Deodorant

Old 07-12-06, 03:48 PM
Deodorant

Stinky question but does deodorant expire???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Not to my knowledge, but theoretically everything expires eventually. Seems to me that if you use it every day you shouldn't have any sitting around long enough to worry about it.

Old 07-12-06, 07:57 PM
If product has no expiration date on it, then the product is assumed to be stable enough to not expire prior its being used up as based on anticipated daily usage.

Old 07-13-06, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gee, sometimes my deodorant expires if I work too hard in the hot sun

Old 07-13-06, 05:10 AM
Did you come into a whole case of it or what DIY ? For the cost I think I'd just buy a new stick.

Old 07-13-06, 09:05 AM
lol...well, not that I stink or anything but I generally only have to use it in the summer time b/c I don't sweat badly enough during the other seasons to need it. I've had this same deodorant for 2 years (I know...probably strange) but it seems now that it's not working as well. Does that make sense?

I know...I WAS just going to buy a new one but if I could save money here and there...it'd be great. I know it's not THAT much...BUT...still. Or someone can lend a helping hand a send me one. lol...I like the clear stick by the way. Thanks! :P

Old 07-14-06, 03:30 AM
Perhaps a scentless antiperspirant would be more effective than a deodorant?

Old 07-14-06, 09:01 AM
Hmmm...that's interesting. I'll look into that. I'm not familiar with any of those products but I'll check it out next time I go to the store. Thanks!

Old 07-19-06, 11:58 AM
it depends on what you mean by "not working". there are antiperspirants, which reduce wetness, and there are deodorants, which deodorize, and there are antiperspirant deodorants, which are a combination of the two. so, what's your problem???? stinky or sweaty??

Old 07-19-06, 12:11 PM
According to my wife, ladies don't sweat. Under certain circumstances they glow. Never would a woman "stink".

At least that was her opinion until we took the subway in Rome at rush hour. Pretty intense.

Old 07-19-06, 12:15 PM
Oh ok...then I glo and stink at the same time. lol I didn't really want to answer that question, but I'll admit I stink and sweat but NOT extremely bad! I thot deodorants stop sweat and the sweat smells. Now I'm confused. I should read the labels? Geez...learning something new everyday!

Old 07-19-06, 12:23 PM
i've always thought the antiperspirant/deo combo was probably the way to go. reduce the moisture & the threat of odor would be less. add in the deo & theoretically, you shouldn't smell bad at all!

i had a gym teacher tell us once that there are 2 kinds of sweat - the kind that stinks is produced from perspiration caused by stress, and the sweat you produce from physical exercise doesn't smell at all. i'm not sure i believe that though. i think she was just trying to convince us all to exercise more. anyone else ever heard of that?

nevertheless, even though there's no expiration date, i'd toss 2 year old stuff since it's not doing the job (for whatever the reason). go shopping & treat yourself to one of the newer kinds that doesn't leave white stuff on dark tank tops!!!!

Old 07-19-06, 12:39 PM
I dunno about the sweat from physical exercise and the no smell from it. I don't believe it unless physical exercise and "working" really hard around the home are 2 different things. Basically, that's the only time I really sweat is when I have to do manual labor.

Maybe if I let the hair grow out from under my armpits it'll soak up the sweat and I won't have to get an antipersperant (how do you spell that???!). Gross!

I actually have the clear deordorant that smells like watermelon. lol! Yeah...my armpits smell like fruit! Ha ha.

Old 07-19-06, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=DIYaddict]Maybe if I let the hair grow out from under my armpits it'll soak up the sweat and I won't have to get an antipersperant (how do you spell that???!). Gross!
QUOTE]

now i'm sure that wouldn't work! actually, i think the hair sort of traps the moisture & stinky stuff. shaving is definitely better for less odor. and i believe the antiperspirant doesn't absorb the sweat, it does something (constricts them maybe?) to your sweat glands/pores to keep you from producing as much sweat. i think.

why don't sweaty little kids smell like B.O.????

Old 07-19-06, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
why don't sweaty little kids smell like B.O.????
I think it has to do w/puberty! I actually just told my 11 yr old son I'll be looking to get him some deodorant since he's almost there.

BUT then I'm thinking deodorant just clogs up the pores and that's not good???

Also...then maybe guys should shave their armpits too!...but...then that wouldn't be very "manly" would it?!

Old 07-19-06, 01:04 PM
actually a male physician that i know shaves his armpits. he was developing rashes or something from his deo/anti, so he decided to use an alternative method: shaving and washing when needed. guess it works for him.

Old 07-22-06, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Stinky question but does deodorant expire???
Yes
There is a date stamped on it somewhere
If it's not an actual date (Ex. 10/04), it's in "code" along with the lot # (C=Jan, E= '05 or sim.)

Old 07-22-06, 01:31 PM
I thot deodorants stop sweat and the sweat smells. Now I'm confused. I should read the labels?
I forget which one it was, but one of the big antiperspirant companies used this slogan for years:

"Keeps you drier than the leading deodorant"

Of course it does, it's an antiperspirant
Deodorants deodorize!

Old 07-22-06, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
actually a male physician that i know shaves his armpits. he was developing rashes or something from his deo/anti, so he decided to use an alternative method: shaving and washing when needed. guess it works for him.
....oooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy....
Nice story, if it helps him deal

I'm sure soon his pants will be giving him a rash and he'll be switching to dresses

Old 07-22-06, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
....oooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy....
Nice story, if it helps him deal

I'm sure soon his pants will be giving him a rash and he'll be switching to dresses

I got a real kick out of that reply slick...good one

Old 07-22-06, 04:15 PM
Just ROTFLOL! You guys are 2 funny!

Old 07-22-06, 04:16 PM
I forget which one it was, but one of the big antiperspirant companies used this slogan for years:

"Keeps you drier than the leading deodorant"

Of course it does, it's an antiperspirant
Deodorants deodorize!
I remember that slogan...but still can't remember which one. That's pretty smart.

Old 07-22-06, 05:06 PM
Yes
There is a date stamped on it somewhere
If it's not an actual date (Ex. 10/04), it's in "code" along with the lot # (C=Jan, E= '05 or sim.)
I just checked and there's no stamp. Really. Unless it's so old that it got rubbed off.

Old 07-22-06, 09:40 PM
I just checked and there's no stamp. Really. Unless it's so old that it got rubbed off.
uhhhh....or maybe it was before that regulation was put in to place. Which means it may have mutated into an antibiotic by now.

Old 07-22-06, 09:42 PM
nap
Any deoderants I have used have chemicals that evaporate from the rest of the stuff. It is very possible that whatever has evaporated is part of why you stink again.

Get a new stick and toss the old one.