lunch when across the street this lady "homeless/mental" came out of Wendy's yelling and screaming and looked across the street and yelled "WHAT THE "explicit cuss word" ARE YOU LOOKING AT" and threw a handfull of change at us from across the street. I calmly got up and collected it and put it in my pocket. I was a $1.52 richer that day.

Old 07-10-06, 03:20 PM
casey

Originally Posted by lexmarks567
people in my church save pennies for the children,every year they collect all the pennies and give them to a charity.
its good for children to do this

Old 07-10-06, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by casey
its good for children to do this
I agree!

...and its good for adults too...

Old 07-10-06, 03:31 PM
If you see a penny and pick it up all day long you will have good luck except if its face down

Old 07-10-06, 04:22 PM
I don't know about good or bad luck, but I stoppped picking up pennies years ago. I figured God gives us just so many bend overs in life and I didn't want to waste mine on a penny.

However, I do save mine, along with my other pocket change. We use them for vacation. last month I turned in the years supply before our Hawaii trip. I had $457 in change. It paid for a nice dinner and an extra couple of rounds of golf.

Old 07-10-06, 04:28 PM
DIY....Yes I chuck the pennies. I could send them to you but the postage would cost more than they are worth. I bet I've thrown out about 500 pennies so far.......which is only 5 bucks. To me, they are more trouble than they are worth. Most stores up here have penny jars at the tills that people chuck their pennies into so the next person can use them to make correct change.

I had that 100 bucks spent before I got back to the cottage. Bought T bones, rye, beer etccc and had a darned decent party (this was about 20 years ago so 100 dollars went a lot farther.)

Old 07-10-06, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by cambece
my rule is if it shines i pick it up

Cambece
I saw a chromed man-hole cover once

Old 07-10-06, 05:29 PM
I pick up pennies...usually. It's more fun though and obviously more rewarding if you see one...then another...then a nickel, etc. I have this happen when I clean out the inside of dryers down inside when I take them apart. I have this sensation that comes over me like I have just uncovered some lost treasure.

Old 07-10-06, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
I'll pick up any money, even canadian. I found a five dollar bill when I was five years old (long time ago) and threw it down when I saw it was ripped. My father persuaded me to pick it up and I used it to buy my first tape measure.

Old 07-10-06, 06:15 PM
When I was younger I found a 10 dollar bill at the beach got me a couple toys with that.Also found $5 when I was swimming it was under the water on the bottom.

Old 07-10-06, 06:27 PM
I had a pay telephone booth turn into a slot machine on me one night after I called home to Wisconsin from Sarasota, Florida where I was living for a while, and it went "Ching-ching", after I hung up the phone, and a whole slew of change (mostly quarters) filled up the coin return. Then I took the money, raised the holder back up and it filled up again. I wound up with about $8.50.

Old 07-10-06, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=mitch17]when I was five years old (long time ago) /QUOTE]

How long ago? j/k

That's really cute....a tape measure! At the age of 5, I was only thinking about candy. $5 back then is a lot of money. Actually, $5 now...is still a lot.

You guys are so funny! It's good to know you guys do pick up little change (and even big ones).

Old 07-10-06, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
I'll pick up any money, even canadian.
Ha Ha.........

( )

Old 07-11-06, 05:34 PM
$5 back then is a lot of money. Actually, $5 now...is still a lot.
That's because even though the value of 5 has changed, the NUMBER 5 is still a quantified number which is not a lot but a fair amount.

And because of this, you would think you'd still be able to find kids who would mow a yard for 5 bucks. But good luck on that. I am clueless when it comes to this and...well, I'm just at a loss in trying to figure this out.

If I had the stamina now that I had when I was mowing yards back then (and snowshoveling huge driveways one after the next in the winter), I would beat the competion and mow like 8 or so peoples yards a day for $5 each and make out pretty well. I am at a loss to figure out why kids don't do this.

Old 07-11-06, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
If I had the stamina now that I had when I was mowing yards back then (and snowshoveling huge driveways one after the next in the winter), I would beat the competion and mow like 8 or so peoples yards a day for $5 each and make out pretty well. I am at a loss to figure out why kids don't do this.
Our society has changed and, in general, children now don't have the ambition or work ethic that children of past generations had.

Old 07-11-06, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Our society has changed and, in general, children now don't have the ambition or work ethic that children of past generations had.
My son is 13 and has 5 yards he mows on a bi-weekly schedule and in the winter he rakes leaves and shovels snow. He's alway been a hard worker and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Old 07-11-06, 06:37 PM
I'm guessing it's all based on how we were brought up and how we teach our kids and what it is they learn (from tv shows and their peers).

I was brought up working hard....I should've rubbed that on my son but I don't know why I don't. He'll only mow for $10. When I say $5....he thinks about it for a while. So now...I just tell him to mow and he gets no $$$.

Old 07-11-06, 06:46 PM
I'm guessing it's all based on how we were brought up and how we teach our kids and what it is they learn (from tv shows and their peers).

I was brought up working hard....I should've rubbed that on my son but I don't know why I don't. He'll only mow for $10. When I say $5....he thinks about it for a while. So now...I just tell him to mow and he gets no $$$.
In the winter I snowblow my elderly naghbors drive way and she gives me $20 I don't remember how It started or how I
started getting paid. I would do it for free but she says " But I want to pay you".oh well

Old 07-11-06, 06:51 PM
How sweet of her! How hard is snowblowing??? vs. mowing? $20 is good money!

Old 07-11-06, 06:59 PM
How sweet of her! How hard is snowblowing??? vs. mowing? $20 is good money!
I don't cut here gas she has a lawn company do it.And it depends on the snow. If its real heavy show and a foot deap it takes a couple pushes to get the blower to move through it.If it the light fluffy snow its no effort. But I got a 2-stage this year for $10 off of ebay so I will see if thats any better.

Old 07-11-06, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison
My son is 13 and has 5 yards he mows on a bi-weekly schedule and in the winter he rakes leaves and shovels snow. He's alway been a hard worker and I couldn't be prouder of him.

As I said, in general, the children now are lazier than before, but there are always exceptions and it's always nice to hear about them. Nice job, Mattison!

Old 07-12-06, 05:31 PM
That is an interesting all-encompasing sentence because there is maybe a clash of ideals there. Those who do things based on old fashioned upbringing, let's say, could very well have different views, as opposed to the ones today who are glued to watching trashy tv., or listening to their friends who spew forth verbiage from the gutter, and think the world revolves around them.

Old 07-14-06, 11:23 AM
i won't pick up a penny. i'm kinda with Wayne on that one. not worth the energy expended nor the wear & tear on the back! i don't pitch them though. but we gals carry purses & wallets so spending them isn't as big a deal.

i'll consider picking up a silver coin but only if it looks pretty clean & the floor/ground isn't too gross (and i'm not wearing one of my super short mini skirts at the time....j/k! ). a nasty looking quarter sitting in the middle of an oil spot in a gross parking lot? ~ forget it.

Old 07-15-06, 07:52 PM
It's amazing how things change with age. When I was a kid you would swear I won lotto if I found a coin on the ground. My neice was so excited the other weekend because she thought my lawn was "growing money". Course she did not notice I would fling coins in the lawn for her to pick up. Now I just don't bother. Though once I did find a clump of dollar bills in the parking lot after work one night. So I guess now my minimum requirement is a buck....

Old 07-16-06, 12:58 AM
If Im on my bike and I see a coin or any kind of money bigger than a penny I will SLAM on the breaks and either back up or do a U turn and pick that coin up.No sense letting good money go to wast.Money is very hard to get these days.Unless your in the shoe buisness than look out for that one person who will buy the store out now who do we know that would do that

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-16-06 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 06:39 AM
I would beat the competion and mow like 8 or so peoples yards a day for $5 each and make out pretty well. I am at a loss to figure out why kids don't do this.
That works out to about $5 an hour. Not a very good wage.
I mow my own lawn, it takes about 3-4 hours with a 42" mower deck. Add another hour for trimming.
Every now and then a kid will stop by and offer to mow it. They usually want $40-50 using my mower. When we go on vacation I pay a lawn care co. to mow it once a week. They charge $70 per mow. That sounds like a lot, but it works out to about $20 an hour for them. Subtract their expenses (mower gas, truck gas, equipment maintenance etc) and it seems reasonable.

Old 07-16-06, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hammylinky
Course she did not notice I would fling coins in the lawn for her to pick up.
Remember the old Saturday Night Live's where Uncle Buck (Henry) would drop things on the floor so his nieces had to bend over to pick up stuff so he could cop a peek?

Old 07-16-06, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
That works out to about $5 an hour. Not a very good wage.
I mow my own lawn, it takes about 3-4 hours with a 42" mower deck. Add another hour for trimming.
Every now and then a kid will stop by and offer to mow it. They usually want $40-50 using my mower. When we go on vacation I pay a lawn care co. to mow it once a week. They charge $70 per mow. That sounds like a lot, but it works out to about $20 an hour for them. Subtract their expenses (mower gas, truck gas, equipment maintenance etc) and it seems reasonable.
Gee. What do say 12-14 year old kids expect for a wage?

Also, and at the age of 45 years old, I could still practically run with my lawn mower and mow MY lawn in about 15 minutes.

But naturally, you have to figure in down time from moving to the next yard and getting the mower over there. But still. What do kids expect for money...anyhow? I can see a college kid turning it down because they could get some other job that might be cleaner and air conditioned. But for a kid that can't get a regular job, you'd think they would go for making even $20 a day.

$70 to mow your yard? Do the have to do anything else like pull weeds out of the flower bed/bushes, or to edge? And how big is that yard of yours? (lot size less square footage of house-garage-outbuilding(s). And are there lots of trees to mow around or divided sections of the yard here there are multiple tiers to negotiate, etc.?

Depending on what you say about the size of your yard, and their expected duties, I can't comment yet on their necessary expenses.

Old 07-16-06, 06:41 PM
I guess the point I was trying to make is that it's all relative. $10 an hour is an OK wage in some areas and not very good in others. I agree that $5 an hour is pretty good for a 12 year old kid, but I wouldn't let a kid that age mow my lawn.

I mow just under 2 acres. Through June I mow it twice a week. It takes me 3-4 hours and about $6-8 in gas. That's why I don't complain when I'm charged $70 to have it mowed.

Old 07-18-06, 04:51 PM
I just found a quorter in the street picked it up now im 25 cents richer.

I saw a chromed man-hole cover once
That would be kind of hard to pick up and put in your pocket

Search this Thread